Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dani update

lewisw
June 20th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Hi all,
Just wanted to update you I am glad thier is a forum that says if your pet is vomiting or has dhiarrea see your vet.

Just got back and now Dani is on 250mg of Metrinidazole twice a day for 5 days to try and get her stool not to be like water.

I am feeding her Nutro dry dog food which she never had a big appetaite to begin with and I attributed that to stress but she is at least eating . Only problem is her stool has been like water since her shots on Friday which the vet says is a co-incidence.

Dani was tested for worms parasites and the test was negative .

She also started her sentinal on Saturday at the same time she had her shots.

My only concern and wonder if it is normal is she sleeps ALL THE TIME. She is only max 1 year old shouldnt she be more playful ? Walking with me she loves and we can go for miles with no hassles and she is always ahead and pulling me so I don;t think it is related to any health problems as the vet says physicly she is in great health.

I'm a little worried that maybe Dani is too calm and is it a sign of something that could be wrong ? I love her to pieces and I am always worried about her.

But at least now when she sees me she gives me this beautiful bum dance every day.

Best,
Lewis

jawert1
June 20th, 2006, 06:58 PM
ooft, I'd say she's dealing with overload from all the stuff introduced to her system in a 24 hour period. My Peaches can't handle having her heartworm preventative and her flea/tick goop in a short amount of time (3 days in between is too close) without her starting to throw up and have the runs. The metroniadazole will clear up any bacterial growth she may have started, but how quickly did you switch her to Nutro? Over time or overnight? The reason I ask is that whenever a food change is in order, it should be really gradual, some dogs (again, my Peaches) can't handle a fast change and they get the runs horribly. For now tho, until she's well and you're through the antibiotics, I'd stick to a bland diet of boiled chicken or boiled lamb (gross I know) and rice, and then gradually mix in her regular food from there. I hope she starts feeling better soon and keep pushing your vet if you're not happy with the answers. Some vets (like mine) are extremely grateful for an owner that comes in armed and ready :)

OH! one other thing, when my 2 came home from the shelter, for the space of almost a month, they walked about like zombies and slept a LOT. After that month, I was wishing they were still zonked ;) Having been dumped is a hideous and stressful experience, I won't be surprised if she snaps out of it soon and you find yourself wondering why you were worried :)

lewisw
June 20th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Oooops I guess I did the wrong thing as I did not know what food Dani was eating at the shelter so me trying to be the good dad I want to be went out and bought the bioggest bag of Nutro that the pet shop reccomended.

Well on our walk we just got back I saw something really new and cute. Dani was chasing flys and prancing on them in the grass !!!!

I'm sure you are right and I am just being a worrywart :)
Best
Lewis

jawert1
June 20th, 2006, 08:19 PM
You did just fine by wanting her to have good food :) And its even more fun to see the puzzled look on their fuzzy little faces when they actually *catch* a fly :D

lewisw
June 21st, 2006, 04:52 AM
Worried now ....
Woke up this morning to a huge puddle of diahhrea I mean like 12"wide on the kitchen floor.

Wondering if it is from the Metrinidazole as that is the only change to her ?

Besides that she has NEVER had an accident in the house.

Hope the pills start to work I'm worried about her.

Lewis

jesse's mommy
June 21st, 2006, 05:03 AM
Awwww, poor Dani. She probably has no idea what is going on. It's most likely the medication, but give the vet a call and let him know. Poor little baby. I know Jesse just gets this look on her face when she has diarrhea like "Why me?" or "Can you please baby me?"

lewisw
June 21st, 2006, 05:12 AM
I'm going to call the vet again this morning as we just came back from our morning walk and she pooped like pee . Came out all like water....
She only had 2 does of the metroniadazole .

This is probably why she is so drained all the time.

I'll update you all after I speak to the vet.
My poor baby.

Lewis

Puppyluv
June 21st, 2006, 06:48 AM
Oh Lewis, poor Dani! I hope all goes well at the vet today and that they can figure out what is wrong AND fix it! My thoughts will be with you and her today!:grouphug:

mastifflover
June 21st, 2006, 06:49 AM
I think it is overload from the meds and the new food. If it is nothing medical which I hope it is not. I would boil some rice and chicken and give Dani just that the rice helps to bind her. I would normally suggest pepto bismal but I don't think you want to give Dani anything else. Then once Dani has poop that looks like poop not loose at all slowly introduce the food mixed in to the rice and chicken. Just to many changes at once and I know that everything you have done is for Dani's benefit but probably it shocked the system with to many new things on top of all the meds. I have found dogs to be lethargic after there shots for a day or two but then they bounce back. Hope Dani is okay

chico2
June 21st, 2006, 07:12 AM
Awww Lewis,poor Dani I hope we'll have some good news today.:fingerscr
You are not being a worrywart,just a loving owner..
Diarrhea(Sp?)is always worry-some and often draining on the animal.
I've been known to follow my cats to the litterbox and cheer loudly when the poop got normal:eek:
Please,never be worried about asking the vet about anything,if you are not satisfied with answers..Good Luck:fingerscr

lewisw
June 21st, 2006, 07:46 AM
Thanks so much to you all for your kind words of support and encouragement (s) . I am going to go home at lunch since it is only a 15 minute drive and take her out.

