Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need some advice about cat food

stellabella
June 22nd, 2006, 11:11 AM
So I just adopted a 3 month old kitten and I have a three year old cat already at home. I am having trouble feeding the two cats different food. i want to give kitten food to the kitten and i want to keep the older cat on her regular food but with both of them running around the house together the kitten is eating the adult food not his kitten food. Some people suggest feeding them seperately but my older cat is a "grazer" she eats her food throughout the day not all at once. So I dont really want to keep them seperated all day. If I wait and feed her only once a day she will eaither leave half of it or scarf it down and then throw it back up. So my question is should I go look for a food that is for all ages of cats? or should I just mix the two types of food? Will my kitten be ok just eating adult food? or vice versa for the adult cat?
Some advice please
Thanks

badger
June 22nd, 2006, 11:35 AM
It seems to me at 3 months the kitten could be eating adult food, unless he had a bad start and is very underweight. Why don't you mix them together until you have used up the kitten food, then just feed the adult brand (good quality, if possible). Unless your older cat is a fatty (kitten food has more calories), then mebbe not.

jsungaila
June 22nd, 2006, 11:38 AM
Hello stellabella!
Please know that you're kitten can have it's food mixed with the adult food and both cats will eat happily out of the same bowl. You may find your adult cat may put a little weight on but in general not enough to harm her. Also keep track of how quickly or how slowly your kitten is growing... they may need special attention if they aren't getting all the fat and protein they need. There is not a food on the market that is suitable for all ages, it is best if you make your own 60:40 mixture - kitten to adult.