Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do you Sunbathe?

Shamrock
June 21st, 2006, 06:11 PM
This first day of summer seems an appropriate time to ask this.

The sun feels wonderful, and for most of us... these warm clear days are limited to a few short months.. even more appreciated.
Working outdoors or enjoying summer activities, we're all exposed to sun, hats and sunscreen used to protect - particularly children.

But the beaches and lakes are packed from now till Sept with sun worshippers who spend hours each day just soaking it up to the max.
But at what cost? Is wearing sunscreen enough? And what of those who dont wear it?
Do you embrace the sun, or avoid too much when you can?

I certainly used to pursue it. The local beaches were a thoroughly relaxing past-time ,.. baking myself to a golden brown. (no sunscreen back then):eek:

When I am on vacation in a sunny spot I sit at the pool, lie on the beach, and soak up the sun. It's a vacation after all.
Any other time, I love being outdoors, but if in the sun extended periods, I cover up.
Guess thats why I'm still pasty white by mid-August.:D

Frenchy
June 21st, 2006, 08:07 PM
I don't like to lay under the sun,feel like I'm wasting precious time,it's not too good for the skin and it gets too hot!If outside;I'm working in the yard,or swimming or if I have absolutly nothing to do,I'll read a book sitting at my patio set,under the umbrella.

Rick C
June 21st, 2006, 08:18 PM
I'm currently a bit sunburned right now . . . . but not from laying about on my back . . . . . it's from riding the garden tractor, running, biking and hiking, etc, etc.

I just do the things I would normally be doing and tan up that way. I gave up laying out in the sun lots of years ago . . . . it didn't seem to agree with me as I aged.

I'm also a swimming fool when I'm around water and we're thinking of Hawaii in the late fall so I'll probably get pretty rosy from that if it happens . . but from swimming and running and snorkelling rather than laying by the pool.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

LibbyP
June 21st, 2006, 08:27 PM
I do use block on my nose(burns peels,burns again and so on), and if I remember I put it on, I don't just sit in the sun (boring) now my chicklets of course have the uv bathing suits with the long arms and down to their knees kinda deal, at the beach I always know where they are (:crazy: bright colours) and they always have sun block on, now my daughter(4yrs) has darker skin like her father, he tans in acouple hours, my son(2.5yrs) is white as a ghost almost blinding hee hee hee:eek: . Now my neighbours grandkids -the 'darker the better makes them look healthy' not in my eyes, they always tease about how white my kids are:mad: This will be my first summer not working on the farm so you guessed it no farmers tan, what am I going to do now:confused: ?

jesse's mommy
June 21st, 2006, 08:41 PM
NO WAY!!!! I have pale skin and fry when I'm in the sun. I messed up once in my life and got sun poisoning and refuse to do it again. It hurt way too much! I would prefer to have good skin in twenty years!

joeysmama
June 22nd, 2006, 07:31 AM
I was blessed with great genes when it comes to the sun. I tan easily and people tell me that I don't look my age. The sun hasn't wrinkled my skin. (I'm seeing gravity take it's toll but that's not from the sun)

I love summer, I love the heat and the hotter and sunnier the better. :crazy:

lewisw
June 22nd, 2006, 07:53 AM
I'm very fair BUT now don't laugh I don't sun worship I'll get the sun if I swim in my pool but the funny thing is I drive a little Miata convertable and althrough the summer my top half of my body gets this great tan BUT my legs are white as a ghost !!!

Thank god I have my own pool or people :evil: would crack up at my contrast .

Bearsmom
June 22nd, 2006, 08:07 AM
I slather SPF 30 on our 3 yr old boy, but neither my husband or I use sunscreen, we're both dark tanning skin types anyways.

Lying out in the sun used to work for me, but now I find I bore easily, get too hot, and think of a million other things I could be doing. We golf and are avid softball players, so we're out in the sun constantly.

Although I imagine I'm gonna look like a raisin by the time I'm 50.

jessi76
June 22nd, 2006, 10:04 AM
with red hair, fair skin, and tons of freckles, it's pointless for me to lay in the sun. although once all my freckles connect... I'll have the BEST tan. but since that probably won't happen, I get my "tan" from a bottle so I have a nice summer "glow" and stay out of the sun as much as possible.

Prin
June 22nd, 2006, 10:24 AM
NO WAY!!!! I have pale skin and fry when I'm in the sun. I messed up once in my life and got sun poisoning and refuse to do it again. It hurt way too much! I would prefer to have good skin in twenty years!
What the hey is that? "Sun poisoning"? I've probably had it- I get sunstroke if I'm in direct sunlight for more than 20 minutes. I get a headache (practically a migraine) and super nausea. I burn in under 4 minutes (literally). So no sun for me. With the Evra patch (birth control), your skin gets even more susceptible to sun damage, so it's even worse now. I burn in the car with the windows up (that's supposed to cut down on UV, but not enough).

