Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

One-eyed stray cat dilemma

catsnatcher-CDN
June 21st, 2006, 11:31 PM
I'm having a hard trying deciding how to handle this and need some objective opinions.

There is a mean black feral in my neighborhood. He's been hanging around my homeless 5 since i found them. He shows up once a week hissing and spitting at me. I stay away from him because he scares me and for the last 2 years he's only been eaten by default. But recently, I realized that he may not be mean, but hungry. He doesn't hiss or spit if I've fed him the day before but only after he's gone missing for days.

Recently he had an eye infection that became worst, then better and worst again. He stopped showing up and I figured perhaps the infection got the best of him. But he showed up today, hissing and screaming and skinny. His right eye is all white. There's no pupil.

What do I do? I can't afford to treat him. I can't imagine being able to catch this one. I don't know how he would even handle being touched by anyone much less a vet.

It seems that I only have two choice: Either I catch him to euthanize him, which takes more courage than I think I have; or let him be once I move...I'm not yet sure what it takes to be able to do that. Both seem unimagineable. I've been trying to decide his fate when really I wish I didn't have to.

Any objective opinions?

LibbyP
June 22nd, 2006, 12:25 AM
(I) would live trap him, yes (I) know this is something that you don't want to be in charge of but...with him being on the streets just think of the diseases he is spreading, and the pain and unnessary(ws) suffering he is going through, just think of the pain he must be in from his eye alone, it possible started as an ulser that ruptured, how horrible that would be, now with the hot weather brings flys and you now what comes along with flys(maggots). (I) think that if you were to move and leave him you would think about him and feel far more guilt in him being left to defend for himself and the new people that move into your home may not be so caring, pls make the decission that needs to be done, you would be his guardian :angel:

catsnatcher-CDN
June 22nd, 2006, 08:07 AM
My instinct was to euthanize him but the what if I take away all his chances of being rescued? Maybe he has more hope than i give him credit for. Maybe someone else noticed and is considering helping him.

LibbyP
June 22nd, 2006, 09:17 AM
(I) am sorry but (I) know I would feel worse if I left him, you said in your earlier post that you don't think he would handle being touched even, if he is in as ruff a shape as you say the most humane thing for him would be to euthanize him, I know I sound harsh but not every animal that is brought into rescue can be adopted out and they suffer great amounts of stress. I don't imagine he is neutered?

Betty Hurley
June 22nd, 2006, 09:24 AM
Our vet gives us a sedative to put in the cat's food, and we have caught a few wild ones that way. It takes a lot of patience and time to follow and then catch them. They have ended up as wonderful pets after neutering and lots of TLC. Every cat we have has at one time been a stray. Another thought is to put an ad in the local paper for help. There's usually more kind hearted people out there who will offer assistance. I take it that you do not have a homeless shelter where someone could help you.

catsnatcher-CDN
June 22nd, 2006, 10:07 AM
Another thought is to put an ad in the local paper for help. There's usually more kind hearted people out there who will offer assistance. I take it that you do not have a homeless shelter where someone could help you.

I'm 10 blocks away from the SPCA and surrounded with rescues who all have their hands full with strays.

He didn't hiss or spit today 'cuz he ate yesterday. He's not lethargic or sick and doesn't attack the other cats. Just his eye is bad. Is that all the reason I need to have him euthanized?

badger
June 22nd, 2006, 10:46 AM
Oh this is so familiar, I feel for you both. It's the ones who are struggling, even the bad-tempered ones, who grab our attention.
Personally, I haven't met anyone in my neighbourhood who is even remotely interested in helping strays, apart from the occasional bowl of crap food, which is better than nothing but so irregular as to make it almost a punishment.
Catsnatcher, what if you trapped him, had him fixed up, see if the eye can be saved, then release him.
I wonder if Poodletalk could help you out, I know she's involved in a couple of groups that do catch and release.
You could also take up a collection here. I'm sure we could rustle up enough to get him neutered and a couple of rounds of antibiotics.
The bigger problem is where to keep him while all this is going on. Boarding them at the vets can really drive up the cost.
If he's skinny he's probably low down in the pecking order and not getting what he needs, so it's only a matter of time before he gets an infection from a fight or dies crossing the road. So I guess there would be a certain kindness in euthanizing him.
Then there is the possibility that after a few squares and some medical attention, he turns out to be a love bug...

catsnatcher-CDN
June 22nd, 2006, 11:25 AM
Let's say I could catch him and let's say someone else took care of the vet costs, where would he stay to recover and/or be fostered? He can't stay at the vet. It would cost so much and he may not react well caged there. He needs to be with someone who knows how to handle a feral and who has the space. I just can't bring myself to euthanize him because of his eye.

poodletalk
June 22nd, 2006, 11:38 AM
My friend just caught a cat in Boucherville that had an eye infection. She caught it by using a trap and took it to the vet. They ended up euthanising the cat because it had FIV and he was on his last leg.

