Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Weight Loss -- How Many of you Are Currently Trying?

LianneCatherine
June 20th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I'm unofficially looking to lose some weight. I'm 5'2 and hmmm probably hovering around 130lbs. I'd like to lose 10-15lbs ideally, but I'll take what I can get. I wondered if anyone else is in the same boat, and if you have any tried and true advice?

I'm trying the minimalistic approach, or, basically not changing anything DRASTICALLY. Diets have failed in the past because they were too difficult to commit to permanently. I understand it must be a lifestyle change and not a 2-week quick fix. So, I've been monitoring what I eat, and trying to abstain from overeating. I've also been taking Audrie on as long of walks as she can stand! :D

PS. I've read just about every nutritional journal, health column, fitness magazine, etc. on the subject, I'm curious to see what REAL people do to lose weight!

LianneCatherine
June 20th, 2006, 06:54 PM
PSS. I'm also cutting sugar...my favorite thing! Poo!! :(

mafiaprincess
June 20th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Keep in mind muscle weighs more than fat.. I've given up on the scale and instead focus on what I fit into. I lost 4 pants sizes skiing, and lost all of 3/4 of a pound. Toned up, gained muscle and lost some chub.. but if I watched the scale I'd be really upset about it all.

So it often bugs me hearign people say I need to loose x pounds, since you may look 10x better and still weigh the same..

I do 1-2 things with my dog daily including low stuff for me like walking, or high stuff like blading, try to go to the gym a few times a week, but I'm not obsessive about it.

Prin
June 20th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I would like to lose some, because with my thyroid thing, I've gained quite a bit that is impossible to lose. It sucks too because I'm afraid to cut down too much because I was anorexic when I was younger and the way I got there (i.e. sickly) was such a gradual process.:rolleyes: So I've decided just to try to love my curves and tires for now.:D

LianneCatherine
June 20th, 2006, 07:06 PM
I know what you're saying mafiaprincess, I think it's a good idea to measure inches around the waist, thighs, arms, etc. to get a better gauge of how much progress is being made. Weight is pretty arbitrary but the difference of 10 lbs is definitely a sign of actual loss as opposed to water weight or whatever that you see in a 1-2 lbs gain/loss. So the combination of the two can help. ;)

dtbmnec
June 20th, 2006, 07:15 PM
I should be working on gaining weight, however because I'm not eating much (I have issues where I'm making like 10 dishes for one meal for just me to eat) and I should be eating more. It is hard for me to gain weight in the first place because I've been blessed with a fast metabolism.

What I'm supposed to be doing is drinking one of those slim-fast drinks while I'm eating supper (and a nice big one at that) and eating lunch as well. I'm still working on breakfast....I haven't had breakfast since my grade 9 year! Man those slim fast things are beefy though! My mother used this diet to gain some weight as well (since it was equivalent of her eating 4 times a day) because she needed to weigh more before becoming pregnant (I think that was the reason anyway).

I'm not anorexic and I never will be since all of my life I've been thinking that I'm much too skinny. I look in the mirror and see myself and I think "I need to add some fat! or muscle or something!" I have never ever ever ever thought of myself as fat and my friends are under strict orders to maim me if I ever start thinking so. Most people when looking at me though think that I am anorexic even after protesting this fact!

Megan

Puppyluv
June 20th, 2006, 07:17 PM
For most of my life I was of the "I'm underweight and trying to gain" group. But then in feb my doctor prescribed these medications to treat an internal inflammation which dropped my metabolism down to 800 calories a day. Add that to the fact that I couldn't run until just two weeks ago, and the fact that my hunger didn't change, I am now of the "trying to lose". It's really annoying that if I eat a sandwich, I know that I've eaten half of the calories I need for the day. I mean really, who can eat only 800 in a day?? And to lose, I have to eat like 500-600! I'm on these meds for another 6 months.. soo... it's gonna be a fun year :thumbs up

LianneCatherine
June 20th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Hmmmm perhaps this thread would be more appropriate for my fellow Americans! :usa: Just kiddin! I wish I had to gain weight, I can think of a few things I'd eat....

