Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat has diarrhea, somewhat - please help!

kittycat1025
June 22nd, 2006, 06:53 PM
My 3 year-old cat has had loose bowel movements for about a week now. It's not really diarrhea, just loose. She vomitted about 4 times the first day, then seemed fine. She did have one other occurence of a little clear throw-up. :sick:

She is eating and drinking fine. She is playing and her activity level is all normal. She just saw the vet about two months ago and is completely up-to-date on her shots. She NEVER goes outside. She does live with another cat, who is not showing any symptoms at all. She has been affectionate and normal in basically every other way. :angel:

She has complete control over her bowel movements and goes right into the litter box. I watched her and she doesn't seem to be in pain when she goes either.

We are going to visit the vet tomorrow b/c we are leaving for a short trip, but I am afraid to leave her. There will be someone in the house with her most of the time, but she's my baby and I'm concerned. :love: :pawprint:

When I called the vet, I thought it was nothing. But now the secretary says "it's serious and I need to bring her in right away!" But she's not a doctor and I'm sure they say that to everyone.

What do you guys think? What should we do? Does anyone have any experience with this or might know what's wrong? I'm just starting to panic a little and was wondering if anyone could help me. :fingerscr

Thanks in advance! :thumbs up

glasslass
June 22nd, 2006, 07:29 PM
I would make a beeline into the vets! You were going in tomorrow anyway, what's wrong with going in a day earlier. It it is something, get the treatment started a day earlier. Maybe, it'll just be something your petsitter can administer pills for while you're gone. Then again, if it's serious, would you be able to forgive yourself for not acting quickly?

PacificBlue
June 22nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
When my cat had diarrhea real bad, my vet recommended a little bit of canned pumpkin(solid/not pie filling) and a little plain yogurt (with live cultures) Sure helped resolve the problem. I also changed her canned food to Nutro and Nature Balance brands.