Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What's the best food for (very) small breed dogs?

Dora7
June 20th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Well, I am a few days away from adopting the newest member of my family. :) I think I have everything that I need, however I am still up in the air on the best type of food for my little friend.

He is a yorkie mix and a very, very small dog (a little less than 5 pounds). I have NEVER had a dog this small and was wondering what is the best type of food for small breed dogs (like a yorkie). He is beyong the puppy years at one year old.

Any advice? Suggestions?
:ca:

meb999
June 20th, 2006, 07:28 PM
I like Solid Gold Just a Wee Bit Adult (bison) -- it's a great food for little ones :)

Product Description
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diet specially formulated for the high energy needs of small breed adult dogs, or those dogs that will be 20 pounds or less as adults. Just a Wee Bit is available in a very small kibble to accommodate small mouths.

Crude Protein, Min 28%
Crude Fat, Min 18%
Crude Fiber, Max 4%
Moisture, Max 10%
380 kcal/cup

Ingredients
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bison | Salmon Meal | Millet | Brown Rice | Cracked Pearled Barley | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Garlic | Amaranth | Blueberries | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Dried Chicory Root | Taurine | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Selenomethionine | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

Prin
June 20th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I agree. It's made more dense so you can feed a lot less (so he doesn't have to eat his weight in food every day). And the fish in it is going to make the fur great. Just switch gradually (1-2 weeks). Most adopted dogs are on terrible food, and switching to holistic food can be hard.

Dora7
June 20th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Someone suggested "Royal Canin ~ for Yorkies". Is this product any good?

Prin
June 20th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Not really. The breed specific Royal Canin foods are loaded with corn and are basically a gimmick. If you look at the ingredients and compare with the Solid Gold Just a Wee Bit, you'll see a huge difference. The two foods just aren't even close. Royal Canin is not a holistic food.

You'll have to look at a bag for the ingredients of the Royal Canin- they're not on their website...:rolleyes:
Here's the wee bit site: http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=68&code=140

technodoll
June 20th, 2006, 10:50 PM
http://www.royalcanin.ca/products/hn/breed/yorkshire_ingredients_en.php

so you'll see, the ingredients are not that great... grain by-products and corn in the first ingredients are a sign of a "cheap" food. also not human-grade ingredients... you are paying for hype, imo!

Chicken meal, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, chicken, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols) , brewers rice flour, dried eggs, brown rice, barley, natural chicken flavour, cellulose, beet pulp, brewers yeast, canola oil, salmon oil,...

Prin
June 21st, 2006, 03:23 AM
Geez, eh? You have to be careful- I was looking at the site from France by accident.. www.royalcanin.com :rolleyes:

Yeah, the only thing good in there is the salmon oil and canola oil, and both are so far down the list.:rolleyes: Everything before the first fat (except the chicken meal) is pretty crap and then after the fat down to the canola oil is the worst... It just doesn't compare, IMO.

gomez
June 21st, 2006, 05:14 AM
When Gomez was tiny we had him on Burns Mini-Bites, he ate that until he weighed about 6 pounds now he's onto the "big boy" Burns...
He has done very well on it and his coat is nice and thick, and he is very healthy.

LianneCatherine
June 21st, 2006, 10:10 AM
Yikes! I've been feeding Audrie Science Diet and Royal Canin. I will have to switch!!! :eek:

Shamrock
June 21st, 2006, 03:47 PM
I rejected the Royal Canin cat foods long ago, but my pet store recomended their speciality dog food to try as one "excellent' (which I knew at a glance it wasnt) and popular with fussy-eating small breeds.
Having ongoing issuues with my adult toy poodle's food rejection, I decided to try it.
Initially, I was just pleased that he would eat it.. And.. it wasnt the "worst' I rationalized...;) But it isnt even close to the best either, this was bothering me.

I recently ditched this food. The price doesnt match the quality at all, as verifed by the ingredients listed here.
I felt we were both being short changed. Especially him.:sad:

I have him on Merricks now, far better quality, and to my suprise, he not only eats it.. he seems to love it.:highfive:

The brands suggested here, Solid Gold Just a Wee Bit, Wellness, are a couple that are excellent foods, would be a far better choice for your little guy. My pet store doesnt carry this Solid Gold product, but I would like to try it for a kibble,.. have to find one that does.

Good luck with your new addition! Hope you'll post pics of the little sweetie.:)

Dora7
June 21st, 2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the responses! Solid Gold sounds like a good brand, so I will definately check my local petstore for it.

When I do get my little buddy, I will post his introduction under the intro forum (and try to include a picture if I can!). I also have two cats who would probably like in on the action! :D

meb999
June 21st, 2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the responses! Solid Gold sounds like a good brand, so I will definately check my local petstore for it.

'petstores' often don't carry the higher-end dog foods. If your local petstore doesn't have it, don't get discouraged and look around for a good pet food store. where are you located?

Prin
June 22nd, 2006, 09:41 AM
If you can't find it, check out the solid gold site for the distributer in your area and call them... Their store lists on the internet aren't too up-to-date...

Dora7
June 22nd, 2006, 04:37 PM
I have looked on their website and I have found a place that sells Solid Gold only about 15 minutes from my house. It is more expensive than the other brand, but its better to pay more for good quality food. Thank-you for the advice!