LibbyP
June 20th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Well I have to say I'm in the trying to loose side of things, like mafiaprincess I measure by clothes that fit, I have a drawer that has clothes with the tags still on, I know if I can fit into those I've lost something somewhere, even though the scales haven't changed. I've cut out bread, except 100% whole wheat(which I really don't like:yuck: ) I'm eating alot more protein(which is hard for me as I don't really like meat, and we cannot have peanut butter in the house:sick: ), I try and have one good carb a day(1/2 baked potato) I ride my NEW bike(mother's day present) alot and I go to the gym(at least I try to 3 x week) no snacks after supper which is why it is soo hard to see the pics of the yummy cookies and deserts, popcorn is okay, drink tons of water. And so far something must be working as I can now fit into some of those clothes in the drawer and I feel better about myself:)and you cannot expect to see a change overnight it takes weeks/months so don't get discouraged keep up the good work, and others will see a difference

jawert1
June 20th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Lianne, I've lost 60 pounds in the past 4 years, it's an ongoing struggle daily since there are things I LOVE to eat. I've found it's a mixture of portion control and exercise, since I don't restrict myself (other than the food allergies I have) to what I can or cannot eat. Where I used to eat an entire bag of M&M's (1 pounders) in a day, I have a handful occasionally. If I order pizza, I immediately wrap up all but 2 slices, and either fridge em or freeze em so I'm not wasting, but can have my taste if I want it. Also, despite what some diet nuts will tell you, fruit does NOT replace your craving for chocolate, but it's all contingent upon whether you eat that sleeve of Thin Mints (damn you Girl Scouts damn you!!) or just have 3 (which I've found, divy them up into small sammich bags of 3 and stick em in the freezer - great for a fix and so good frozen). Having 2 55lb dogs doesn't hurt either, I exercise 3-4 times a day beyond going to the gym, just by walking (or rather being walked) them. Feel free to PM me, I've got some great recipes scaled down so the portions are manageable.

Copper'sMom
June 20th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Here's my diet tips!! McDonald's, KFC, New Orleans Pizza and Harvey's. Oh and Triple cream in my Tim Horton coffee at leats twice a day!!!:crazy:

Oh sorry to rub that in!LOL I too have a super fast metabolism. Or maybe I can't gain because I never sit still long enough or I just don't eat enough food for my body to store some. My dad had 1 sister who is tiny like me. Everyone else in his family and my mom's family are over weight! Some by a little, but most of them by alot!:eek:
My doctor says I'm perfectly healthy. Except if he saw me now, I don't know what he'd say. I'm 5 ft and just 80lbs.:( I would love to gain 10-15lbs or more!

Sometimes, you can't control your weight completely. It sucks, but it's all in your genes and you can't change them but you can change these jeans!:crazy: (I'll be ok!) lol

technodoll
June 20th, 2006, 08:18 PM
i'm not overweight but that darn little tummy bulge just never leaves... so yeah, need to tone up rather than lose weight, but still i'm always feeling guilty about almost everything i eat (yet i still eat it, LOL). luckily i cannot eat large amounts of anything so a soup will be a nice dinner for me, i'll be happy with frozen yogurt instead of ice-cream, my weakness is chips but i eat popcorn instead (air-popped but with a bit of melted butter added), and i don't like meats very much so no cravings for steaks or fried chicken... man, it's hard to get older, LOL!
:crazy:

Frenchy
June 20th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Copper's mom,you sound like me but way skinnier!Fast metabolism,can't stand still,...5"2,97 pounds.I usually weight around 103.Drop to 92 pounds before christmas,don't know why.I barely eat meat=:yuck: ,I eat A LOT for breakfast,a lot for lunch but not hungry for dinner.Around 9h00-10h00 pm I will have chocolate muffin,cake,toast with lots of cheese....Puppyluv,800 cals a day?That cannot be good for your health!I think as long as the weight is not damaging your health,why diet?I would like to have 10 more pounds (bigger boobs :p ) and some curves.

