Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

inappropriate urination

chowpaws
January 11th, 2004, 01:07 AM
I have a 3 yr old male cockapoo (not neutered due to heart murmur) that has been peeing in the house for the last year. I am not sure if it is submissive urination, terriorty marking, seperation anxiety or what. He is house trained and gives clear signals to go outside. He has a large safe fenced in yard to go in. Correcting his behavior did no good and only seemed to make it worse. We are now just cleaning up after him and following the suggestions for submissive urination. Nothing seems to be working. I am cleaning his "accidents" with recommended cleaning solutions to eleminate odors.
He has even peed on our bed. and has pooped on our bedroom carpet. We have not had any major changes that would have upset his life style. I am at a loss as what his problem is and how to solve it. Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated. He is now blocked from going into the bedrooms and he pees mainly on the kitchen floor, bathroom floor against the toilet and on the boot tray against my boots!
Thank You

Carina
January 15th, 2004, 05:29 AM
Well, the first thing to do is have urine & fecal samples tested to rule out any health problems...until you know for sure whether it's behavioural or health related, you can't really know how to deal with it.

Submissive urination, terriorty marking & seperation anxiety are all very different issues. Submissive/excitement peeing is something he'll only do in your presence. If it's anxiety, he'll be generally anxious and acting out when you leave. If it's territorial, it will tend to be the same places over & over again; also pooping can sometimes be territorial in nature. He'll do these whether you're there or not. So you have to make this call, again in order to figure out how to deal with it! If you post back with more details we can help you figure it out.

If he cannot be neutered & you think it's marking, your vet can put him on hormones to lessen "male" behaviour. Though quite honestly marking is easily fixed through training.

But - first you have to know WHY he's doing this..... ;)

chowpaws
January 21st, 2004, 06:18 PM
Thanks for your reply. He has been checked by the Vet and their doesn't seem to be any problems that is causing him to pee and poop. From the sounds of it, I think it is terriroy marking, but I am not sure why. He does usually pee in the same places and he has pooped in the same places as well. I don't know why he would be marking his territory. Should I keep him blocked from going to those areas or give him access (supervised of course) to those areas. He has even started to pee on my boots by the front door.
I am really lost here and not sure what to do next with him. He doesn't pee in front of me, but seems to sneak off and do his thing. He is such a cuddley and lovable little guy, if it wasn't for his bad habbits he would be the perfect pet. Your suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thank You.

Lucky Rescue
January 21st, 2004, 09:37 PM
If he's fine physically,and you are sure it's a territorial thing, then I would start over with housetraining him as though he were a small puppy. Confine him and take him out at regular intervals, and praise when he goes outside.

If he is lifting his leg against the same furniture all the time, you can get him a belly band - this usually makes male dogs stop marking in the house.

Here is a link on re-training adult dogs.
House training adult dogs (http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/re_housetraining.htm)