Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Summer Fashion...

poodletalk
June 19th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Today on my lunch hour, I went shopping, I went inside a high end store, they had a cute summer skirt marked down from 210 to 75$

It's really cute, it's turquoise with sequins, flowly its a really nice summer skirt that I can wear to the office or out. One left, my size so I try it on.

When I try it on, I was disappointed because I thought the zipper on the side was broken. I look closer, to see there was no zipper! The skirt stays open on the side and it gets tied on the waste. (It's open about 5-9 inches) so your underwear shows. I automatically think it's a defect, that's why it's on sale.

The lady who works at the store says, do you like the skirt? Which I do,but it's too bad there's a defect on the side. She says it's no defect, the skirt is suppose to stay open.

I asked her how, do people wear it when it's open so much and your underwear shows? She says, "it's the fashion! You buy yourself a pair of lacy undies and let the lace show!!!"

Maybe it's just me, I would NEVER do that in a million years! I could NEVER EVER wear that skirt that way to the office. Is there any office in Montreal that would let their employee wear a skirt that way?

I was/am tempted to buy the skirt, and sewing the seam closed.

jawert1
June 19th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I would buy it and sew it, for the price especially and doubly so because you liked it. Much to my chagrin, my mother's rants of late (she's a university professor) regarding the dresscode (or lack) of her students has really caused me to open my eyes when I'm at the mall and see what people are actually wearing. In her opinion, underwear is just that, and the more I see girls around the same ages as my nieces (14 and 16) dressing with their thongs hanging out, I'm getting panicky (I'm only 28 myself) that perhaps the news these days about all of the predators out there isn't scaring them into some sense of decency. I'm not a prudish person by any means, but the accepted lack of modesty is somewhat terrifying to me, all in the name of fashion.

Writing4Fun
June 19th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Absolutely, buy the skirt and install a zipper yourself.

Oh, I am soooo getting old! I saw a girl walking down the street the other day, her bright fuscia hair looking all scraggly, like it hasn't been washed in a few weeks. Her black demin dress was clinging to her body so tightly I thought the seams were being held together by will power alone. The hemline was about half an inch or so below her crotch. Is no one telling these girls that the clothes they see on MTV are actually 'costumes' meant for stage and screen only, and no one in their right mind (including the singers/actresses they see sporting the get-ups in the first place) would actually wear that crap on a regular basis?

poodletalk
June 19th, 2006, 02:16 PM
OK-on my afternoon break, I will run to the store and get the skirt. I hope it's still there :fingerscr

Prin
June 19th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I think the younger generation has crossed over from women's freedom to public indecency at this point.... I'm all for tank tops and things where bra straps are showing (I do that too), but not the whole undies and everything hanging out..:o

joeysmama
June 19th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Did you get the skirt? Was it still there?

I don't even like seeing other people's underwear when they're hanging out on the clothesline. A slip of a bra strap showing under the strap of a tank top is one thing, and looks much better than wearing one with no bra. But when you're looking at a bra through a see through top or someone's thong is hanging out 5 inches above their pants, I'm grossed out.

There was a woman in the grocery store whose sweat pants were slung low and she had a thong sticking WAYY out of the top. She was overweight besides. And she walked into the store just before me and was meandering through the produce aisle, well basically in her underwear. I know I'm going to sound completely ridiculous but I couldn't bring myself to buy any produce that day. I skipped that aisle and headed to another department entirely.

A couple weeks ago I was browsing in a storefront jewelry store when the same thing happened and this was an employee.

I'm not in the least bit prudish, but I don't get it.

technodoll
June 19th, 2006, 07:53 PM
There was a woman in the grocery store whose sweat pants were slung low and she had a thong sticking WAYY out of the top. She was overweight besides.

:eek: holy crap i think i crossed that same woman on my way to work a few days ago! eeek! except she was trying to be goth, was wearing low-rise jeans and a short top, all you saw were huge black thong underwear hiked up over her belly-button, big stomach jiggling all over the place - i only caught an accidental glimpse before i looked away - it was either that or lose my breakfast! WHAT are these people THINKING!! :yuck:

Frenchy
June 19th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Well I am prudish!!!:angel: I think underwear should go UNDER your clothes. I've been working with men (car dealers) since I'm 18 years old.I got fed up about them looking at my boobs so I don't wear anything too tight anymore.And did you ever noticed when walking past some guys and looking in a glass,and see them looking at your bum while you are walking away?Hate that too.Unless it's a real cute guy.....;)

Frenchy
June 19th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Sorry,that was off topic,so,Poodletalk,did you get the skirt???

poodletalk
June 19th, 2006, 08:55 PM
I couldn't get the skirt on my break, it was raining.

So, I went to the store ten minutes before it closed, it was still there. I bought it, and I just gave it to my mom to mend.