Prin
June 20th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Also, despite what some diet nuts will tell you, fruit does NOT replace your craving for chocolateOMG that is so true. I have never been able to alter the chocolate cravings with anything but hot chocolate. I admit, it's not fatless, but still better than the 15grams of fat in a small bar.:rolleyes:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 20th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I am also trying to tone up and lose the same five pounds I gain and lose it over and over again - Right now I follow the eating for life plan - by Bill Phillips I love it. I am not overweight 5.8 and 140 ish sometimes I go down a bit and somtimes I go up a bit

Also joined a gym in town they had a trial $4 but just the aerobics classes for one month cant beat that - the trial just ended today - they had another trial $99 for three months total use of the gym - they werent gonna let me do that one as I already did the one month - they wanted me to commit to a whole year. (Still not working so cant commit to that right now) They actually told me no on the phone - then I asked a different lady and she starts signing me up ...then the lady that I spoke with on the phone came over and saw me signing up for the three months...and she is like no you cant do that you already did the one month. So the other option was 10 drop in tickets for 60 bucks. So I said you know your getting more money out of me if I spend 99 rather than 60 so whats the problem. So she said no again - then I was like well I am gonna have to think about this and went to walk out - when she was like ok hold on - she came back in a few minutes and I got the three months - yeah... moral of the story hold out for what you want. :D

Puppyluv
June 20th, 2006, 10:03 PM
.Puppyluv,800 cals a day?That cannot be good for your health!I think as long as the weight is not damaging your health,why diet?I would like to have 10 more pounds (bigger boobs :p ) and some curves.
800 is all I burn in a day. I had a metabolic test done, and once walks are added in I come in at just over 800. I don't eat 800, there's no way I could. But even eating 1200-1500 calories a day, I gain a pound a week. It's not affecting my health now, but it will if it continues for the whole year I'm on these meds :(

technodoll
June 20th, 2006, 10:18 PM
wow puppyluv, that just stinks :(

eat popcorn! it's lovely and pretty much fat-free if you air-pop it and just spray on some olive oil & seasonings... heck i wouldn't know how to eat that few calories in a day, how do you do it? :eek:

Bushfire2000
June 20th, 2006, 10:36 PM
I have lots to lose.
But thanks to a weight loss program I've lost almost 60lbs since January.

It's not easy.

Take heart even a little change can make a big difference.

A lot of people don't have a clue how hard it can be to lose weight. I think that sometimes those who are blessed with good genetics and high metabolisms (I'm married to one) can't understand why looking at a cake or fried chicken makes me gain weight.

As for chocolate thank the lord above for whoever invented that 100 cal. chocolate bar. The taste of the Dark chocolate ones last a long time. Diets are an industry and companies are listening to what consumers want and are providing more low fat, fat free, sugar free, high fiber alternatives.

Writing4Fun
June 20th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Wow, Bushfire! Way to go! Congrats! :highfive:

I've done Weight Watchers and other similar 'lifestyle changes', but they never stick and I end up gaining back more weight than I lost. I'm at the point now where I'm in serious need of a whole whack of weight loss (or size loss, as I prefer to think of it) or I will be in BIG trouble, medically speaking. But I'm now so afraid of winding up even bigger than I am now, that I'm scared to even try. I figure I'd be way better off if I'd just get off my duff and walk every day, but there's always some excuse readily available, which is my indicator that I'm not ready to take on that challenge just yet. :(

Puppyluv
June 20th, 2006, 11:04 PM
wow puppyluv, that just stinks :(

eat popcorn! it's lovely and pretty much fat-free if you air-pop it and just spray on some olive oil & seasonings... heck i wouldn't know how to eat that few calories in a day, how do you do it? :eek:

I do eat popcorn! It's one of my favoite snacks, I have an air-popper and have different seasonings for it. It's been a major godsend for me. I think my biggest problem is that I'm not used to it. I used to be able to eat what I want no problem, and all of a sudden my metabolism is 1/3 of what it used to be. I deffinately DON'T eat that few calories in a day (800 I mean) I eat about 1200-1500 and even that is hard.. especially working near food all day-whether I'm making mac&cheese for the kids, or baking and serving muffins at *$'s, I have to remind myself that if I eat that muffin, I pretty much can't eat anything but salad for the rest of the day. Fortunately I don't have a HUGE sweet tooth.. actually that's not true, I'm just very particular about my sweets, and can't afford the ones I like:p (If I could, I would be in BIG trouble!!!) Oh well..5 months down, 7 months to go!

