Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

really need help/advice!!

kashtin's kin
June 19th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I live in a pocket of southwestern Ontario that has no close rescue group, and the Humane Society and SPCA have told me that re: feral cat/kitten situation I'm on my own.

Right now, the only thing I can think of is to buy (no loans available) a live trap and try to capture this mom and 3 kittens that are living in an outbuilding just off my tiny farm.

Over the years I've adopted one feral cat and added her to my indoor cat team, and fed a few others who have been passing through. I'm especially concerned this time as the cat is an unspayed female AND has kittens (I'm close to a highway, and a badger-known to eat cats-has a den nearby).

I am really desperate for any sort of comments/advice etc. that any more experience critter people may have, as I have not live trapped before. I'm hoping that if I can catch?/socialize/vet care these cats, I might be able to adopt them out carefully so they might live longer lives.

Thanks in advance for any help :fingerscr .

erykah1310
June 19th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Trapping is relatively easy, just be sure to check the trap regularly, if the kittens are young enough be sure that you know exactly where they are first, before trapping the mother. She may move them too, so be careful there as well. You dont want to spook her too much.
Once you have managed to trap her bring her into a room of her own in your house with her babies.
Take them into the vet as soon as they settle in a bit. I recently found 2 little kittens in my shed as well, had to bottle feed them, tried to find them a home but decided that since they couldnt go together they are going to live forever with me and my other cats.
Hope you can catch them, thanks for helping them out

chico2
June 19th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Erykah gave you some good advice,I think it depends on how feral the mom is,maybe she is a lost cat,who once belonged to someone.:confused:
I would trap the mom first,but first make sure I know where the kittens are.
If you have an extra room to keep them,it would be great.
I have no experience with feral cats,other than feeding a Tom for a couple of years,other people here do.
Also,thanks for caring,many people would not:thumbs up
Please come back and let us know how you make out..

LianneCatherine
June 20th, 2006, 03:04 PM
That's very sweet of you to take on a kitty-catching mission! I hope you catch them! The kittens should be pretty easy, depending on how big they are. I found a litter of 3 in a bush at my University a few years back. I scooped them up into my bookbag and got them a home within a few days. I never caught the mommy, but I was more concerned about the kittens being in danger. Feral mommies usually know how to fend for themselves.

I think you should try and get the kittens first, just for the sake of time. The mom will be out and about hunting for food, so she will probably leave them for much of the day. You can then worry about catching her later, and use the tactics the others have suggested. It might take some time-kitties (especially feral) are very smart.

Good luck!! Mommy and kittens will be grateful in the long run! :pawprint:

PS. You might even consider using the kittens as the "bait" if food doesn't work. Just be careful that she doesn't carry them off again! :)

doggirl
June 20th, 2006, 06:00 PM
There are rescues not too far from you, but rescues who help cats are, as a rule, always wayyyyyyy overwhelmed.

If you are able to meet them halfway (eg, by fostering the cats), they will be much more likely to help.

There are 2 or 3 cat rescues in KW, and Barlee's Angels in the same area. There is also Cats Anonymous in Marsville.