Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Shiba just got Neutered--Need some advice

ShibaCry
June 21st, 2006, 11:09 AM
Hi all, this is my first time ever posting here, although I've been a casual reader.

On Monday, my 6 month old Shiba Inu (Oliver) got neutered, and I picked him up from the Vet yesterday.

This is my first ever dog, so basically everything that happens to Oliver is a first time experience for me, and him. When he got home, aside from being groggy and perhaps still a little anxious/scared from the surgery, he appeared to be fine. The only thing that's really been bothering him has been the area that was shaved for the surgery, in that it's a little red and irritated and he constantly keeps licking it. Surprisingly, he's not really licking the wound, but the area around it where the vet shaved him and is now a little red.

I spoke with a friend, and she recommended for me to buy some bactine spray to spray in the area around the wound, where he constantly keeps licking (where he's irritated from being shaved). I've used it, and it does appear to help a bit, but when I spray it, the poor thing obviously does feel some pain/burning (i would imagine)...

last night he slept like a log, but this morning, he was back at licking the surrounding area, and it's still a little red. The vet had given me one of those cone thingies (sorry for not knowing the proper name), to put around his head, but since Oliver is so darn flexible, it was practically useless, b/c he could still reach the area and was still able to lick at will. In fact, I feel it was worse, b/c not only could he reach the area, but the plastic kept rubbing against the area making it worse I would imagine. So I just ended up taking it off, and I'm constantly watching him and pulling his head away when he goes to lick...

Would anyone have any advice on other things I might be able to do in order to alleviate his itch/discomfort in that are?? I'd really appreciate it.

jessi76
June 21st, 2006, 11:44 AM
I would probably just use a triple antibiotic ointment, 2x a day. Put a thin layer on, and then *try* to distract the dog. (I know... easier said, than done)

When my dog got snipped I got him a few new things to chew on, to keep his attention off his minor wound. Hooves are great, but oh my, are they ever smelly! I got the filled hooves from my local feed store (a hoof, filled w/ a meaty gel filling). Real bones are good too... or a super duper knuckle bone... basically something that he'll find VERY tasty and will keep him occupied and not focused on the shaved area.

I hope Oliver feels better soon!

ShibaCry
June 21st, 2006, 11:56 AM
I would probably just use a triple antibiotic ointment, 2x a day. Put a thin layer on, and then *try* to distract the dog. (I know... easier said, than done)

When my dog got snipped I got him a few new things to chew on, to keep his attention off his minor wound. Hooves are great, but oh my, are they ever smelly! I got the filled hooves from my local feed store (a hoof, filled w/ a meaty gel filling). Real bones are good too... or a super duper knuckle bone... basically something that he'll find VERY tasty and will keep him occupied and not focused on the shaved area.

I hope Oliver feels better soon!

thanks very much for the advice jessi--I'll pick him up a few toys/bones later on today. Hopefully the hair will grow in quicker:thumbs up

Prin
June 21st, 2006, 04:11 PM
If you get a kong, you'll have a lifetime of distraction ahead... (You can fill it with all sorts of stuff).:)