Prin
June 20th, 2006, 11:04 PM
800 is all I burn in a day. I had a metabolic test done, and once walks are added in I come in at just over 800. I don't eat 800, there's no way I could. But even eating 1200-1500 calories a day, I gain a pound a week. It's not affecting my health now, but it will if it continues for the whole year I'm on these meds :(
Aww, I feel for you. I've been gaining 1.5 lbs a month since I was put on the thyroid meds and even that is a struggle for me- I can't imagine 4...:( :grouphug: One day at a time, I guess.

Bushfire2000
June 20th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Wow, Bushfire! Way to go! Congrats! :highfive:

I've done Weight Watchers and other similar 'lifestyle changes', but they never stick and I end up gaining back more weight than I lost. I'm at the point now where I'm in serious need of a whole whack of weight loss (or size loss, as I prefer to think of it) or I will be in BIG trouble, medically speaking. But I'm now so afraid of winding up even bigger than I am now, that I'm scared to even try. I figure I'd be way better off if I'd just get off my duff and walk every day, but there's always some excuse readily available, which is my indicator that I'm not ready to take on that challenge just yet. :(

Thanks Writing4fun.
I've done the ww and also gained back the weight plus some more. It did take almost 20 years to gain it all back. I decided to try dieting again (after all I might not live another 20 years) so I might die thin."sigh" And if I didn't try I'd for sure die faster and fatter.

technodoll
June 20th, 2006, 11:45 PM
I do eat popcorn! It's one of my favoite snacks, I have an air-popper and have different seasonings for it.

puppyluv, since trying Fireworks popcorn (a friend sent me a sampler pack last year), anything bought in stores here tastes and feels like styrofoam, i absolutey cannot eat it (orville, kernels, etc). i order a few bottles and it lasts a while (comes to about $1 per bowl so still cheap for a filling, satisfying snack!), there is NO comparison. they do ship to canada, it's not cheap but there is no turning back now... http://www.popcornlovers.com/

check out why they are so fabulous: http://www.popcornlovers.com/different.aspx and TRUST me, it's no marketing hype... every bowl is different, extremely satisfying and it's often a meal for me.

you can PM me if you want more info, hey every little bit helps right? :o

Puppyluv
June 21st, 2006, 07:36 AM
Oh wow technodoll, that looks amazing! I think I'm going to order a sampler pack and see which ones I like best! Thank you so much, I usually get my popcorn from the healthfood store, which is better than the grocery store variety, but still not anything special.

joeysmama
June 21st, 2006, 09:08 AM
I'm being more conscious of what I eat because it's summer. But I'm at a healthy weight and happy with the way my clothes fit.

I work for Marilu Henner, so I spend a good portion of my day talking about nutrition and a lot of the things Jawert was saying.

Where I used to eat an entire bag of M&M's (1 pounders) in a day, I have a handful occasionally. If I order pizza, I immediately wrap up all but 2 slices, and either fridge em or freeze em so I'm not wasting, but can have my taste if I want it. Also, despite what some diet nuts will tell you, fruit does NOT replace your craving for chocolate, but it's all contingent upon whether you eat that sleeve of Thin Mints (damn you Girl Scouts damn you!!) or just have 3 (which I've found, divy them up into small sammich bags of 3 and stick em in the freezer - great for a fix and so good frozen).

This is such great advice !!

Also, I never ever buy anything that's a size bigger than what I've worn the last 10 years or so. If my clothes get tight I just close my mouth for awhile. If I buy the next size up it will be a slippery slope and then those will get tight too. And I can't afford a fat wardrobe AND a thin one.:rolleyes:

A friend of ours just flew in from Arizona and she told me that the carry on weight was reduced from 70 pounds to 50 and the flight attendant told her it's because the passengers weigh more these days.

I think people should be at a healthy--but a realistic weight. How can we be happy with ourselves when magazines are covered with stick thin 20 year olds ??

It's ironic to me, that, at least here in America, weight is rising but what's considered ideal is that super thin look.

joeysmama
June 21st, 2006, 09:16 AM
Oh I just read that and it sounded as though I don't have to watch. I'm not heavy but if I ate everything I wanted to I would be a pudge in no time.

