Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat Defecates outside her litter box

msrrae
June 21st, 2006, 10:25 PM
:confused: My female cat has started defecating out side her box. She urinates in there fine and occasionally does defecate in the box but most of the time she does not. She is about 15 years old a little over weight. (I have her on a diet which when she has gained in the past worked fine).
I keep the box very clean as I thought it might be the problem but even if it is fresh litter she still does it. I has been in different places but now it is right in front of the toilet. I think she is trying to give me a message but I sure don't get it.
I want to tell you something funny about where she goes. On the top side of my bathtub I have a shelf that's just over 5 inches wide and about a foot long. She will squat on the ledge with her four feet almost totally together and she will defecate right on the ledge. When she jumps off, there it is on the ledge. Yes she is a spry old girl. I was shocked to actually see her do it. I had to laugh.
I have tried everything I could think of including taking her by the scruff of the neck and shaking her with her nose right by it telling her bad kitty. I then put her in the box and pet her telling her what a good kitty she is It works for a couple of times but she goes right back to the floor.
I am at my wits end can you help me?

mafiaprincess
June 21st, 2006, 10:44 PM
When was the last time the cat saw a vet? When behaviours change you should really get a medical check up to rule out a new problem before trying anything else to fix it.

catsnatcher-CDN
June 21st, 2006, 10:58 PM
i agree with mafia princess...take her to the vet.

Putting her nose in her s***t won't teach her anything. In fact, it may even aggravate the problem.