Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Totally Out of hand (Desperate mom)

samantha's mom
June 21st, 2006, 03:35 PM
HI THERE,

I HAVE A HUGE HEAD ACHE…SAMANTHA (A 3 MONTH OLD BASET) IS GIVING ME A VERY HARD TIME LATELY…HER EATING ISSUE IS GETTING WORSE EVERY DAY….I CAN’T LET HER STARVE B/C SHE ALSO NEED TO TAKE THE MEDICATION FOR THE UTI SO I NEED TO FORCE HER TO EAT AT LEAST TWICE A DAY….THERE IS NOTHING OUT THERE THAT I HAVEN’T TRY, RIGHT NOW I AM LITERALLY PUTTING THE FOOD INSIDE HER MOUTH JUST LET HER GET SOMETHING IN HER STOMACH SO SHE WON’T VOMIT THE MEDICATION…

SHE STILL HAVE A WEEK AND A HALF AHEAD WITH THE ANTIBIOTIC (LOOKS LIKE A LONG TIME) I’VE TALK TO THE VET TODAY AND SHE IS AS PUZZLE AS I AM…SHE SAID THAT SHE HAS NEVER SEEN A HOUND PUPPY WITH SUCH A SEVERE ANOREXIA BESIDE SHE TOLD ME THAT 17.4 POUNDS IS NOT WHAT SHE SUPPOUSE TO BE…SHE IS ACTUALLY THIN, EVEN THOUGH SHE DOESN’T LOOK IN BAD SHAPE SHE INDEED SUPPOUSE TO BE AT LEAST 22 POUNDS….THE VET SAID SHE IS NOT GETTING THE NUTRITION SHE NEEDS TO GAIN WEIGHT AS SHE SUPPOSE TO (I KNEW THAT…LOL).

I WILL STOP BY THE VET TOMORROW TO GET SOME PRESCRIPTION CANNED FOOD THE DR. TOLD ME ABOUT, IT IS A CANNED FOOD THEY USE FOR DOGS THAT ARE RECOVERING FROM A ILLNESS OR SURGERY AND IS VERY HIGH IN CALORIES AND PROTEINS….SHE SAID THIS WILL BE THE LAST CARD WE ARE GOING TO PLAY…IF SHE DOESN’T EAT THAT ONE THEN SHE WILL DO AN EXTENSIVE BLOOD WORK TO SEE IF SHE HAS ANY HIDDEN CONGENITAL PROBLEM AND SHE EVEN MENTION TUBE FEEDING..

I AM VERY CONCERN ABOUT MY BABY, I KNOW SHE IS NOT JUST PICKY, I AM STARTING TO THINK THERE IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM AROUND ALL THIS….THIS DOG IS NEVER HUNGRY AT ALL, SHE EVEN REFUSE TO EAT THE TREATS, I KNOW SHE HAVEN’T PASS-OUT B/C I FORCE HER TO EAT TWICE A DAY, IF IT WASN’T FOR THIS I AM SURE SHE WILL BE VERY SICK…I JUST CAN’T STARVE HER TO PROVE WHAT I SAID B/C SHE NEEDS TO TAKE THE ANTIBIOTIC WITH FOOD. I OFFER HER FOOD THREE TIMES A DAY AND ONLY FORCE HER TO EAT EVERY 12 HOURS FOR THE MED….SHE CAN GO 12 HOURS WITHOUT FOOD AND WHEN SHE SEE IT SHE IS NOT AT ALL INTERESTED IN EATING IT (THIS IS NOT NORMAL)

I AM GETTING DESPERATE HERE..

Samantha's mom
PS: sorry i wrote in capitals i forgot to release the caps lock :sorry:

Prin
June 21st, 2006, 03:44 PM
Did you try the Merrick canned food? Sometimes if dogs won't eat anything they'll still eat that...

samantha's mom
June 21st, 2006, 04:06 PM
thanks for the reply..

I haven't try that canned food yet, i wrote the post after speking with the vet and i got very upset...i feel so frustrated...
I am going to try the food you recomend and the one that the vet said (a/d canine-feline...hills prescription diet)

I just hope she is not ill

samantha's mom

Prin
June 21st, 2006, 04:08 PM
Me too. :fingerscr And if you feel your vet isn't showing enough concern, try to get a second opinion. Good luck.

samantha's mom
June 21st, 2006, 04:23 PM
well the vet is concern she just don't know what is going on with sammy, i think the blood work is a most...

thanks