Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

irresponsable pit owners

wdawson
June 20th, 2006, 05:14 PM
seems that some irresponsable owner strikes again.

just saw the story on the news , seems three unmuzzled pits are running loose in hamilton and may have attacked a man. schools in the area locked down , police with shotguns.....this is just what responsable law abiding pit owners need. more hype in the media , i wonder if there would be this much hype had it been a couple jacks and a golden ?

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
June 20th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I just saw this on the news. They showed one of the dogs and it looked like a run of the mill Lab mix to me; some people really can't identify their breeds. The police sure didn't call a lockdown when there was a vicious cat that attacked an older person by one of the schools in my area. :rolleyes:

babyrocky1
June 20th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Did they attack someone?

Faceless
June 21st, 2006, 11:27 AM
http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=hamilton/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1150840214598&call_pageid=1020420665036&col=1014656511815
Gun-toting cops search for dogs who bit man
By Daniel Nolan
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jun 21, 2006)

Gun-toting police officers went on safari after two men were swarmed in west Hamilton by two dogs believed to be pit bulls.

"They looked like they weren't taking any chances," said a Chatham Avenue resident, who was bitten on the foot by one of the dogs yesterday at about 2:30 p.m.

"They had the animal control people here," the 50-year-old man said, who did not want to be identified. "They were looking in everyone's back yard ... They had two cops out and each had shotguns. They had lots of firepower."

About a dozen officers took part in the hunt for the dogs, said Constable Ed Penner. Three officers were equipped with shotguns, he said.

The hunt in the Chatham Avenue-Dundurn Street area was called off at about 4 p.m. after the dogs could not be found, but not before police alerted three elementary schools of the potential threat to students.

Acting Staff Sergeant Debbie Wilkie said last night police are going to appeal to Neighbourhood Watch groups to help identify the dogs. One dog is tan and the second is dark brown-black.

The man bitten on the foot was not injured because he was working around the house and wearing steel-toed boots. He shudders to think what might have happened if he'd been wearing regular shoes.

The man said he was retrieving paint from the trunk of his car when the dogs "came out of nowhere and swarmed me ... They nipped at the toe of my boot. They scared the hell out of me."

The man said he stood still until the dogs calmed down and then he backed slowly toward his front door. The dogs eventually lost interest and left.

"It was my instinct to run, but I don't know what possessed me to face them," the man said.

He called police and, before officers arrived, he saw the dogs harassing a man walking down the street.

"They didn't appear to bite him, but they circled around him. They barked at his feet. By the time he got 50 feet down the road, they ignored him and went back to lay on the lawn."

Wilkie said the owner could face trouble under new provincial legislation that requires pit bulls to be muzzled in public. The dogs could be impounded.

Penner was frustrated that during the search, residents kept coming out of their homes to see what was going on, despite appeals by officers to remain inside for their own safety. "They want to stand on the sidewalk like it's a TV show. It would be nice to get the message out that if police say, 'Go in your home, it's not safe,' it would be a good idea if people listened."

dnolan@thespec.com

905-526-3351

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
June 21st, 2006, 07:21 PM
It was irresponsible to have the dogs running loose, but herding behavior (which is what it sounded like the dogs were showing) hardly sounds like a mauling. Slow news day or what? There was a woman who's stomach was ripped open by a coonhound and that was never mentioned, my friend's Shih Tzu was attacked by the Lab down the street, I was threatened by numerous dogs while out walking mine, none of these incidences were put on Global and nor were there any police offers going "on safari." If they go after dogs for nipping people's feet, why can't they "go on safari" (including lockdowns on schools) after protesters in Caledonia who actually did hurt people? UGH!

One dog is tan and the second is dark brown-black.
Ye gods, a million dogs fit that description. My Scottie is dark brown/black (seal), does that mean he's a pit bull, too?

wdawson
June 21st, 2006, 08:46 PM
it's always a slow news day.......till there might be the chance that a dog story involves an alleged pitbull.......then its EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT........funny how the media reports only what they want us to know or should i say believe.:evil:

LM1313
June 22nd, 2006, 12:06 AM
That's IT? The dogs bit the guy, lost interest, and went away and they sent in the S.W.A.T. team? CRAZY!

Schwinn
June 22nd, 2006, 11:18 AM
That's nothing. What about the poor guy who got a barking at probably a lot worse than another dog that isn't inherantly dangerous?

LM1313
June 22nd, 2006, 11:35 AM
I heard that pit bulls barks are super sonic and can break your eardrums!!!1

Luvmypit
June 22nd, 2006, 12:46 PM
OH MY....lol I cannot believe the big deal that was made.

I cannot even comment on this is seems so ludicris. And people don't read these stories and wonder?

The author went out of his way to make it sound as scary as possible but the facts are clear a couple dogs nipped a toe and barked at someone.... WOW I mean forget the drug dealers and rapists we have some toe biters we need to deal with call in the army,.....