It's a tough decision catsnatcher, if you can manage to get couple of dollars together....I can look into low cost sterilization for you but maybe he's too sick.

It's hard to say, without having a vet check up.

LibbyP
June 22nd, 2006, 11:43 AM
(I) am sorry but I do not think that every cat needs to be 'saved', is there not a cat overpopulation in your area, there are thousands of healthy,friendly cats in shelters and rescue groups that cannot find homes. (I) do agree with the catch and release program if the animal is released back into the colany from which it came, are cats not territorial? Who is going to give him his antibiotics, and foster? When are you moving?(I) am sorry again if I seem harsh but (I) think monies could be spent better elsewhere

catsnatcher-CDN
June 22nd, 2006, 11:44 AM
I don't know what to do. I know the cat would have to be treated daily for his eye infection. If the vet says he can be saved but needs to be kept indoors to be treated, I don't have a place to put him or someone to treat him to save his life.

poodletalk
June 22nd, 2006, 11:54 AM
If he needs antibotics, who's going to give it to him if he doesn't let people go near him?

Probably it would be best to catch him and bring him to a vet to euthanise him. If I get you a trap and a place to euthanise him, (no costs) would you do it?

I won't be on pets.ca for awhile, you can just send me an email.

catsnatcher-CDN
June 22nd, 2006, 12:01 PM
Thanks poodletalk,

I have a pet carrier to trap him and I'll e-mail you (work?) once it's clear that there is no other option.

Now I just have to come to terms with what I'm about to decide.

:sad:

cpietra16
June 22nd, 2006, 02:29 PM
I feel for you catsnatcher...It's so hard to decide when to take a life/or give a life...it would be cruel to let a defenseless and week cat die a slow and horrible death. If he is that sick maybe he would be best to just cross over...

badger
June 22nd, 2006, 02:47 PM
I wonder if Poodletalk could get you a free vet exam, then at least you'd know what you're dealing with.

catsnatcher-CDN
June 22nd, 2006, 02:49 PM
That's exactly why I'm having a hard time making this decision, cpietra.
He's not sick or weak. He comes when I call the homeless 5, he eats, he sits near them. It's just his eye that he seems to be losing.

cpietra16
June 22nd, 2006, 03:41 PM
catsnatcher...I pm'd you

LM1313
June 22nd, 2006, 03:48 PM
Wow, that's a hard decision. :( *hugs*

I don't think I could bring myself to euthanize him because . . . even though he has a crappy life and a blind eye . . . he sounds like he's healthy otherwise. Yeah, it's a stressful, sad life, but it's his and he'd probably rather have it than not at the moment.

I'm so sorry this has fallen into your lap, catsnatcher. You've done so much for your homeless five and I know you can't take care of / fix / rehome every stray cat. It's just such a sad situation.

BTW, how long does it take an adult cat to recover from neutering? Maybe if he wasn't competing for female cats, he'd at least be able to focus on catching / finding food instead of mating . . . :(

catsnatcher-CDN
June 22nd, 2006, 05:14 PM
That's my problem LL... That's why I can't bring myself to decide.

Although he's not fixed, he's not making babies.... I rehomed over 50 kittens and half a dozen semi adult ferals over the last two years and I fixed the remaining 4 female/1 male strays in a 2 block radius.

There's only 3 unneutered males left and I have no more money, no more time and no foster room to finish the job. He's one of them.

~~knock on wood I haven't seen a kitten or pregnant cat in 18 months.~ OMG! I know now that I said it... :fingerscr

chico2
June 22nd, 2006, 05:36 PM
C-S,what a terrible situation:sad: is this the orange cat,or the cat that scratched you?Not that it makes any difference...I just reread your post,he's black,right?
My only encounter with a feral was my George,he at times had terrible wounds and I know he was making babies..
Our HS has a catch/release program,but George was too smart to go near the cage.
After 3 years of twice a day feeding,one day he just did not show up:sad:
If I were you and if you can get some financial help,I would trap him and let the vet decide what needs to be done for this poor cat.
Before we know it,it will be winter again and you will not be around to feed him,then what??
I don't envy you your position,it must be really hard,these poor little guys are just trying to survive:sad: :sad:

Shamrock
June 22nd, 2006, 05:52 PM
CS. No advice to offer...just wanted to say I'm sorry that you are faced with this difficult dilemma. My heart goes out to you.
I can sure understand why you feel so torn on what is the best resolution for this poor kitty.