Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Excessive drooling

jkhill
January 12th, 2004, 10:13 AM
I have a chocolate Lab named Bob. Bob is 5 years old. Over a period of a month or two, Bob has times, maybe a couple times a week, that he will have excessive drool. It will drip almost continously. It seems to occur mostly in the evening. When he does this, it is apparent that he is just not feeling good. Usually the next morning he will seem fine.

Another behavior which may or may not be related. He seems to spend an inordinate amount of time licking his anus. I've had dogs all my life and I know that per say is not unusual, however it seems a little excessive with Bob.

I've already decided I need to get him into a Vet for a check-up but finances won't allow me to do so for another week. Bob got sick early this morning and I can tell he is not feeling good.

Any advice or directions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

http://www.johnkhill.com/BobImages/aBob15.jpg

Luba
January 12th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Is there excessive drinking that goes along with the drool and is it heavy panting as well?

The anus licking is anal glands probably. If they aren't emptying when the dog has a bowel movement it can irritate them. Your vet can empty them (an experienced owner can too but I warn u if u haven't done this before don't attempt to...its very messy an smelly and u could hurt ur dog)

Lucky Rescue
January 12th, 2004, 12:54 PM
The drooling episodes could be anything from a chronically painful oral condition, to seizures and everything in between!

When you see your vet, make sure you tell him in detail about these episodes - how the dog acts during and after them.

Agree with Luba about the licking.

Let us know what the vet says!

jkhill
January 12th, 2004, 01:47 PM
There isn't excessive drinking or panting. I initially thought maybe he was getting into something outside or in the house, but there doesn't seem to be any correlation with areas he frequents.

He may go most of a day without drinking much, then drink a bowl full. So thirst doesn't seem to play a direct relationship.

I've considered the possibility of a dental problem - like a tooth ache that comes and goes. My early thoughts were, he's too young to be having tooth problems, but that seems like more of a possibility.

I hope to get him in to a Vet within a day or two, sooner if necessary. I've mentioned the excessive licking to the Vet before but he didn't seem to be overly concerned about it. I think I will mention it again though.

All I really know is when he's not feeling good, I'm not feeling good. I need to get this boy bright-eyed and bushied tail again!

I appreciate everyone's input.