Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is This Normal?

ShibaCry
June 22nd, 2006, 11:38 AM
Hi Again! I posted here yesterday regarding my Shiba Inu (Oliver) being neutered.

While his irritation in the area that was shaved for the operation has gotten a lot better, now my worry lies in the fact that he refuses to move. The operation took place on Monday afternoon, it is now Thursday, and he still apparently feels much discomfort when he walks.

The thing is, last night he was outside, and he was actually RUNNING around for a little, he'd take 15 yard spurtz, and then he'd suddenly stop, and start to lick the area. Run some more, and then suddenly stop and lick again. He won't walk though, if he walks, he'll take a few steps and start to lick..or if he walks,he'll do it by kind of dragging his behind. He won't walk completely upright.

When he's inside, forget about..he refuses to move from his crate or the carpet in the living room. The food could be 4 feet away from him, and he won't get it--I'll have to bring it to him, and he'll eat/drink a lot, so he's obviously hungry.

Is this relatively normal? My friend said her dogs had no problem walking after the surgery. How many days should I give it before I call the vet?

Thanks for any advice.

bethaliz
June 22nd, 2006, 11:49 AM
There are a lot of factors that can come into play. A younger dog will most likely heal faster, with less toruble. Where as an older dog may take more time. Personally I would just give the vet a call and tell them whats happening. My vet will give me advice over the phone without having to go in, depending on the issue. The worse that they will do is tell you to come in. I personally wouldn't be too worried. When we had stitches done it took him a couple of days to feel better. Our trouble was that the vet told us to keep him quite for a week. Stitches was really playful and wanting to run.
So I would suggets, just call the vet and see what they say. Keep us posted

ShibaCry
June 22nd, 2006, 11:59 AM
There are a lot of factors that can come into play. A younger dog will most likely heal faster, with less toruble. Where as an older dog may take more time. Personally I would just give the vet a call and tell them whats happening. My vet will give me advice over the phone without having to go in, depending on the issue. The worse that they will do is tell you to come in. I personally wouldn't be too worried. When we had stitches done it took him a couple of days to feel better. Our trouble was that the vet told us to keep him quite for a week. Stitches was really playful and wanting to run.
So I would suggets, just call the vet and see what they say. Keep us posted

Thanks for the reply..

Oliver is 6 1/2 months old...he's usually very energetic. But since he's been home, he doesn't want to move. And when he did run outside, it was b/c I was going after him trying to bring him back inside.:o

I think it may be a combination of him being very peculiar about things...he probably feels something "off" or different down there when he walks..and refuses to walk any further. He can be a bit of a drama queen as well..hence, the "shiba cry".

I'll call the Vet just in case.

jessi76
June 22nd, 2006, 12:01 PM
The thing is, last night he was outside, and he was actually RUNNING around for a little, he'd take 15 yard spurtz, and then he'd suddenly stop, and start to lick the area. Run some more, and then suddenly stop and lick again.

first of all, stop the running! when my pup got snipped, vet's orders were NO RUNNING. take the dog out ON A SHORT LEASH for bathroom breaks, and be sure to not allow running for about a week.

I would call the vet. My dog was FINE the same night as his surgery, and the next day, although I didn't allow running for about a week, he acted as though nothing happened. I actually had to keep him still, by providing things for him to lay & chew on.

It's ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry, so I'm SURE your vet won't mind the phonecall.

ShibaCry
June 23rd, 2006, 10:19 AM
Just an update:

I took Oliver yesterday to the vet for a checkup. The vet said there's nothing physically wrong with him. He prescribed some antibiotics and an ointment for the neutered area.

At least now I'm not as worried that there may be something wrong with him, but the fact still remains that he refuses to move. He'll just sit there in the same spot all day long. I have to still bring the food to him, and carry him outside to go to the bathroom, and practically force him to move once outside.

I want my Oliver back:(

gtexan02
June 23rd, 2006, 11:10 AM
Without really knowing anything about canine surgical procedures, I think your puppy will probably be ok. I've heard stories about male dogs/cats who undergo temporary depression/anxiety after being neutered due to the sudden lack of testosterone. The lack of hormones can also lead to loss of appetite, loss of energy, etc. These symptoms usually subside soon after the operation, so keep a close eye on him and if things don't improve, maybe its time for a second opinion. Based on what you've said, however, and the vets advice, it sounds like he's just scared of the different feeling. A lot of humans react this way after surgery, not wanting to move at all, because of the change in sensation.

ShibaCry
June 23rd, 2006, 11:44 AM
Without really knowing anything about canine surgical procedures, I think your puppy will probably be ok. I've heard stories about male dogs/cats who undergo temporary depression/anxiety after being neutered due to the sudden lack of testosterone. The lack of hormones can also lead to loss of appetite, loss of energy, etc. These symptoms usually subside soon after the operation, so keep a close eye on him and if things don't improve, maybe its time for a second opinion. Based on what you've said, however, and the vets advice, it sounds like he's just scared of the different feeling. A lot of humans react this way after surgery, not wanting to move at all, because of the change in sensation.

thanks for the reply.

I agree with what you say, and believe this is the main problem with Oliver, in that he's probably still a little scared/anxious from the entire procedure, and since he feels something different down there, and not knowing what's different, he's scared to walk. The vet also said that while it's normal for him to have discomfort, he might be blowing it a little out of proportion-in terms of how much it hurts.

Hopefully he'll start to come around.:fingerscr