Why is it that chocolate tastes so much better than lettuce !?!?!?!:crazy:

Beau'sMom
June 21st, 2006, 09:19 AM
I have lost 60 lbs and have kept it off now for over 6 years. It is not a struggle anymore, just a lifestyle for me. :)

I would suggest small changes to your lifestyle that you can maintain for a lifetime. Weight-loss is a tough journey whether you wish to loose 10 lbs or 100 lbs. Take it one day at a time.

Good luck to you!! :thumbs up

Remember: NOTHING tastes as good, as being thin feels !!

stinkytaz
June 21st, 2006, 09:37 AM
I am 4ft9 and 22 which means I will never reach 5 ft!!!!:yuck: :eek: and therfore definatley have to watch what i eat - some weeks i will be super healthy and eat mainly sushi and fruit then there are others where I get Mcdonads brakfast, Subway for lunch and a pizza for dinner, it all depends on how i feel, i am podgy for me at the moment but that wil be rectified when I can afford to buy sushi again - its tough living on your own and being bothered to cook healthy meals after a day at the office, a 2 hour walk, the cleaning, the washing etc, when do you guys find time to cook and eat healthily. The only think I have baked recently were muffins and they definately are not in the heathy category!! Oh well, I wish you all health!

technodoll
June 21st, 2006, 09:40 AM
that looks amazing! I think I'm going to order a sampler pack and see which ones I like best!

puppyluv, i promise you won't regret it - i had NO idea popcorn could have so many textures, sizes and flavors, so yummy you don't want to drown it in seasonings either :)

i suggest you order http://www.popcornlovers.com/Fireworks-Sampler-Pack-P1C1.aspx, that way you'll get to taste them all... then when you have your favorites, you can order the bigger bottles which is more economical. Also, make sure your orders don't exceed $20 CDN total or customs can slap you with a fee (happened to me once,the b*st@rds!)

wow if i were at home right now, i'd have a big bowl of Baby Yellow with a little drizzle of butter and a sprinkling of onion powder & parmesan cheese :D

LianneCatherine
June 21st, 2006, 12:29 PM
Popcorn, huh? I will have to try that. Wait, is that to gain or lose? Most of you are trying to gain (is it bad that I'd like to kill you?:evil: ), so I've lost track.

According to the "rules," I am within the normal weight range for my height. However, I'd like to be more toned and a bit thinner in the lovehandle region. What is the DEAL with lowrise jeans? Like everyone wants to see people's underwear and muffin tops??? :eek:

Doing pretty good so far, lost 1/2 lb! I read yesterday that the "experts" suggest weighing in every day despite the normal pound fluctuations with water weight, because it gives you a good idea of how you're doing and to make sure you don't go too far up. I think it depends on the person and what motivates him/her. I personally am motivated when I see the scale go over 130! So whatever works best!

Good luck to those of you trying to gain or lose--I'd like to see some more people in the "happy the way I am" category!! Wouldn't it be nice to not have to obsess about weight? :confused:

meb999
June 21st, 2006, 12:30 PM
Although I'm not big, I'm pretty much always on a diet of somesort (at least in the past 2 years). Like Prin, I was also anorexic when I was young (when I was 16 I weighed a meer 101 pounds...and I'm pretty tall --5'7''!!), so I have to be carefull not to get carried away.

I'm 128 pounds right now and would LOVE to go down to 120 or 115...

Frenchy
June 21st, 2006, 12:40 PM
meb,you're fine the way you are.Lianne;popcorn with lotttts of butter and salt will make you gain.Popcorn with substitute topping is a good snack with low calories (see technodoll's post)

technodoll
June 21st, 2006, 01:01 PM
yes, airpopped popcorn can be a VERY low-cal & satisfying snack. just need the right corn :D i use an oil pump thingie to spray a light coating of olive oil sometimes, makes any sprinkle of seasonings stick very well. besides the store-bought shakers, i like to use: onion powder, chili powder, cayenne, parmesan or cheddar cheese (the kind for spaghetti!), all low-fat of course. you can boil some sugar & water (don't remember the quantities though, sorry) to make a syrup that you drizzle over the popcorn, let cool, and it's crackling good and zero fat... the sky is the limit, really. just stay away from any pre-made, bagged popcorn and microwave popcorn, which is looooaaded in bad fats and salt :yuck:

LianneCatherine
June 21st, 2006, 01:34 PM
meb,you're fine the way you are.Lianne;popcorn with lotttts of butter and salt will make you gain.Popcorn with substitute topping is a good snack with low calories (see technodoll's post)

Great advice, thanks! Fine the way I am...hmm....probably--but what would I obsess about THEN? ;)

Rick C
June 21st, 2006, 01:59 PM
I'm trying to chuck about five to eight pounds . . . . just got back from an hour run as a matter of fact.