So no, I don't tan. I shrink away from the sun like a vampire afraid to get burnt to a crisp.:D (Pretty funny for a first day of summer baby, eh? lol)

technodoll
June 22nd, 2006, 10:29 AM
I don't like to lay under the sun,feel like I'm wasting precious time,it's not too good for the skin and it gets too hot!

same here! i used to love tanning salons for quick winter dips though (otherwise i glow in the dark) but with all the new studies done on skin cancer and where you can get it from... i haven't gone there in 3 years. so my arms, face & shoulders get a pale tan from wearing summer clothes but the rest of me stays like a nice marshmallow :o Not my choice but there is history of skin cancer in my family, so.... sigh.

Mahealani770
June 22nd, 2006, 11:08 AM
Jessi76, I had no idea that you and I were twins! lol
Although I'm part Hawaiian, I was not blessed with my father's beautiful bronze skin. I don't know what the hell happened, as I have very fair skin, freckles, green eyes, and strawberry blonde hair. When the sun hits my face directly, my freckles pop out and start connecting, but not enough to form a "tan". That really frustrates me..lol
So, after trying numerous "tan in a bottle" remedies and ending up orange, I have given up. I thought that the Mystic Tan solution, where you go to a tanning salon and a machine sprays you in a little booth, was going to be the answer, and I tried it yesterday for the first time. Well, 18 hours and $30 later I'm orange..of course...and hiding under long sleeves and pants at work! What's worse is that my partner's and my commitment ceremony is tomorrow evening (which is why I tried to get tan) and it's a mass ceremony which kicks off gay pride weekend. So everybody and their families will be staring at my oddly orange patchy arms at the commitment ceremony and all weekend at pride. I'm so humiliated!lol
Anyway, I guess I'll try the "tanning for only 6 mins at a time until I can try to build a base tan" solution, AGAIN. Wish me luck getting this paint off of my skin!lol:fingerscr

LibbyP
June 22nd, 2006, 12:15 PM
OOOH my goodness when ever I hear about that spray tan stuff I chuckle alittle thinking about the 'Friends' show - Ross I think just couldn't figure it out and turned a aweful colour orange and then he bleacked his teeth super white - killed me:p If I try and get a base tan in the booth I too start at 6min, do that acouple times to make sure I don't burn and then go up to 8min etc... Good luck

Schwinn
June 22nd, 2006, 12:49 PM
I don't lie out in the sun, but I don't usually put on sunscreen, either. I turn a nice brown by June from mountain biking. Except I look like the wall of a tool shed, where the outline of the tools tells you where to put everything? Brown arms up to where my bike shirt goes, and brown legs just down to my ankles, where my bike socks meet. The rest is "fish belly white". I just realized how silly I look...

Mrs. Schwinn is a sun-screen nazi. She always uses the highest SPF possible. I think it doubles as house-paint. I'm starting to be more careful now that her father has cancer which started out as melanoma.

Personally I think all the tanners look fake, and I always feel slightly creeped out at how the people look in thier 50's after years of "sun worshipping". I had one client who's skin had the consistency of a 30 year old leather ball glove. NOOOO thank you! Not only that, the tanning machine at the gym kind of creeps me out. This big tube you stand in until it "dings" like a mircowave. "You're done!" Wierd...

LibbyP
June 22nd, 2006, 12:54 PM
:eek: That is one of the nastiest pics I have ever seenEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW:yuck:

jessi76
June 22nd, 2006, 12:55 PM
Mahealani, please SAVE your skin and don't use the booth. The tanning booths also transmit harmul rays. For a bottle tan, I've been using the new Dove Energy Glow. it's subtle, gradually builds up, and best of all... natural looking. Not orange. just be sure to use the right one - I use the one for FAIR/LIGHT skin tones. I've been using it for a few months now, and get compliments on my "tan" OFTEN.

to get the orange off... have you tried lemon? rub lemon wedges on the orange spots. otherwise, try peroxide. it takes it off your palms when you forget to wash them after applying a tanning lotion. maybe apply a tan lotion and try to even it out? just tossing some suggestions to help you look your best for the ceremony.

there are about a billion fake tan products now, from lotions, to foams, to sprays, and even tan pills.

btw, good luck and congratulations!!!!