Myra my wife said it's the first time since we have her that she did not come upsatirs as she was leaving and stayed in my computer room under my desk since I left this morning.

She also is going to boil up some chcicken to add to the rice and I will take her off the Nutro until I see her stool is coming close to normal and then slowly re-introdcue it to her.

Again thank you to all you are a great support group. I'm finding it hard to work today as I keep thinking about Dani.

Talk to you soon my friends.
Lewis

jawert1
June 21st, 2006, 08:37 AM
Gosh Lewis I hope she starts feeling better soon, keep after your vet until she is and give her tons of pets for us :grouphug:

lewisw
June 21st, 2006, 08:54 AM
Thanks Jawert,
I decided I'm going to pick her up at lunch and let her sleep in my office at least she will know I am close by. I think this is what she needs right now.

Inverness
June 21st, 2006, 10:53 AM
Lewis, I'm starting to think Dani is taking a little too long to improve. Does she drink at all ? Metronidazole usually works really quickly. Is Dani still eating ? Have you withdrawn the food for 24 hours ? I'm not sure what state she is in really, but by the sound of it, I'd go back to the vet...

Dog Dancer
June 21st, 2006, 10:56 AM
Lewis - my thoughts are with you and Dani. I know the problem of which you speak:yuck: If you take Dani to work make sure you take her outside if she gets up from under the desk. She may not have much time to give you signals that she needs to go... Give her time, I'm sure it will settle down. Keep in touch with your vet and make sure she's drinking so as not to dehydrate. :fingerscr

technodoll
June 21st, 2006, 11:04 AM
a year and a half ago, my boy lost 6 lbs in a week due to watery, bloody diarrhea, his GI tract was so irritated he could not digest anything... his system was all upside down after months of problems. after extenstive testing, he came clean (no pancreatis, parasites, etc) so he was put on Metronidazole for 3 weeks, and Sucralfate for 10 days. He was also put on a special rice & hydrolized soy protein vet kibble (can you believe the stuff has no meat?) and it worked. after 24 hours, there was visible relief, after two days he had firmer poops and day 3, normal output, no gas... we were so happy. he was on this awful food for about 3 weeks and after that, a slow re-introduction to raw and he's been fine ever since.

maybe ask your vet for sucralfate & the hydrolised protein kibble to help sooth that irritated GI tract... after he deems there is no underlying cause for the watery stools, of course. good luck!

lewisw
June 21st, 2006, 12:18 PM
Lewis, I'm starting to think Dani is taking a little too long to improve. Does she drink at all ? Metronidazole usually works really quickly. Is Dani still eating ? Have you withdrawn the food for 24 hours ? I'm not sure what state she is in really, but by the sound of it, I'd go back to the vet...

She is drinking plenty of water so I am hoping this is a good sign as she already went through a bowl of water since I brought her here to my office at 12:30

I spoke to the vet this morning and she told me to only give her 1/2 cup rice then abnother 1/2 cup 2 hours later twice a day for 48 hours and then start to introduce boiled chicken slowly till her stool is normal. The vet said if she does not get better by Sunday to call and bring her back in.

She is with me now in my office but she is not herself as before she would follow me wherever I go now even though she is on a long leash beside my desk she does not move when I go out of my office.

I'm starting to get really worried Inverness .

chico2
June 21st, 2006, 03:48 PM
Lewis,I can understand your worry,but Dani just HAS to get better,now when she has a wonderful loving life ahead of her.
Sending her and your family lots of positive wibes:love:

LibbyP
June 21st, 2006, 03:54 PM
(I) think that waiting till Sunday is far to long, today is only Wed, if she is that lethargic poor,poor girl, my thoughts are with you hoping she comes around, but again (I) wouldn't wait.:grouphug:

doggy lover
June 21st, 2006, 04:15 PM
My last dog had lots of tummy problems, and I would hold his food for 24 hours and then give him rice and ground beef, also yogurt is good too, it helps with the beneficial bacteria in their intestines. I use to give him pepto bismol aswell. He would get a little runny from heart worm meds and shots too, it could be the combo.

