Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Young cat with severe heart murmur

PacificBlue
June 22nd, 2006, 09:46 PM
I adopted a beautiful young cat(1-2 yrs) from a rescue 2 months ago. I have had many health problems with her from upper respiratory problems, diarrhea, and now all of her hair is falling out which all could be from the horrible conditions she was taken from. She has been seen by 4 doctors and has a heart murmur rated between 5-6. Two Vets have said I should give her back to the rescue organization or try to find someone that will take in a special needs cat. It wasn't advised that I invest money into ultrasound,etc because it will be very costly and the outcome will probably be something that can't be corrected. They told me that her life is going to be short. She is a real sweetheart of a cat and is very active and playful. I finally got weight on her (she was in bad condition when I adopted her) and if I could only get the hair to grow back (she is a flamepoint ragdoll).
I really can't afford to have the ultrasound done but I feel like I should find someway to do this. Is there meds that she could take to help her? I really don't want to place her in another home since she had a rough start in life. But since I have another cat already, the doctor said it's better that she's an only cat because she sometimes chases after the other one. Anyone have some input or advice on what I should do or even what food is good for her? Right now it's between Nutro and Natures Balance. I just can't see giving up on her because she is very active and happy now. HELP!::confused:
Attached Images

doggy lover
June 22nd, 2006, 10:01 PM
My bosses dog has a heart murmur, and the vet told her the dog would not live as long as a dog without the murmur. The way I look at it if the kitty is happy being with you, let it live out what it has of life that way. Pets don't always survive as long as we would like due to cancer or other things, so why not keep her and let her be happy.

badger
June 22nd, 2006, 10:03 PM
I would believe your eyes and at the same time be scrupulous about her health. None of what the vets said is a sure thing, not even a probable thing. Quite a few cats lead normal lives with a heart murmur.
I would be more worried about the other problems, together they will sap her strength. If you can get on top of those, no reason why she shouldn't have a long and happy life.
Did you integrate the two cats right away or gradually? You might have to back up a couple of steps and take it more slowly.

Skryker
June 22nd, 2006, 10:09 PM
That's what I was thinking, doggy lover. The cat looks very happy and loved in your picture-why put her through the stress and trauma of being re-homed? She's likely already had a longer life than she would have, so think of whatever time she has as bonus time for both of you.

My neighbour's cat has a heart murmur and was a semi-feral cat with a rough start...his heart actually stopped during his neuter operation 3 years ago. He is very active, lives in a house with 2 other cats and a dog and is doing fine. He may not live to be an old cat, but he is a very happy cat. I wish you the best of luck with your girl.

PacificBlue
June 22nd, 2006, 10:15 PM
With frequent visits to the Vet and proper antibiotics, the respiratory problems went away although she still has some allergy issues living in my area. A lot of cats are having the same problems just like us humans! I changed to a better quality cat food and the diarrhea is gone and she's gained weight. I don't know what to do about her fur. Just all of a sudden after the vet put Frontline on her, she's lost all her fur around the head/neck and stomach. Otherwise she is happy not being locked up in a dirty bathroom like she had been in. She's always running around playing so I know she feels good. I had supervised the cats together and they slept in separate rooms. I still keep them separated while I'm at work but now they sleep and eat side by side with no problems. Just in the past 2 days they started playing together. :thumbs up

badger
June 22nd, 2006, 11:28 PM
Everything sounds great!
The fur loss may well have something to do with stress, or an allergic reaction exacerbated by stress. Feed her really good food and I bet it comes back.

chico2
June 23rd, 2006, 08:47 AM
That is good news for this beautiful cat:thumbs up
Rehoming her would do nothing for her,except maybe shortening her life:sad:
Like I said in your other post,my Cookie(RIP) lived to be 17yrs old and did not die from her heart-murmur,but cancer.
The hairloss is very possibly a reaction to Frontline,it is after all a strong chemical.
I am happy to hear she gets along with your other kitty,it often takes patience and time for them to adjust to each other.
I'd love to see some more pics,she is incredibly beautiful..and :fingerscr she'll be ok!!

PacificBlue
November 15th, 2006, 09:04 PM
I haven't signed on for awhile but I wanted to thank everyone for responding. After 4 Vets telling me to give up Chelsea, I got a 5th opinion and he felt totally opposite than the others. They say she may not have a long life, but at least she will have a good one! I did not have the heart to give her away to another home. Today she is almost 9lbs after starting out at less than 5lbs, her fur has grown out so thick and she's so beautiful! Chelsea still gets a little out of control sometimes with my other cat but with the help of the Feliway diffuser she's not as mean as she was. I can leave them alone together while I'm gone. She is always by my side and I'm so glad I decided to keep her. :thumbs up

chico2
November 16th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Thank's for the update,Chelsea and Moi-Moi might never love each other,but will with time accept that nobody is leaving:fingerscr
I am happy to hear,she's back to her beautiful self and that you never gave up on her:cat:

badger
November 16th, 2006, 09:48 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a flamepoint ragdoll. Got a picture?
Thanks for coming back with news, there are so many unfinished stories on this board. Happy endings are the best.

Mahealani770
November 16th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I love happy endings. I wanna see a picture of the kitty too! :D

chico2
November 16th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I think it's her in the Avatar,I can see Flame-Point,but Ragdoll???

PacificBlue
November 17th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Here's a picture of MoiMoi and Chelsea. I was told she was a flamepoint ragdoll by the people I got her from. Her points are getting a little darker as time goes on. :cat:

chico2
November 18th, 2006, 08:03 AM
OMG,they are sooo beautiful,whether Chelsea a Rag-Doll or not does not really matter,does it?
They are both stunning:love: :cat: