Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Indoor cat throwing up for 3 days- no shots

leslieash
June 20th, 2006, 11:38 AM
My cat has been throwing up for about three days (consecutively) before this, for about a week, it was every second day. At first was just food (a normal every once in a while occurance), now it is bile. Yesterday he threw up about 4-5 times. Today we found him sleeping under the couch which is very uncommon for him and he is very slow and sluggish. He has always been an indoor cat but a week and a half ago he got out and there are a lot of cats around our new place. The day that he started throwing up bile (3 days ago) was when my fiancee fed him a few chunks of canned tuna ... my cat has never eaten anything but his dried cat food and doesn't ever seem to have the interest.

He doesn't have any shots and I am 7 mos pregnant so that is also a worry.
We don't have much funds right now for vet bills so I'm wondering if it is normal for a cat to get sick and get over it or should I be taking him to the vet? Could he just be sick from the Tuna?
Thank you

badger
June 20th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Absolutely take him to the vet - he is probably in pain, cats are such stoics.
There are a few possibilities, maybe even a blockage from something he ate. Ask lots of questions, don't let the vet send you away with antibiotics without giving you some idea of what he thinks it is. A blood test would be a good idea, if you can afford it.
Oh, and he should have at least his baseline vaccs, and be neutered.
You want to get this fixed before the baby comes, when your attention will be elsewhere!

Prin
June 20th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Absolutely take him to the vet. But wait until he isn't sick before vaccinating him. Hopefully he doesn't have something already.:sad:

leslieash
June 20th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Yeah we both believe that...

We were just wanting to confirm as we barely have cash to live on at the moment.

And he is Neutered

Is there anyway it could be the Tuna?

Prin
June 20th, 2006, 12:32 PM
I doubt it. Either way, it's not something that is going away. He's just not getting better alone.

Ford
June 20th, 2006, 02:10 PM
This is a serious medical issue. Your cat is continuing to get more ill, and it is not something that can be diagnosed over the internet. Please, take your cat to a vet ASAP as it may be life-threatening, and also please update us.