Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chi won't eat when I am around

Lump of Kohl
June 20th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I have a 10month old Chihuahua mix that doesn't like to eat when I am around. He will sometimes do it if I have already eaten. But when I get home late I don't eat(gotta what my girlish figure:p ). So I put his food out then get on the computer and close my bedroom door. The problem is I now have two puppies(another Chihuahua mix 5months female) and when I close the door I am not sure who is eating what. He was first so I put the food down and then put him in front of it but he runs off immediately. He used to have to fight for food so he has the habit of taking a little bit and then running off. (By the way, is that something I can break? There are Wee Bits all over my kitchen and living room:yuck: )
Is this something I should worry about? Or should I just let them work it out. I feed twice a day. I put food out in the morning when I go to work(the patio is their play area) and then when I come home.

Prin
June 20th, 2006, 08:46 PM
If you feed him in the room with you alone (with no other doggies), does he eat? Some dogs that aren't too high in the pack aren't comfortable eating when the others are eating or haven't eaten yet.

kaytris
June 20th, 2006, 08:47 PM
I'd feed him in a crate.

stinkytaz
June 21st, 2006, 07:51 AM
I know what you mean about having little bits of doggy dinner all over the house...taz will potter about whilst chewing and if he finds something more interesting he will just open his mouth and out falls all the dinner onto the carpet or whatever...there is nothing i can do to stop this other than feed him in a confined area, on his own, if you do this you will also be able to tell how much he is eating. As long as your pup is the correct weight and not lethargic Im sure he will be eating enough.