Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat growls at toys

Bagsie'sDad
June 23rd, 2006, 12:13 AM
In october of last year my wife found a four week old kitten in a plastic bag with his two brothers. It was too late for them but Bagsie survived and is now our sometimes beloved pet. :evil: The rest of the time he's our little, furry pain in the butt. I've had a few cats growing up but my wife's family are more dog people (something I don't quite understand since I am an animal person).

Anyway, enough backround and on to my question. Bagsie does many things that I've not really seen, or in some cases even heard of, in other cats. One of those things is growling at his inanimate toys. When I play with him with something such as a mouse, I allow him to catch the mouse so that he feels like he's won. But once he has the toy he'll hold it in his mouth and growl. I've been taking it off of him when this happens but I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do, but when left he seems to get more and more worked up. If I take it from him and try to continue play he'll swipe at it, growl and/or hiss (in no specific order). Has anyone else experienced or heard of such a thing? Is this okay or something I should be concerned about? Any advice would be greatly appreciated:D

badger
June 23rd, 2006, 01:04 AM
I was going to say that sounds a bit like feral behaviour, but that would imply that feral 'genes' are inherited, since he has been with you almost his whole life. But who knows? Maybe you've just got a wild child.
I wouldn't worry about these episoides but I wouldn't encourage them either. However, if the aggression is directly at you, if he bites you for instance, walk away immediately.
Is he neutered? If not, this would definitely be a contributing factor.

chico2
June 23rd, 2006, 07:32 AM
I have 3 cats and sometimes if one of them has a"beloved"cat-nippy toy,he'll growl if another cat comes near it,not with me though..
I would not worry too much about it,but neutering of course is a must.
I to don't understand the terms dogpeople versus catpeople,I love ALL animals:D

Bagsie'sDad
June 23rd, 2006, 05:52 PM
Hi, thanks for the replies. I guess I should have stated that he is neutered. He's been neutered since he has about 3 1/2 to 4 months old. We were trying to avoid any problems with spraying so we neutered him as soon as his vet felt was okay. As far as showing aggression directly to us, he has a bit of a biting problem but I've come to the conclusion that it's just for attention. We don't have a lot of time to play with him and we live in a third floor condo (the closest to being outside for him is sitting out on the deck).

Originally this strange situation with growling started with a new toy we bought him at christmas that was a hamster on a stick with a very long tail. He loved it, but apparently a little too much, and it had be to kept away from him and brought out only when we could supervise him. Now it seems like any animal-like toy that we try to play with him with (peek-a-boo game usually) ends up with growling and the toy being confiscated. Balls don't seem to be a problem.

catsnatcher-CDN
June 23rd, 2006, 06:43 PM
My baby Dora, whom I found abandoned and poisoned at 2 weeks of age also had a rough start. She lost all her hair in the course of 2 weeks had to be on all sort of meds to help her recover before she was nursed back to health with a syringe full of formula.

She walks around my home crouched like she's dodging bullets and only comes out when there's no sign of life. She attacks pens, paint brushes and hair elastics much like your kitty. She carries them off someplace in the house where I never find them again. I'm convinced she's building a fort!

We all have our own demons to battle, I guess. ;)

badger
June 23rd, 2006, 07:25 PM
She's adorable. I love her name.

Bagsie'sDad, why don't you get a friend for your cat? A playmate would keep him occupied and blunt some of that aggression. They really do teach each other things. All kittens should come in pairs.
And you get to go down to your local shelter and save another cat. How cool is that?

catsnatcher-CDN
June 23rd, 2006, 07:47 PM
I love my Dora. (I had given up on her so many times and when there was no sign of improvement, stopped eating and had lost ALL her hair, I brought her to the vet twice to be euthanized. My vet told me both times to give her one more day. She almost didn't make it despite having being rescued, despite having been with me.)

I agree with Badger. I grew up with one cat for 12 years. It never occured to me to have 2 cats. A year after he passed away, I found Dora and then another one in a garbage bag at the park, I realized that cats are really much better in pairs. :fingerscr

Bagsie'sDad
June 26th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Well first of all, to be honest, although I love all animals, my wife and I actually didn't even want one cat nevermind two. I never had a dog as a child and yet always wanted one, so as soon as we moved to a place were we could have a dog (not currently allowed in our strata) that was to be the plan. But we just couldn't give this little guy up when my wife found him. Now he's our furry little kid. He was actually pretty friendly with my inlaws dog (in truth the dog's a bit of a wimp and was terrorized by the playful 5 lb kitten that just wanted to hide and pounce on him and we no longer take him over there - not my choice, I thought it was hilarious) so it may still be a possibility to introduce a canine friend (not quite what you had in mind). Secondly, we are currently only allowed one cat under strata. So even if we wanted to, we simply couldn't.

I had heard that two kitten's are a great idea, and I think it's wonderful for those who can and are willing. But unfortunately we are neither. :sorry:

chico2
June 26th, 2006, 06:31 AM
CS,Dora is beautiful:love:
It's too bad you could not consider 2 cats.
I have never had only one cat and I am beginning to believe,that a happy cat means having a pal,to play with,wrestle with and even curl up beside.
In many instances a dog can mean the same,with very careful introduction.

Bagsie'sDad
June 26th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I wish we were able to introduce a pup sooner while he's still young but it probably won't be for a few years. Hopefully he's grown out of this growling phase by then. I've already read a few things on this site and others about introducing a dog, and hopefully when his does happen they get along in that strange and funny way that only dogs and cats can (play, fight, bark, hiss, growl, cuddle). I've known a few people with success trying this and it was always a very odd and adorable relationship.