Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cockapoo, swoolen genitals

sherryfriday
June 21st, 2006, 09:47 AM
My Cockapoo is 9 months old, in the past week she has been licking her genitals constantly. I saw a little blood and i thought she is just getting her first period. Seems to be even more swolen today. Is this normal or is something else wrong. She doesn't seem sick.

jawert1
June 21st, 2006, 09:56 AM
Have you had her spayed? If not, I think it's time you make an appointment, sounds to me like she's in heat. In any case, please call your vet and get her in ASAP, if she is in heat, you need to keep her away from other dogs so you don't end up with an unwanted litter of puppies.

Shaykeija
June 21st, 2006, 10:14 PM
Definitely in heat.

kaytris
June 21st, 2006, 10:19 PM
Definitely in season, and its time to keep her leashed, never let her in the yard unattended, and immediately book an appointment to get her spayed. Some vets will do in-season spays, but since it is more complicated, expect to pay more.

erykah1310
June 21st, 2006, 10:36 PM
Some vets will do in-season spays, but since it is more complicated, expect to pay more.
Regardless of cost, its worth it!
Kitas vet didnt want to spay her when she was in season because of potential for extra blood loss. I had her done 1 week after her spay ( incase there WAS an ooooops)
Call your vet and scheduel an appointment, your pooch will thank you.

Prin
June 22nd, 2006, 10:46 AM
Be careful because right now, even with the windows shut, all the males in the area probably know exactly where she is already.:(