Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Getting kittens to like collars...

dtbmnec
June 20th, 2006, 06:54 AM
I have never seen so many different kinds of collars in my life! Wowzers!

Anyway, I got two of those Safety Cat collars, the ones that are supposed to break away if they get caught and so far the boys seem ok with them.

I was just wondering how you would go about getting your kitten to LIKE the collar (beyond the putting it on him, no duh! lol). I mean I googled kittens and collars and getting used to them and everything else I could think of but nothing came up with HOW to get the cat used to it, they all say "get your kitten used to the collar." How very helpful! I'd also read somewhere that you weren't supposed to collar a kitten under 6 months old (my boys are no where near that).

Right now I'm trying to leave the collars on for most of the day (removing them of course when I'm out and the Boyfriend is too) and I took the damn bells off too (*I* couldn't stand the dingle dingle thud all night). So far they seem ok and I'm thinking that even when they get older to take the collars off at night. My logic being that A) I'm sleeping here and the door is locked so exactly how are they getting out? B) I'm also three storeys up so if they survive that fall AND still run away I"m gonna be amazed and C) I have a small A/C so the windows are all closed anyway.

Am I doing this right?

Megan

P.S. So far only Leo's gone "Rambo" with his collar once (which is much less than Prince did) and by Rambo I mean he slipped a paw through the collar. Pawz has just sort of looked at me with a "why do you torture me so?" expression.

doggirl
June 20th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Can't help much because I'm not a fan of collars on cats, and I don't think the world is safe enough anymore for outdoor cats. I'd take off the collars and keep them inside. :)

dtbmnec
June 20th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Can't help much because I'm not a fan of collars on cats, and I don't think the world is safe enough anymore for outdoor cats. I'd take off the collars and keep them inside. :)

I am going to keep them inside. This is for if they somehow manage to get out!

Right now the "outside world" is all but inaccessible to them, however I am on the 3rd storey of a building and if they somehow managed to sneak past me when I have the door open (we've had a few close calls already) I just want to make sure that if someone in the building picks them up they can call us and get them back to us.

We have this place for at least a year but I don't know what the future brings. I mean hopefully in the next 15 years I'm gonna have a house! Yes they will continue to stay indoors but there are always accidents. In fact Arron (boyfriend)'s family has an indoor cat and he's managed to get out on quite a few occassions because their dog takes so long to get IN! Thankfully Fuzz doesn't go that far or near the highway but its still a pain for them to get him to come back!

Megan