Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boarding kennels

erykah1310
June 19th, 2006, 03:38 PM
With my new job, i am going to have to be out of town for a week every once and a while.
This weekend I have interviews and visual inspections at a couple dozen boarding facilities for hte dogs. ( the cats will be going to my cousins and the rabbits to another cousin)
I was just wondering what i should look for, good and bad! Im really quite new to this.
How can i make the adjustment for the dogs easier?? I am bringing them with me on the weekend too, for meet and greets.
Also if anyone in the sudbury area could recommend a good facility that i may not have on my list could you PM me? thanks

SarahLynn123
June 19th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Couple things I look for:
1) are the other dogs in there happy & content or fearful & sad. A couple dogs maybe a little scared in a new situation but certainly not all!

2) Are the pails of water securly hitched so they cant flip it over and be left with no water?

3) Do they have there own dog run with indoor and outdoor access at all times during the day? Can they be locked in at night?

4) Do they have an emergency escape plan if a fire was to occur?

5) If an injury was to happen, what would their actions be? (ie, pay for the vet then bill you etc.)

6) How much exercise will they get?

7) How often are they fed and are they willing to adjust to fit your dogs schedule?

Thats all I can think of for now, I also like it when they say to drop by anytime for a tour. I feel better knowing they are definatly not hiding anything!

Prin
June 20th, 2006, 01:23 AM
What kind of bedding do they have? Will your dog be sleeping on cold tiles all week?

How do the fences look? Are they mangled? (IMO, more mangled = more time unsupervised, but that's just my opinion).

If they have a general play area and you go see it, how is the tour guide with the dogs? Is s/he comfortable with a lot of dogs? Is anybody afraid of him/her?

How is the smell? If it's too smelly, not enough maintenance. If it smells like cleaners, they probably cleaned it right before you got there.:rolleyes:

If you notice anything that sets off some instinct in you, trust it.:)

phoenix
June 20th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Erykah, with all of your animals, would it be possible to find a high school student or college/u student to live at your house when you're gone? That way your dogs would be much more comfortable and you wouldn't have to move the cats/rabbits etc.
I used to farm sit when I was younger, it was way cheaper for the owners, better for the animals, and I was happy with the money I could make while still having time to go to classes and do my homework etc. You just have to make sure to find a really responsible person though.

stinkytaz
June 20th, 2006, 07:08 AM
That is such a good idea - and a lot less disruptive for the animals, and yourself - it will be a big job transporting all the animals etc!! Is there anyone in your family who could sit for you - cousins etc, if not ask around im sure you could find someone willing to look after your babies whilst you are away!

erykah1310
June 20th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I have thought about the whole farm sitting thing, but im concerned about Meiko, as i have said before, i had messed him up when bringing him up and he is a bit aggressive with young adults, he is coming a long way but he is REALLY picky on who can go near him with food and who can handle him, he hasnt bitten anyone but I STRONGLY feel that he could. That makes me nervous, I would rather find someone who has experience with dogs like him. As far as highschoolers not really.
But am still kinda thinking of leaving my one cousin who is going to take the cats my truck while im gone ( cause i can carpool) and pay him then to come here every day a few times a day and play with them and cuddle with them. Atleast they will be more comfortable.

Oh and im kinda jumping all over here ( prolly cause i only slept 3.5 hours last nite:( ) I wouldnt feel right about leaving Kita here either and sending Meiko off alone to some strange place. I would rather keep them together ( theyre REALLY tight if ya know what i mean, best of buds EVER)

Lise
June 25th, 2006, 07:25 AM
A boarding kennel should no be a bad experience for a dog.A good kennel will do whatever it takes to keep your dog safe and happy.Ask lots of questions,take a copy of the boarding agreement so you have time to read it carefully,ask about vacc requirements,feeding,grooming,walks/playtime.Visit different kennels,either make an appointment or visit during normal hours.Ask your vet what kennel they use.Also this time of year most good kennel busy,so you should book somewhere soon.

erykah1310
June 25th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Well I found 2 that i like. Now to make the decision, I explained my situation with being called out of town with little notice and they both said that I could reserve a guaranteed spot there. One of the Kennels will let Meik and Kita be together in the same pen. That kennel is HUGE for them. The buckets were secured, there is a vet on call for them, with payment arrangements ( need a copy of my pay stub however) They also have a GINORMOUS fenced in bush like area with a huge field where my dogs will get to spend some time walking and playing with the staff. The price there is a bit steep but that doesnt matter if i am sure my dogs will be happy!

ON the flip side however I have also found a nice lady in her mid 30's ( recommended by the previous kennel) who would come live in my house while im gone, and take care of them here. She is coming by today to see how the dogs will be with her.! The fee is actually minimal, she takes care of the pets basically in exchange for a place to live. She lives with her sister as it is now. She was a former employee at the kennel and can not have pets living with her sister because of allergies. She still obviously asks for a small fee. When we are home she will be here still. ( monday - friday) regarless. On weekends she goes to her sisters.
I think this is a much MUCH better alternative for my babies! I'll let you all know how it went today !! Thank you all so much for your suggestions.