I tried it on again, it's cute but I don't know who would wear it with all their underwear showing on the side. :confused:

The sales lady finds it bizarre that I didn't like the opening-apparently she sold hundreds of skirts like mine. :confused: :confused: :confused:

joeysmama
June 19th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Maybe you'll start a radical new trend. Decency !!! ;)

erykah1310
June 20th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Maybe you'll start a radical new trend. Decency !!!
Heres hoping you do!
I highly doubt it though, I myself think that underwear should be UNDER WEAR.

dtbmnec
June 20th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Aww but its sooo fun to have my underwear hanging out all over the place! [/sarcasm]

I'm not particularly prudish though I will say that I have my moments. I never understood the whole idea of having your underwear visible to the world and I am "of that generation"! I mean I get a bit freaked when I wear my hip huggers with regular bikini cut underwear and the underwear shows! I mean a little and that's ok for me but when I can feel the hip huggers sliding down my butt to where its like the teenage boys (underwear worn at the waist and jeans slung so low you wonder how they keep them up!) I always adjust it! Thankfully I'm slowly growing out of said pants and will be able to give them up!

Random off-topic bit: I've worn thongs and I don't understand HOW people can be comfortable in them! It was always so uncomfortable for me! *shudders*

Bra strap is one thing, however I still do tend to freak a bit over that in and of itself. I own a few of the tanks where they come with the built in bras and its uncomfortable wearing an actual bra underneath too. Those I don't wear bras with however the tanks sans-built-in I do. You know maybe I should just get rid of half my clothing most of it is too "teen" for me anymore. Of course if I did that I wouldn't have any clothes left.

The other thing that peeves me about today's "fashion" is that shorts barely cover you anymore! I mean sure I can shop at the adult stores where the shorts go down to my knees but that isn't what I want either. I just want shorts that cover one's "booty" but that is apparently too much to ask of short makers today.

Megan

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 20th, 2006, 12:47 AM
tried the thong dont like it boy cut for me all the way - and I know people that like to show there under wear you can even by fancy thongs for that - no not me - I will show my bra strap but its usually the same color as my tank.

Puppyluv
June 20th, 2006, 12:54 AM
If it fits perfectly, I love a thong. But finding that is near impossible. If I can't find a perfect fit, boy cut are my thing. But if the pants are tight, then a thong is a must, but it always, always always stays INSIDE the pants. I get so worried about showing anything, because It's gross! No one wants to see someone else's anal floss!

Prin
June 20th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Yeah, no way is a thong halfway up your back a good fit. I don't know how these people do it.. .:yuck:

mafiaprincess
June 20th, 2006, 02:14 AM
I love my thongs. I try not to show them to the world though.. But I've lost enough weight that even with a belt my pants creep down and the top sometimes shows.. but it's not the fashion statement I'm trying to make. I try to keep it covered.

I'm havign the same shorts issues.. They are so far up my bum that they aren't covering anything, or they come to my knees. Yuck on both accounts..

poodletalk
June 20th, 2006, 03:49 AM
shorts are very difficult to find-sometimes you can find nice shorts in sports experts in the 'columbia" section.

Personally, I find shopping very difficult-things never fit just right. Alot of the clothes especially pants are made for women who are tall, have no thighs and no behinds.

Where do you go to find pants that fits?

dtbmnec
June 20th, 2006, 06:59 AM
shorts are very difficult to find-sometimes you can find nice shorts in sports experts in the 'columbia" section.

Personally, I find shopping very difficult-things never fit just right. Alot of the clothes especially pants are made for women who are tall, have no thighs and no behinds.

Where do you go to find pants that fits?

I happened to be blessed (or cursed) with those exact characteristics: tall, no thighs and no butt....lol

I'm lucky enough that most pants will fit me but I still have a problem with shorts. I've noticed that the only place I've found that does have decent shorts is Fashion Max (its like a cheap outlet store almost but without the name brands). However there aren't many in Ontario and I was quite surprised to find that I'm living near one :). Pants I can go anywhere though the worst places for me to find pants that fit are places like Walmart and Zellers and The Bay. I just don't like the styles at all. So I get all my pants on sale at the "cool" stores (though I'm not "cool" enough for GAP and those super pricey stores)!

I never really cared about fashion so much that I had to have all the latest styles but I did care enough that I wasn't going to wear something that was 10 years out of date either. I don't care if they're [valley girl voice]"sooo last year"[/valley girl voice] or even the year before that! I just want pants that look good on me and fit!

Megan

poodletalk
June 20th, 2006, 09:50 AM
I happened to be blessed (or cursed) with those exact characteristics: tall, no thighs and no butt....lol

You should consider yourself lucky for this years and last years styles!!! If you go to Jacobs, the clothes start off expensive but if you wait a month and go to their liquidation center. (In Montreal-it's on St.Catherine street), you will get the clothes next to nothing.

I tend to wear the same clothes over and over again, not because I don't have the money to buy new clothes, but I get impatient because I can't find anything nice or it doesn't fit right. (I'm 5"4 and take a size 8)