Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Songs about Dogs

Guardian
June 21st, 2006, 05:49 PM
I am organizing a major fundraiser called, "Going to the Dogs" Dinner and Race Night. The funds will be divided equally between four not for profit and charity organizations (two rescues, an organization that trains assistance dogs, and one that promotes responsible dog ownership and bite prevention through education).

We have a super singer/guitar player who will be singing some theme songs like Walking the Dog and Run for the Roses.

Does anyone have any suggestions for songs about dogs? I surely would appreciate some help.

Thanks.

Puppyluv
June 21st, 2006, 06:11 PM
Who let the dogs out.. woof, woof, woof, woof
I don't actially like that song, but it would be appropriate.

glasslass
June 21st, 2006, 08:52 PM
You Ain't Nuthin But a Hound Dog!

Swanky_Kitten
June 21st, 2006, 08:52 PM
I know there is a thread that has lots of songs, i'll try to find it. I belive they were records

OntarioGreys
June 21st, 2006, 09:25 PM
this Music cd from Amazon has 14 different songs with audio samples of each

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000001M2C/104-7115220-2463923?v=glance&n=5174

Another list of dog songs which is very lengthy and includes my favourite Shannon by Henry Gross

http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/21211

Swanky_Kitten
June 21st, 2006, 09:40 PM
http://www.musicaltails.com/CDs.html
It's got lots of songs about dogs..

CyberKitten
June 22nd, 2006, 06:09 AM
Until I looked at the Amazon site, I was thinking of Doris Day and How Much is that Doggie in the Window but then it's about a pet store, sighhhh! Wrong era I guess. I also like Me and My Dog Named Boo - had forgotten that one, (as a young child on a family vacation, I listened to it from Chicago to LA, lol).

However, the Canadian singer Connie Kaldor (from Manitoba I think) has a cute cong called "I Love That Dog".

Here are the lyrics:

I Love That Dog
Connie Kaldor

I love that dog,
The way he runs up to me when I call
The way he chases his favorite red rubber ball

I love that dog,
The way he chases his tail all over the place

The way he stands up on his hind legs and licks my face,
I love that dog,

So even if he is a little bad sometime
Sometimes he barks too loud at night
Maybe he chases cats over the fence
But heís not the kind that growls,
And heís not the kind that bites

I love that dog,
The way he puts his wet nose in my hand
And when I tell him my problems he always understands

I love that dog,
The way he catches a Frisbee as he leaps,
The way his eyes and paws flutter as he sleeps
I love that dog,

Chorus

And on those days when it seems
Like I havenít a friend,
Heís so glad to see me
That he wags his whole back end

I love that dog,
The way he smile when I pat his head
The way he curls up and snores some nights by my bed

I love that dog.

Cat Stevens also has one called I Love My Dog. And Jane Siberry - the lyrics are here: http://www.smoe.org/nbh/lyrics/bbtb/dog.html. Then there is Blue by Peter Paul and Mary - on their Campfire CD (a childrens' spng but cute!). I also recall Shannon and there is that Hank Williams song about being in the dog house. There is the one by the Monkees (remember them, lol?) - Gonna Buy Me a Dog.

One of the Residents at the hospital here just reminded me Neil Young has a song about a dog named King but I have never heard it. Here are the lyrics: http://www.lyricstime.com/neil-young-old-king-lyrics.html.

There is a really sad folk song called Old Dog Blue- would make a better poem for Rainbow Ridge, sigh.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh and my all time fav - besides Me and My Dog Named Boo and How Much is Snoopy vs the Red Baron (Having had a much beloved beagle!!).

Finally, I have a song called Walking my Cat Named Dog - do not recall who sings it, a woman but you could prob google it. The same aforementioned Resident just told me "Boo" in the song is about marijuana - does he have to spoil everthing???? I'll remain an innocent and take the lyrics on face value!

Last but not least there is The Puppy Song - sung by sev artists (Mary Hopkins comes to mind but it was on the soundtrack of You've Got mail sung by a guy... recall what was the dog's name.. Brinkley???" And Bob Dylan has If Dogs Run Free.

That's all I can think of- am not a morning person despite my work, lol

Now we need lyrics about cats (tho all that comes to mind is We are siamese if you please - wonder why, lol

twodogsandacat
June 22nd, 2006, 08:26 AM
The end of the video for this one will make you cry. "Feed Jake" by Pirates Of The Mississippi.

The Chorus is:
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I die before I wake, feed Jake, he's been a good dog,
My best friend right through it all, if I die before I wake,
Feed Jake

Guardian
June 22nd, 2006, 10:01 AM
;) Thanks everyone. These will get me started.

Prin
June 22nd, 2006, 10:26 AM
There's Hard Day's Night by the Beatles, if it hasn't been mentioned already... Not really about dogs, but they say dog..:o

papillonmama
June 22nd, 2006, 10:48 AM
i know that this is actually a children's song, but for some reason I always think of dogs when I hear it, "You are my Sunshine".
It's even possible that my aunt had a dog named sunshine when I was very young, so that might be where the association comes from. But really it makes sense, please don't take my sinshine away.:o

CyberKitten
June 22nd, 2006, 08:35 PM
Offtopic but I still love that song too - You are my Sunshine. My grandmother used to sing it to us as children (toddlers). I like the version in O Brother Where Art Thow, among many. :) But admittedly, never connected it to a dog. (except when your dog brings you sinshine!!)

Has anyone mentioned Old Shep - a real tear jerker, sigh!!