I find this time of year, as I try to shed winter blubber, is tough pyschologically because running and biking does lead to a bit of weight loss initially but then it flattens out for a period as the blubber is replaced by heavier muscle. You don't seem to be getting anywhere.

So, only after you've replaced that blubber with muscle and really start to get into extending your endurance and the time you're out running or on the bike can you finally, finally get rid of those extra waist-expanding five or so pounds that seem to make all the difference.

And that's where I am right now . . . . . more pain to go. I'm getting closer to 50 and its becoming a harder job every year.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Shamrock
June 21st, 2006, 03:13 PM
Kudos to all of you who have lost that weight and kept it off:highfive: . and also to those of you who are actively trying to rid yourslelves of it.

As their was no choice for "lame attempt';) I voted I am trying,..but truthfully not that hard recently. Suprise... no results either.

I was thin my entire life, and even after 3 kids.. gaining was more of an issue.
But like Prin.. after developing a thyroid condition and needing meds, my metabolism changed. Suddenly I couldnt just eat "anything".

Ever since then its been a struggle to take and keep it off. Intensive efforts of diet changes and vigorous exercise have produced results in the past, but as mentioned.. it has to become a lifestyle. That's where most people fail - reaching their goal, gradually abandoning the measures that got them there. The see-saw begins. The skinny clothes, the medium clothes, the fat clothes...I've got em all.:D

Prin
June 21st, 2006, 04:07 PM
But like Prin.. after developing a thyroid condition and needing meds, my metabolism changed. Suddenly I couldnt just eat "anything".
lol the only thing is- I could never just eat anything... I missed that part.:D

LianneCatherine
June 21st, 2006, 04:36 PM
I think I need to move to Canada- land of the "need to gain weights!" I would absolutely LOVE to have that problem, especially in a time of such societal repulsion to normal sized people!

Maybe in the next life... :fingerscr

we3beagles
June 21st, 2006, 09:36 PM
I fit into the trying to lose category. I have lost 80 lbs. in the past 4 years and am trying desperately to lose the last 10. I too was anorexic in my high school days ( I think a lot of girls were), but eventually ballooned up to 240 lbs. without realizing. My best friend and worst enemy is sugar for sure. I will eat it in any form (powdered on a finger if necessary). I think it is not that it is hard to lose the weight, but to realize that for the rest of your life you cannot eat whatever strikes your fancy. To have to replace waffles and whip cream with a bowl of All Bran somehow seems repugnant to me. I know I'm extending my life with my current lifestyle, but I hope I don't get to the end of it and say "damn I wish I had more waffles". NO matter how much I run on the treadmill and lift weights I still don't like it. I feel pretty good when I'm finished, but finding the time is very hard. BTW I think Canadians are heading right down the lard laden path that the Americans have skidded down. Have you seen the size of our youth lately. Girls with love handles hanging over their jeans and out of their "belly" shirts. It won't be long.

Luvmypit
June 22nd, 2006, 11:08 AM
Beau and M3 congrats on the weight loss and Meb you are fine the way you are. I am also 5"7 and 117 lbs. and am often referred to as skinny. I want to gain to your weight Meb and gosh its hard. Heck my moms pet name for me was skinny minny. In highschool I was 99 lbs and 5"7 I used to wear (friends still bring this up, even at my wedding) 2 -3 pairs of tights under my shcool pants, and only wore my kilt 4 times throughout highschool (catholic school).

mummummum
June 22nd, 2006, 11:55 AM
I hover between trying to gain weight (cuz my drawers keep fallin' down!) and living with the way I am. I wish we (women in general) were more concerned about muscle and cardio-fitness than being bone racks with concave tummies. I think that's why I love the Dove billboards - all incredibly beautiful, naturally curvy, HEALTHY looking women. It's great to learn so many of you are concentrating on being "curvy but toned". I've been thinking about going back to carrying arm weights when I walk the pups - gravity is calling and my arms are starting to look like batwings! Getting older is not for the faint of heart or the vain...

