Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog is killing my cats

wheelerem
June 19th, 2006, 02:05 PM
I have taken on my daughters dog who is a five year old rottweiller. she is a great dog with people and the kids, but she is killing my cats. Since her birth, she has with the help of another dog, who is now gone killed two kittens, two cats and crippled one of my cats, and just yesterday killed the cat she crippled. We have made every attempt to provent this, by putting up 6 ft fences and made it inpossible for the cats to get near the dog and vis-versa. Unfortunatly we have to move her out and in of the fenced yard. She ran away when my husband brought her out there, into the woods he was called away for awhile and within 5 min. she killed one of my 8 cats. I need to find a solution or he wants her gone. We cannot see her killing another one.

Inverness
June 19th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I gather your cats go outside ?

Have you tried a muzzle for your dog when she goes out ?

doggirl
June 19th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Don't let the dog outside offlead. You can't change the dog's drive, especially after this many accidents. In other words if she gets the chance again, count on her taking it. The only solution I see to this is management - do whatever you need to do to protect the cats from the dog and keeping her away from them. You can work on your overall obedience/leadership, so that she will LISTEN to you when you call her off, or give her a recall, "out" command, leave it etc, but I would NOT count on that no matter how much work you do, she's engaged in the behavior too many times. Try not to resent the dog, as terrible as it is to us, this is normal behavior to her and she is not 'evil' or malevolent, just drivey.

I feel for the cat that endured an attack by this dog and was crippled, then was attacked and killed - how tragic.

LM1313
June 19th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Yikes! Poor cats! You need to keep the dog separate from the cats at all times. NEVER allow the dog off-leash outside if even one cat is outside. Always keep a solid door between the cats and the dog inside the house, unless you have the dog restrained in some way (like a leash) so that you can correct her if she tries to chase the cats. A muzzle is also a good idea. But I wouldn't leave the dog unsupervised with the cats, even with the muzzle on.

Also, you mentioned kittens. Please fix your cats ASAP if they aren't spayed/neutered. Not only is there too much animal overpopulation already, but kittens are not as well equipped for defending themselves.

I'm hoping this is a temporary situation with your daughter's dog? Is she taking her back soon?

~LM~

jesse's mommy
June 19th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I'm all for rescuing animals and helping family members out, but this dog needs to be in a home that has NO CATS! You need to find another place for this dog to stay before more cats lose their lives and possibly the dog also. What happens if the dog comes across a neighbors cat or even a small child or something of that nature? That dog will be hauled off.

chico2
June 19th, 2006, 05:11 PM
WOW,that's horrible,there is no way in the world I would keep a dog in my house,after he killed even one of my cats.:sad:
Give the dog back to your daughter,she is the one responsible for him,under no circumstances would I keep this dog.
I know it's probably not his fault,but try telling that to the mauled cats:sad:

doggirl
June 19th, 2006, 05:24 PM
TRYING to be careful how I say this, but you can't blame the dog...maybe for the first accident, but after that she should've been kept away from cats. Sorry to the OP to be blunt but they are not managing well, this dog has killed not once or twice but 5 cats, one who first endured an attack that maimed him, so this is 6 serious 'accidents' at least. I can't imagine the terror of this cat, after being crippled by a cat-killing dog, to have to undergo a second attack and die this way. Not all dogs are good with cats, some dogs have too high a prey drive to be around cats. Not only are the cats being failed but the dog is too b/c who are we kidding, that this dog will be alive in a year, or even 6 months. Only if the OP has a serious introspection and takes responsibility for making SURE this dog does not hurt another animal ever again, no matter what it takes.

(nb I have had dogs in my home who will eat cats and have lived this, so am not talking about something I know nothing about. I had a cat-killing dog in my home for a summer, with my own cats and some foster cats too. It was my responsibility to NEVER let him have access to the cats. I lived in a 1-bdrm apt without a fenced yard at the time. It can be done.)

PS I hope the OP considers spaying/neutering and bringing these cats indoors. Obviously the outdoor life isn't exactly working for them.

Shamrock
June 19th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Oh, those poor cats This is shocking and sad beyond words..:sad:

As noted,.. the dog's prey drive will not change. If she's been doing this for the last five years, it will certainly continue.

Intense and foolproof preventative measures are only way to avert more tragic maimings/deaths.

If the dog is secure while in the fenced area, then keeping him leashed at ALL other times, including taking him back and forth to this spot is absolutely mandatory. I'd use a muzzle as suggested at ANY time there is a risk of him becoming loose and endangering the cats.

I too sincerely hope your daughter is taking the dog back soon, that this is temporary only.
The risk factor is always going to be present. One slip-up.. more cats will die.:sad:

Rottielover
June 19th, 2006, 07:16 PM
OK. Problem is that most dogs will kill a cat by breaking its neck first then bite it. A muzzle can not prevent that. Keep this dog leashed at all times...Seems to have a very high chase/prey drive.....Personally before thinking of muzzling the dog, work with the dog. There are many things you can do with a rottie high in drive....Believe me I know...I have one....

heidiho
June 19th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Ok, Bizarre........you Sure Do Have Alot Of Cats..odd Post

Puppyluv
June 19th, 2006, 07:40 PM
doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo :troll:

Frenchy
June 19th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Sounds like it to me too.If this is true,why still keep the dog???:confused:

OntarioGreys
June 19th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I have 3 dogs(1 eskie and 2 greyhounds) that will attempt to capture and kill small furries outdoor, yet they live with 2 cats, most dogs can be taught to co-exost with cats indoors but that rules goes out the window when allowed to be outdoors together, my cats are strictly indoor cats partly for that reason. Water spritzing from a spray bottle was used to teach the dogs not to chase the cat during the introductions and the cats were spritzing to teach them not to try rushing out the back door that leads to the yard inorder to keep them safe and becoming a dogs dinner

My mom's shih tzu also attempted to chase and catch cats, and squirrels when out in the yard but when visiting here she had no interest in going after my cats, she was more curious as to what are they

Size and breed don't matter the matter, most dogs have retained the natural instinct to hunt and most view the outdoors as their hunting grounds, and if they spot and animal running it kicks in their natural instinct to chase it down. For this reason most greyhound adoptions agencies will not adopt a greyhound out to cat owners who have outdoor cats even when the greyhound is deemed cat safe or cat tolerant. There are some greyhounds that can never live safely with cats and a few people do have both but their cats live in one area of the house and dogs in the other, some have even built in a double entry way between one area and the other to prevent the risk of a cat escaping into the other area of the house than has the dogs or vice versa.

phoenix
June 19th, 2006, 09:54 PM
When I was 16 I adopted a dog from the HS and brought her home, and she killed my sister's kitten within minutes. I had to bring her back to the HS. I still feel badly for that dog, but I really don't think you can change this behaviour. You have to keep them separate or rehome the dog or the cats.

wheelerem
June 20th, 2006, 06:37 AM
I want to thank you all for your replyies and for any suggestions you have given, we have taken every precaution to protect these cats as best we thought we were doing, we must now rethink this, and try to better protect them. We are trying to find a no kill shelter for her here in New York, I hate to do it, but the alternative would be worse. She is a good dog and with someone without cats she would be fine. I have 4 other dogs that live in the main part of the house, two which are Rotties and that is where all the rest of the 7 cats live, no problems there!! And to the person who suggested spaying my cats, sorry but they all get spayed at 6 months, cats dogs, mutts, pedigrees. I am an avid believer in not having them reproduce. Most of our animals are strays that people drop off along the road, or unwanted animals no one wanted.

OntarioGreys
June 20th, 2006, 08:05 AM
When I was 16 I adopted a dog from the HS and brought her home, and she killed my sister's kitten within minutes. I had to bring her back to the HS. I still feel badly for that dog, but I really don't think you can change this behaviour. You have to keep them separate or rehome the dog or the cats.

I am very sorry for your loss,

We cannot throw 2 species together and simply expect them to get along, slow introductions have to be done, and training so that they learn they are part of each others pack. I had 3 dogs who had never been around cats, other to see some briefly at the vets, when I adopted my kitten Tipper, I brought the cat inside in a carrier and allowed the dogs to sniff, Sunny in particular was extremely interested in my "new groceries" I then let the dogs out in the yard, so I could then transfer the kitty into a large crate in another room and put the carrier on the floor in the livingroom, then let the dogs back inside, Sunny spent a good hour snmorting around with his head in the carrier and pawing at while he drooled away at the lovely smells, his reaction told me I would have to go slow and very carefully with the introduction. If I had just put Tipper out on the floor when I brought him home he would have been one of the dogs dinner. I later moved the crate with kitten to the livingroom where the dogs could see the kitten and training of the dogs started, the kitten was not out with the dogs untill the novelty wore off for the dogs, once they lost interest with the kitty inside the crate the new traing start with the kitty outside the crate, and those first sessions were very brief and extremely well supervised muzzles and lots of correction were needed.

