Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Obedience classes on the South Shore?

coppperbelle
June 20th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Does anyone know of a good place for obedience classes on the south shore of MOntreal? I attend classes in Lachine but someone I know wants a class on the shore. It would need to be someone who starts with basic puppy classes.

dragon_queen
June 21st, 2006, 10:14 AM
I live on the south shore, there is a dog obedience class on Lawrence in Greenfield park. ( near the corner of Taschereau). I have never taken a dog there but it has been there for years so maybe your friend could check it out. It's in the yellow pages under "centre Canin International"

BoxerRescueMTL
June 21st, 2006, 12:36 PM
I would not recommend that place on Lawrence..that's all I can say here I think ;)

meb999
June 21st, 2006, 12:53 PM
I would not recommend that place on Lawrence..that's all I can say here I think ;)
agreed 100% I could tell you stories that would curl your hair...but I won't....

coppperbelle
June 21st, 2006, 12:58 PM
No problem, I had no intention of telling the lady to go there. The fact that they sell puppies in cages in the front window is so disturbing to me.

BoxerRescueMTL
June 21st, 2006, 01:00 PM
I know you know that copperbelle!! :) That place has quite the reputation..I just didn't want anyone reading the forums go there..

poodletalk
June 21st, 2006, 01:40 PM
Try Helene at: Belleviedechien.com.

She's excellent, she comes to the SPCA Monteregie dogwalk every year.
http://www.belleviedechien.com

gillnav
July 27th, 2007, 10:10 PM
yes i agree with all above - DO NOT GO TO CENTRE CANIN, they have 24 breeds (not a good sign), pups kept in cages near the window, no air conditioning, some dogs with bad temperaments, training methods questionable.

rameets
July 27th, 2007, 10:39 PM
this post is a little outdated, but please everyone do not go there, if you really love pets/animals/dogs do not go there, and please do your best to not let anyone go there to have their heart broken and wallets ripped, personal bad experience, pm if more info needed.

rameets
July 27th, 2007, 10:40 PM
this post is a little outdated, but please everyone do not go there, if you really love pets/animals/dogs do not go there, and please do your best to not let anyone go there to have their heart broken and wallets ripped, personal bad experience, pm if more info needed. centre canin that is.

BullDogMac
January 8th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I know that Centre Canin has a bad reputation and it is in part just. They do use harsh methods for training dogs, specialy those with temperment issues. The truth is that there is no justification for animal cruelty.
One thing we have to keep in mind is that they will try and train almost any dog.
Imagine you have an overly agressive or overly dominant dog, let say a pittbull, rott, doberman or any other breed that is considered "dangerous, aggressive or violent". And you dont want to get rid of your dog but just want him trained. You would think that it is not so hard to find a trainner willing and able, right... well most trainers will not train extremly difficult dogs and certain "violence-prone" breeds. If you find someone willing, then you have to make sure they are able. So you are then left with three choises;
- Deal with the dogs behavior until it becomes problamatic,
- Get rid of the dog,
- or you can find someone to train the dog so that it can stay with your family.
Well, centre canin will do that. But this is what you have to be aware of;
YES, they will be ruff with the aggresive dogs. But unfortunately, with SOME dogs that is what it takes to save the dogs life. In those cases, don't the ends justify the means? (to a certain extent of course)
Yes, they are firm believers in the choker training, but if you dont want your dog trained by choker, DON'T GO THERE. They will not lie and say "we dont use chokers as a tool for training dogs" since they are known for the use of chockers.
So in short if you dont agree with choker training then DO NOT GO TO CENTRE CANIN. But if you ever have an agressive or dominant dog that you can't handle, you know where to take it. They are a recognized school with licensed trainners.
And the truth is they aren't as bad as their reputation but they are FAR from the best. The present staff are kind and want to see the client and dog happy. But lets face it, unfortunatelu they are a business and as such are out to make money and that my friends is where the problem begins.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and have a nice day.

luckypenny
January 8th, 2009, 07:27 PM
But if you ever have an agressive or dominant dog that you can't handle, you know where to take it.

Sorry, but I wonder how likely it would be for them to admit that this sort of training can often exacerbate aggression issues. It may work on some dogs, but could be extremely dangerous for owners and their families of others. Frankly, I would never take any dog to a place that sells 20 different breeds of dogs in cages kept in their windows either.

In addition, you can find trainers/behaviorists who work with aggressive dogs in the region, you just have to look.

luckypenny
January 8th, 2009, 07:40 PM
:yell: :yell: :yell:

Just checked their website...they're now having an inventory sale on young dogs to make room for new litters :mad: :wall:

coppperbelle
January 8th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I know little of their training methods/ What I do know is that they sell many different breeds of puppies:wall: who are kept in cages which are stacked 4 or 5 high. :cry: They are kept in front of a window with little protection from the sun in the summer or cold in the winter. :evil:
I would not frequent this establishment based on this alone.

Some of the trainers may know what they are doing however is it necessary for them to wear military type gear while training a puppy to walk on a leash? It does not impress me.

coppperbelle
January 8th, 2009, 08:06 PM
:yell: :yell: :yell:

Just checked their website...they're now having an inventory sale on young dogs to make room for new litters :mad: :wall:

Oh wonderful!