meb999
June 22nd, 2006, 12:02 PM
I've been thinking about going back to carrying arm weights when I walk the pups

I do that and it helps a ton! I wear 5 pound weights on each ankle, and five pounds on each wrist. Since I walk Buster 1 hour a day, this has helped alot!
I also look like a psycho when I'm walking the dog, everytime he stops to sniff, I do squats or some other exercise...my neighbors must think I'm nuts!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 22nd, 2006, 12:03 PM
According to the "rules," I am within the normal weight range for my height. However, I'd like to be more toned and a bit thinner in the lovehandle region. What is the DEAL with lowrise jeans? Like everyone wants to see people's underwear and muffin tops???

me to I am within normal weight range pretty much right in the middle but want to tone up. I did a major group power class and my thighs are still hurit from it - except all you skinnies that are like 5.8 and under 130 you making me feel kind of pudgy. I am 140 - 145 and 5.8 and seem to stay there - I got down to 135 when I smoked though. :yuck:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 22nd, 2006, 12:07 PM
Also I am addicted to group step I urge anyone to try it - just google it and you will probably come up with a gym that has it in your area. First time was really hard but now I love it - and the change the routines quite a bit so its also challenging - also the music is really good too. Right now I am in Vancouver visiting my parents and have found a gym that has it here. So I will be going to a class tonight.

There is also group grove - group synergy - and group power

Schwinn
June 22nd, 2006, 01:00 PM
I don't usually diet, because I can drop weight from physical activity. Before I took parental leave, I knew I'd be away from the gym for four months, so I tried to bulk up, muscle wise. I did drop 10-15 lbs, but probably lost a lot more in fat over the past year (skipped very few days since Gracie was born...preparing for the first boyfriend to show up:evil: ). I had hoped I get more biking in so I could thin up, but I didn't get much in before the season started, and my weight has creeped up a bit. I tend to eat when stressed, and I'm feeling stressed about having to go back to work at a place I hate, and I'm back in the process of getting on the police force...ice cream and M&M's, unfortunately, have been my best friend.

Basically, I'm trying to just cut back on the amount of food I eat. I gave up talking to my doctor who told me I was obese because of my weight. He's trying to tell me I'm 60 lbs over weight, and I'm trying to explain that because of my waist size, he's on crack. I suggested that if he wanted me to lose 60lbs, I'd need to be a double amputee.

I'd like to lose about 10-15 lbs. I'm starting to see my bike shorts get lose, so hopefully soon!

I always say, though. Never mind the scale, what do you see in the mirror?

Puppyluv
June 22nd, 2006, 01:08 PM
Remember: NOTHING tastes as good, as being thin feels !!

That's a really unfortunate quote.. It's somewhat of a pro-ana mantra... think of what it implies.

Bearsmom
June 22nd, 2006, 03:11 PM
It's all about balance in diet and EXERCISE.

THROW YOUR G*DDAMN SCALES OUT, THEY MEAN NOTHING!!!!

I lost 73 lbs after eating like crazy during my pregnancy. It's taken a loooong time to get it off, but I did it.

Most depressing thing? I went to my doc last week, got on the scale, she tells me I'm CLINICALLY OBESE. I'm also 6 feet tall and have 9% body fat. Most women run around 20% body fat, but because my weight is high for my height, I'm considered obese. So I told doc lady I'm never getting on her scale again, if my Body fat is so low, blood pressure/sugar is fine, and I'm considered healthy as a horse, she can stick her scale you know where!

Frenchy
June 22nd, 2006, 07:59 PM
Stick the scale where Bearsmom,where the sun don't shine ? :p (my boss gets a laugh everytime I say it) But you are right,woman should limit the time they spend on a scale,really,some girls I work with are ALWAYS on a diet and I think they are just fine.

glasslass
June 22nd, 2006, 08:20 PM
None of the options fit me. How about "I NEED to lose some weight but I'm having a hard time getting motivated!" Where does that fit? Actually, up until 49 (menopause), weight was never a problem for me. Then, my body just changed seemingly overnight. It's hard to realize that the eating habits of almost 50 years don't work for me anymore.