Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nature Organics

mollell
June 19th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Just wanting to know if anyone is familiar with or is using Nature Organics dog food? I was thinking of trying it. The web page is www.bynaturepetfoods.com. Thanks everyone.

Prin
June 19th, 2006, 01:59 PM
I don't know how they can call it organic... It's got the bad synthetic vitamin K (banned for human consumption)- Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, which quite a few of the good companies are removing now.

Besides that, I just find their meats a bit weird. I mean they say the bulk of the food is made up of the ingredients before the fat, but in this food they stick them in after the fat too and not even dehydrated after the fat.:confused: It's like they throw them in there just so when you read the label you see them, but they're not in significant amounts to actually contribute to the nutritional content. On top of that, throwing in tiny bits of mean, IMO, might lead to more allergies that will be harder to narrow down. Maybe I'm wrong, but feeding just a hint of some meat every day is just bizarre.

The only one I've seen so far that has the meats before the fat is the organic chicken one:
Ingredients: Organic Chicken, Chicken Meal, Organic Ground Brown Rice, Organic Ground Oats, Organic Ground Barley, Lamb Meal, Organic Chicken Hydrolysate, Organic Peas, Organic Flaxseed Meal, Tomato Pomace, Chicken Fat (Stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavors, Monocalcium Phosphate, Organic Sunflower Oil, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Organic Dried Tomatoes, Organic Cranberries, Organic Carrots, Organic Spinach, Organic Kelp, Dried Chicory Root, Turmeric, Garlic, Niacin Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Rosemary Extract, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Dried Yeast Fermentation Solubles.
But it's a bit of a scam because once dehydrated in cooking, the "organic chicken" falls down the list, meaning that your main ingredient is "chicken meal" which is not even organic (when you're probably paying for organic). The lamb isn't organic either.:confused:

But the fact that the menadione is in there is not good. Before starting this food, I'd email the company and ask them why it's still in there.

Prin
June 19th, 2006, 02:05 PM
In their "Active Formula", they've got alfalfa meal, which is very high in vitamin K (so I've been told), and then they still have the menadione (bad synthetic vitamin K) in there. It's like they know the basics of food, but not the value of their own ingredients.:confused: It's just weird, IMO.

mollell
June 20th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Thanks so much. I am new to this board and have spent most of my time reading in the food forum. Boy, definitely lots to learn. I have e-mailed the company regarding the vitamin K and will let you know if they get back to me. My Molly has been eating DVP potato and duck due to the fact that my other dog Ellie was sick and the doctor thought it was food allergies, so Molly sort of had to follow along with the routine of trying different foods. Now that Ellie is gone and neither dog had food allergies I can now look for another food. I also noticed that on the DVP potato and duck kibble that there is a "vitamin K supplement". Would that be menadione bisulfite complex too?

Prin
June 20th, 2006, 12:18 PM
I'm not sure, but I think they have to say if it's menadione or not.. So far I haven't seen too many food companies who hide the fact that they use it.

mollell
June 23rd, 2006, 07:08 AM
I e-mailed the company regarding the use of synthetic vitamin K and this was their reply:
"According to our nutrition folks, menadione is restricted on humans because of their occurring use of blood thinners; it can have contraindicating effects; further, it is not recommended for humans who use any alcohol, which should not be an issue with pets; therefore, this vitamin K precursor should not be an issue in pet foods. We humans are the ones who complicate matters with all our "add ons"."
They just really never focused on the reason they include this in dog food. Or whether they had plans to eliminate it. Which was my question to them.

Prin
June 23rd, 2006, 01:25 PM
Yeah, that's not why it was removed from human consumption... From what we found out, in the long term, it goes where real vitamin K goes and disrupts the normal vitamin K cycle... Much more serious than a potential contraindication, IMO.