Mahealani770
June 22nd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks so much for your helpful hints and thank you (regarding my ceremony)Jessi, I think I'm going to have to go buy a bottle of the Dove stuff that you suggested, just to even out these splotches! I feel like people can see that I'm orange..lol
And thanks for the well-wishing, Libby P!
Prin - Sun poisoning is serious business. When I was 11 and 12 I had sunpoisoning TWICE. It started out as a sun burn, then sun blisters filled with liquid developed on my shoulders, followed by nausea. I also slept for 16 hours straight. I have never been so miserable! I try to stay out of the sun but I'm so sick of being a member of the pale people posse. I'm desperate! lol I am the tan-in-a-bottle QUEEN, have tried them all, but I cannot find one that won't turn me orange. I guess it's because I'm so very fair. I'm going to try the Dove Energy Glow, I don't think I've tried that one yet. I'm just so paranoid that people can tell..lol
P.S. - Hey Jessi, did you ever see Nicky at day care?

phoenix
June 22nd, 2006, 03:15 PM
hey- i've had sun poisoning and didn't know it! I get nauseous in the sun all of the time.

Congratulations and have a great weekend M

Mahealani770
June 22nd, 2006, 03:24 PM
Thank you Phoenix! Have a great weekend as well!

we3beagles
June 22nd, 2006, 03:26 PM
For some reason I do not tolerate being in the sun very well. I get sick fast. I got sunstroke a couple of times as a kid and I think that is why. I too go to tanning salons, but only if the weather has been grey for a long time or I am trying to build up a base tan. I am affected by SAD and find them to be helpful.

meb999
June 22nd, 2006, 03:26 PM
Jessi, I think I'm going to have to go buy a bottle of the Dove stuff that you suggested, just to even out these splotches! I feel like people can see that I'm orange..lol

I use Jergens Natural Glow...it's the same concept -- it's a moisterizer than has a hint of self tanner in it. It gives you a light tanned glow over a few days -- no streaks and no orange, but more importantly NO CANCER!!
I'm like Schwinn's wife, I'm a sunscreen nazi! I use 45 spf every time I go outside for more than 20 minutes.
The sun (or tanning booth) cook your skin, that's why eventually the skin starts drooping off the bone (think of a turkey -- when it's raw, it's hard to rip off the skin, but once it's cooked, the skin peeeeels right off!!), resulting in droopy, saggy skin. EWWWW.

doggy lover
June 22nd, 2006, 04:54 PM
I don't like the sun anymore, I have had family with skin cancer and as I'm fair I burn really bad. I have used fake tan in a bottle it works ok, but I do get a little sun when I work outside, mostly I head for the shade.

Prin
June 22nd, 2006, 04:57 PM
I hate the powdery feel of sunscreen though... I mean I use it anyway, but it just feels like chalk no matter how "light" the company claims it to be. I've tried sooo many kinds and I feel the same thing in all of them.:rolleyes: C'est la vie!

chico2
June 22nd, 2006, 05:06 PM
I get tanned just looking at the sun and I love the sun.
Most Swedes,like myself are blond but not fairskinned and tolerate the sun very well.
I do not lay out in the sun,but gardening,swimming etc,gives me a nice even tan.
Sure,when we go south in the winter,I lay there like a dead fish or sit and read..
After years of enjoying the sun,I do have wrinkles...but heck,I loved it and still do:p

jesse's mommy
June 22nd, 2006, 05:18 PM
What the hey is that? "Sun poisoning"?

Actually it's a little worse than a sun stroke. You have all the signs of a sunstroke, but you are also so burnt on your body that you actually blister. And it's not little blisters like if you had a new pair of shoes, it's big ugly blisters that are filled with goo and slime. It's very painful and very dangerous. Whenever I'm in in the sun I put SPF 30 on every 1/2 hour to an hour and I always wear a hat. It's gross how much I put on, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I will NEVER let myself get sun poisoning again.

Shamrock
June 22nd, 2006, 05:35 PM
Oh, how awful that sounds, Jesse's mommy!:sick: I'd sure be taking every precaution there was too...

I dont burn very easily, but dont have the same tolerance for the sun as I once did. When you are busy outside doing something, you dont seem to feel it as much as when you are just sitting, having it glare down on you. 10 min. or so is good for me.. then give me that sun umbrella..:)

jesse's mommy
June 22nd, 2006, 05:37 PM
Oh, how awful that sounds, Jesse's mommy!:sick: I'd sure be taking every precaution there was too...

Thanks. I won't even go into the gory details of when you start peeling. Yuck!:yuck:

meb999
June 22nd, 2006, 09:14 PM
Sure,when we go south in the winter,I lay there like a dead fish or sit and read..
Sure, when I go to the beach, there's nothing more relaxing than lying in the sun listening to the ocean...or reading a good book with the waves hitting your feet....I just do it with lotsa sunscreen on!!

