Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my kitty wants to constantly eat

soccerbabi67
June 21st, 2006, 05:58 PM
My cat, Mr. Jingles, wants to constantly eat. We try not to feed him too much because he is kind of heavy, like 20lbs, hes kind of tall tho. We try to feed him 2xs a day but he crys constantly wanting to be fed more. Is there any kind of food that will fill him up and keep him full......

Shamrock
June 21st, 2006, 06:21 PM
Hi, a few questions come to mind that would help in advising you.
How old is Mr Jingles? What kind of food is he eating? Is this a recent behaviour, this crying?
Cats often like to graze.. but as you are concerned about his weight. I'd reccomend taking him to the vet for a checkup,. if you've not done so recently.. to rule out any health issues that might be causing this issue.
A diet change may be the answer..

soccerbabi67
June 21st, 2006, 06:44 PM
he went to the vet around march hes perfectly healthy and he wont graze he sits and eats it all at once unless the bowl is really full but he wont eat "old food" and he has always cryed...we try and feed him weight control or purina.

Shamrock
June 21st, 2006, 07:34 PM
Well, my first suggestion would be to take your kitty off Purina and on to a better food. (gradually switching over) Purina is not a good quality diet.

If you look in the dog and cat food forums here, a number of excellent cat foods are covered, and these will not only help him overall in health.. may well eliminate the crying.

Did you vet express concern about your cat's weight? It seems a lot.. but dependent on the type of cat.. it may not be overly excessive.
I dont know the age of your cat..but am guessing he is a mature adult.

Most cats will not eat old food put down, its best to limit the amount... and refill when empty.
Also, if he is on dry only.. I'd advise canned food as part of his diet.

I've not had any personal experience dealing with weight issues and cats.. but feel that this would be a good starting point.

Good luck to you with this.. hope a solution can be found.

soccerbabi67
June 21st, 2006, 11:11 PM
thanks...he is not really over weight hes just a big cat, tabby i think, he actually resorts to eating the dog food as he trys to cover it. and as soon as he hears us pour food in his bowl, even when sleeping in the attic, he comes down to eat it. one more thing how do i get him to chew his food? he eats it whole and winds up throwing it up...