This pic was 2 weeks later of Sunny and Tipper, muzzle was still left on as he was still in the training stages, because when Tipper darted Sunny still had a hard time resisting the urge to chase. It was a full month before I was comfortable enought to put away the muzzle and spray bottle
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/mleg2001/3b4123444d5122b75e4ba320640e90fa.jpg It has been 3 years since arrived not a hair has been displaced and he helped with cat testing my fosters, each of the foster dog had to go thru training as well, but of all the dogs Sunny was the worse and once he steps outside, he is automatically in hunt mode, at 85lbs I have to be aware of changes in his body language on leash so as to know when he has spotted a small animal, so I can keep him under control otherwise he would yanked right off me feet.
On the racetracks, greyhounds can be so intent on trying to catch the artificial ure that some have fallen, broken a leg and have gottenright back up and finished their race on 3 legs, Sunny was one of those greyhounds, in the picture above you can see the break in his hind leg below the hock.

dtbmnec
June 20th, 2006, 08:16 AM
The boyfriend's parents found one of their barn cat's kittens abandoned (it was left on the porch for two nights without the mother showing great interest) at an extremely young age (probably wasn't weaned at all either) and so they took her (though they originally thought it was a him) in. They also have a black lab/collie dog and a really fuzzy cat. I'm not sure how Daisy (or Killer as the father refers to it....don't know why but hey if it works!) was introduced to the dog but Daisy and they're fuzzy cat, FuzzMan, play together (Daisy loves Fuzz's tail!) and their dog, Ollie, has decided to play mother. She's actually licked the poor kitten so much that the kitten is really wet! The kitten's figure out how to run away but if its out of sight of Ollie too long Ollie starts whining. *shakes head* go figure.

They actually get along better than I thought they would since Ollie is really really hyper and still needs some training work. I thought for sure Ollie was gonna step on poor Daisy but so far its been Fuzz who's had the most accidents (he decided to play with Daisy and held her down with a paw and was not being gentle having been used to kittens his own size! Arron's sister realised what was happening and resuced Daisy and both are fine. Fuzz was really just trying to play and has figured out that he needs to be more gentle).

I adopted Pawz a few weeks after getting Leo. I stuck them both in the same place and played with them both. I realise now that I should have probably gotten poor Pawz used to the house first, and maybe let the poor bugger sleep before introducing him to Leo, but they're quite good friends now. :) It's a toss up on who likes to play more, but Leo is quite the sore loser and Pawz can give him what he deserves more often than not! Leo is of course the instigator of anything such as playing with the shower curtain, playing in the bathtub (they love it in there wet or not, its rather strange), jumping on the table (the demons), rampaging through the house like a herd of elephants, the list goes on!

Megan

kaytris
June 20th, 2006, 08:49 AM
I would recommend contacting rottie rescue - a breed specific rescue has volunteers with a lot of breed experience, and can work on retraining your dog. (Although with her history, they MAY not be able to take her.)

doggy lover
June 20th, 2006, 09:35 AM
I have always taught my dogs the "leave it" command and that goes for furry littler animals too. Tucker likes to chase my cats, but never do they go in the mouth, when I know that he is in the mood to chase one I give him the command and nothing happens. He give me a look like ah mum you ruined my fun, but I'm scared he might jump on them and hurt them. I would never keep a dog around cats that has already killed one unless muzzled and retrained not to touch them.

doggirl
June 20th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Good to hear from the OP, I don't really understand your situation as I thought you'd said the dog was outdoors and your husband was called away and that's when she killed the cat. Glad that you are conscientious about spay/neuter.

When we have any dog, we need to understand the natural drives and behaviors and be vigilant in making sure our dogs don't have opportunities to hurt other people or animals. When we have an extra-drivey or in any other way sketchy dog, we need to be FIVE TIMES as vigilant. I realize this is difficult and nobody is perfect, and very responsible people can have accidents or make mistakes. But we have to double, triple, quadruple check locks, doors, etc. Not leave them alone for 10 seconds, much less when you get called away. Use two leashes/collars if there is any chance they can get away, forget one. This dog showed you early on that she will kill cats if you give her the chance. If she didn't have chances she wouldn't keep doing it. I don't mean to add to your burden because it's obvious that you care, and from the wording of your posts I get the impression that maybe you're between a rock and a hard place with hubby? Either way, I'm afraid that this dog will not have a great chance of being accepted into rescue (and if a rescue will easily take her, you need to do some serious checking out of that rescue). I don't think this dog will survive if you choose not to keep her. Maybe husband needs a wake-up call, you cannot get called away when a very drivey Rottweiler that will kill cats given the chance, is loose. The dog is not to blame here - the drive is natural and out of her control. It's our responsibility as their owners to know our dogs and manage them.

Good luck, your heart is there, if you can manage to adopt a more vigilant lifestyle, I am sure you will be able to keep everyone alive and well, please check in - I'd like to hear how things go.

phoenix
June 20th, 2006, 11:57 AM
I am very sorry for your loss,

We cannot throw 2 species together and simply expect them to get along, slow introductions have to be done, and training so that they learn they are part of each others pack. .

OG, that was 16 years ago! But thanks,

I know better now.

LM1313
June 20th, 2006, 12:56 PM
I'm glad to hear the kitties are all spayed and neutered; I just got worried due to the number of cats you have and the fact that some were kittens (not that there's anything wrong with having lots of cats!) :)

Anyway . . . does your daughter live at home? If not, can she take the dog back?