I was looking at the type of heartworm meds that you gave her as border collies have allergies to some of them and other meds) but that is the same one that Tucker is on so it should be ok. I believe she is half border collie right?

I hope she feels better soon, watch for dehydration and I would take her back sooner if she is still not well Sun. is a long way off. Her mood could be a little of not feeling well and maybe she is still settling in to a new home. good luck.

SnowDancer
June 21st, 2006, 04:35 PM
Maybe ask your vet about feeting Dani Hill's Canned I/D to help with stomach upset. I always have a couple of cans on hand for my Eskimo. First started using it after his bout with a virus last October that was going around Toronto. Normally I feed him Salmon based kibble, but this stuff is great for tummy problems. When you gave Dani the Sentinel as assuming you gave it with a full meal - just checking - as if you don't, tummy upset can result - although not to extent that Dani is experiencing. Re lethargy certainly it can be a result of her current health problems, but I found that when I was working, should I or my husband be home Mon. - Friday for any reason (my dogs could tell Sat. and Sun. were different) our presence would interfere with their "naps" which they took until about 4:00. They practically sighed with the necessity to get up and keep us in line. My Eskimo is the same - not to active until just after 4:00 and then Eskie moment time. If Dani does not improve soon, I would go back to vet - especially if she starts throwing up. It was the throwing up combined with the diarrhea that required my guy to spend 3 days in hospital with the virus.

lewisw
June 21st, 2006, 04:38 PM
I'm only going to wait till Friday if there is no difference I'm going to insist on seeing a vet. At least she is drinking water but I gave her rice when I got home from my office and she has not touched it.
Lewis

Rottielover
June 21st, 2006, 05:33 PM
If you are worried, then I would go and do a full blood panel, she may have something underlying that you can not tell. Let us know, keep us posted

lewisw
June 21st, 2006, 05:37 PM
If you are worried, then I would go and do a full blood panel, she may have something underlying that you can not tell. Let us know, keep us posted

Of course I will you are my support group.
Lewis

Frenchy
June 21st, 2006, 06:37 PM
Poor Dani,I do hope it's only because of all the changes in her life.:fingerscr

lewisw
June 21st, 2006, 08:14 PM
Wohooooooooooo :thumbs up as gross as it sounds Dani had a solid poop just now on her walk and she is more like herself pouncing on flys in the grass.
I also for the first time actualy heard a growl when she saw a cat and this is the first vocal noise I have heard from her since we got her.

Oh soooooooooo happy :) I am tonight !!!!
Lewis

Puppyluv
June 21st, 2006, 08:16 PM
Lewis, that's FANTASTIC!!! I'm so happy to hear her poop was solid!!! I hope it stays this way!!!

technodoll
June 21st, 2006, 10:26 PM
doing the happy poo-dance for you! i know how happy you are feeling right now! :crazy:

chico2
June 22nd, 2006, 06:57 AM
Don't we all just love solid poop:D great stuff!!

lewisw
June 22nd, 2006, 07:18 AM
Thanks Chico2 ,
The neighbor who saw me pick up after Dani must have thought I was crazy how happy I was to pick up poop!!!

chico2
June 22nd, 2006, 07:38 AM
Well Lewis,we are all a bit crazy,crazy in love with our animals:thumbs up
Between my 3 cats and my walking-companion Bailey,solid poop is very important:D

mastifflover
June 22nd, 2006, 07:44 AM
Yipee for you and Dani. I am so happy Dani is starting to feel better. Good news for my morning and I bet yours.

lewisw
June 22nd, 2006, 07:45 AM
Chico2,
Not to sound stupid but what is your walking companion ? I think saw her picture posted in a previous thread and if I recall a cocker spaniel . Is a walking companion a friends dog that you take for walks with you ?

Lewis

jawert1
June 22nd, 2006, 08:15 AM
It's not crazy at all, anytime either Peaches or Simon are sick and I finally get solid poop out of them, you'd think I'd won the lottery or they'd just saved Timmy from the well. I'm glad she's feeling better, and probably good to know that you're finding out she's iffy on cats ;)

LibbyP
June 22nd, 2006, 08:25 AM
Ya hooo:thumbs up glad to hear the poops are better and so is her energy level, I know what you mean about the neighbours thinking you are crazy, that happened here last summer I would follow the big girl around the backyard to see her go (ate corn cobs) and I was never happier to see all that corn come out the other end:o Ya hoo again

Frenchy
June 22nd, 2006, 11:21 AM
Hourra for the solid poop!!:thumbs up