Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nicky is at Day Care!

Mahealani770
June 20th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Hello all,
I have taken Nicky, my 5 year old rescue Pomeranian, to doggy day care today to be socialized and to test his temperament. I have found a wonderful Pet Care facility that has web cams in the play room, grooming area and lobby so that you can watch your dog while he's playing! Isn't that cool? I was very worried about Nicky interracting with other dogs as he does not seem to be socialized but within one hour, he is mixing with all of the dogs! I am pasting the link, in case anybody wants to see him! He is inside a fence, until he is ready to walk outside of it and mingle in the common area. He is the only blonde Pomeranian in day care today so spotting him won't be hard. I'm such a proud mama! lol
http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/webcam/dul/1.jpg
Just copy and paste this link into your browser. The web cam is not in real time so you have to keep clicking out of it and coming back in.
Also, we have finally given Nicky the run of the kitchen and he's doing great. He has not marked anywhere in the week that he's had this new found freedom. Actually, he stays in his crate even though he has the whole kitchen to run around in. I guess he feels safe in there, so that's fine. Anyway, just wanted to share! Thanks!
Mahealani

jessi76
June 20th, 2006, 10:04 AM
I've seen one of those facilities before, there's one about 45 min from where I live (they're a national company). It looks nice. Let me know how you like them.

is today Nicky's first day? Let us know how he does! I love the good updates on Nicky. and I'm VERY glad to hear he's doing well w/ his new freedom at home AND is liking his crate - you're doing a great job w/ him!

Mahealani770
June 20th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Aww..thanks for the support Jessi. Yes, today is Nicky's first day at Day Care and socialization. If you click on the link above, you can see him sitting inside the fence, right beside the open door. He hasn't been brave enough to walk through the door, but it's open and ready for him when he is. I was a little worried about him huddling beside the fence and not being social so I called the day care and spoke to the woman who is looking after him. She said that he is fine and is checking things out and will come out when he's ready, so I feel a little better. I'm such a Mother hen! lol
Anyway, thanks for the positive feedback and I will continue to give you all updates.
I was actually motivated to put Nicky through this temperament /socialization testing because I came across a 2 year old shih tzu on pet finder who is a "special needs" baby and I'm seriouly considering adopting her and I want Nicky to behave around her if I do. She was turned over to her owner's vet clinic because she has neurological damage which causes her to sort of drag her hind legs. Her foster mom says she keeps up just fine with the rest of her foster brothers and sisters and is a little firecracker! She also has a bladder control problem where she pees a little bit when she's excited and they said that she can't help that. I always thought that a dog could be trained to stop doing that but I guess not for this little one. Anyway, my heart just breaks for her because nobody wants her and she's been in foster care for months. And ever since I've been on this board, reading about all of you who work in shelters and who foster animals, I've had this overwhelming need to help out the "unwanted pet" population. You all have inspired me to try to do something for a furbaby who needs a forever home.
Anyway, I'm thinking long and hard about this decision because I don't want Nicky to regress in his training, I don't want "Pickles", the shih-tzu to be uncomfortable in anyway in our home, and I want to make sure that she would fit into our living situation perfectly before I get her hopes up and ours. So, we'll see. I just may be asking for help with "Pickles" before too long..lol Have a good one!
Mahealani

Mahealani770
June 20th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Well, it is after lunch time (1:00 est)and the doggy day care people have taken away the fence that Nicky was finding comfort in. He is now out and playing with the other dogs. So if you're wondering what fence I'm talking about in my first post, you'll know that they have taken it away.
I am so proud of him, and I can't wait to go scoop him up and give him lots of love at the end of the day. I wish his other Mommy could see him right now, running and playing with the other "kids" lol. All of my co-workers are stopping by my office to get a look at him and to hear the updates on his first day of day care..lol..it's so cute.
I think they have taken him off to feed him because I no longer see him in the play room so if you're interested in seeing Nicky, click on the link in my first post and look for the little red headed pomeranian throughout the day!

Mahealani