Skryker
June 22nd, 2006, 10:21 PM
I'm "Celtic pale" (or fish belly white) and just burn, not tan. And then I peel back to white, and burn again. When I was a kid and lived outside, i tanned OK, but got sunstroke in Florida at 11. Since then, it's burn, baby, burn! Even through window glass. So sunscreen all the way.

My grandmother and grandfather both had melanomas, so I don't like to risk it. And my Mom, who is very fair-skinned, always wore hats and stayed in the shade. She's 63 and recently had a dermatologist praise her skin condition-said her skin looks about 20 years younger than her age. Guess following her example isn't so bad!

technodoll
June 22nd, 2006, 10:30 PM
isn't it funny how, a few centuries ago, the paler you were = the higher class in society you belonged to? only the peasants, who had to work the fields for a living, had tans... pale skin was revered. how times have changed! :eek:

Maxine
June 22nd, 2006, 10:49 PM
Pale is the new tan. This is what I say to myself to cheer myself up when I look at my pale skin...

Personnaly, I avoid the sun (I don't even like to be hot, I feel sick too!) and wear sunscreen 60 on my face and 45 (or something like that) on my body. I read too much stuff about cancer at 20-ish... You think Brazilians look hot??? Maybe when they are young, but when they get older, because of the sun, their skin isn't healthy at all... :sick: It's true that a tan "looks healthy and beautiful" but IMO, it is superficial. BTW, I don't want to be rude, I perfectly understand you guys, it do look nice!! :)

Maxine:troll:

BoxerRescueMTL
June 22nd, 2006, 11:04 PM
I'm so white I'm see thru! My sister's nickname for me is "Powder", lol. I wear lotsa sunscreen and stay far, far out of the sun! Redhead + sun = no fun at all. My SO is half Guyanese so he is nice and brown all year round so I am extra pale beside him. Lucky for me he has a thing for pale girls, heehee :p

SnowDancer
June 23rd, 2006, 11:39 AM
Not me. Pale as a ghost with auburn hair - who burns in a nanosecond - and also gets sun poisoning. Problem is I hate the cold. Love the heat, say 30C with no sun. I do wear my sun block, but unfortunately due to rosacea and a bazillion other product allergies it is tough going. Most I can tolerate on my face is a SPF 30 and even then I have trouble finding one to work. Body skin is not as sensitive so can use Ombrelle or something - for the inch of skin that is actually exposed. Good thing I am always cold - nothing like wearing long skirts/dresses and a jacket when it is 30C.

CyberKitten
June 23rd, 2006, 11:58 AM
Gawd, no!! Absolutely never!! We used to think as a society that "sunbathing" was healthy - it is not!! And now we are discovering that even not all sun block (in fact most of them) are not as advertised. I take the advice of dermatologists and use Ombrelle - one of the few products on the market that has the ingredients necessary and covers both UVA and UBV rays.

I like to swim but I do it at home when the sun is low. (tho even then I use sun block). I also have light Irish skin so that does not help.

If you have to work in the sun or want to sit outsdide, use lots of sunblock and wear a wide brimmed hat. I have seen way too many melanomas - including my own! - to ever sit in the sun again!!!! And it crosses all lines (young, old, and not unsurprisingly, is the leading cause of cancer in Hawaii.)

And on the cancer front, a new study has discovered that St. John's Wart interferes with the cancer drug Gleevec - one of the very few "miracle" meds we have managed to discover in the last 10 yrs. (Most drugs put out by big pharma are me too drugs or copies of others, changing a molecule here and there.)

So -------- be CAREFUL about sunbathing!!!

stinkytaz
June 26th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Living in The UK' we dont tend to see to much blazing hot sunshine during our summer - in fact this year it was snowing spring!! however when I go on holiday I am usually extra careful as my skin is not used to this ammount of Sunn!!!:eek: :eek: So far we have had two hot weekends and by hot I meen 23 degrees celcius, the hottest weather I have ever ecperienced was to the South of the country and was 30 degrees celcius!!! In some ways i envy you guys in Canada for your weather but I guess you can all get too hot over there in summer!!!!

LM1313
June 28th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Oh my gosh, I had sun poisoning once and didn't realize it! It was when I was in San Diego for vacation. I forgot the sunscreen and didn't use any all week. The blisters were gross, but also oddly fascinating. They would burst and there would be clear, runny slime everywhere. Once the blisters were gone, my skin became extremely dry and started peeling. It was bizarre, I could peel off square inches of dry skin.