Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Broken Toe?

Stacer
June 18th, 2006, 11:24 PM
So, today I was going down my parent's stairs (they're wooden), and I slipped on the 3rd or 4th from the top and went down the rest of the stairs on my butt and back with arms flailing, I landed on the carpet covered concrete. On the way down i must have caught my toe on something or else I smashed it on the floor when I landed. Anyways, aside from the bruising that will surely cover my posterior and back in the next couple of days, I think I broke my toe (the one next to my baby toe). It has turned a sickly purple colour and is very swollen (like a little sausage). It's not super painful, I haven't taken any pain killers. It throbs and I can't put any pressure on it. Is it broken? And if it is, is there any point in seeing my doctor about it? They can't do much for a little broken toe can they? Maybe I'll just keep icing it and then tape it to the toe next to it.

glasslass
June 18th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Oh Boy! Another "purple keester"! That's how I broke my ankle last year. I know you'll be hurting tomorrow. My sympathies to you!

erykah1310
June 18th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Id put my money on it being broken, lol, i broke my big toe 2 years ago ( in a drunken stupor none the less) and it looked like the "Micheline Tire" man!!!!! Also was a nasty purple, couldnt put any pressure on it and so on. So the next day i went to the hospital, there is nothing they can do for a broken toe, so they sent me home with a prescription for T3's. I didnt bother filling the prescription cause IMO it didnt hurt that much. It stopped hurting after about 4 days and was just sensitive.
:sorry: You may have broke your toe, " try to keep it moving" was the advice my doctor gave me so i guess i can pass it on.

jesse's mommy
June 19th, 2006, 06:00 AM
All you can really do is tape it to the toe next to it so it sets. If it's crooked you are going to have to set it, then tape it. Usually you don't have to set it yourself because it's such a small appendage and doesn't have much room to go. Of course keep ice on it so the swelling will go down, but you probably already knew that.

I hope you feel better.

Puppyluv
June 19th, 2006, 06:08 AM
yeesh broken toes.... I've broken a total of 8 toes (mostly repeats though) and unless your toe is seriously dislocated (one time my big toe was 90 degrees from the other toes) or you can no longer walk at all, you don't need to see a dr. I would rest, elevate, ice, tape and take an anti-inflammatory. Hope you feel better soon!

BMDLuver
June 19th, 2006, 07:17 AM
hmmm, apparently it was a bad weekend for toes. I broke the same one on my left foot tripping up the stairs and my husband slipped outside and sprained his ankle. Maybe the heat wave yesterday got to everyone?

chico2
June 19th, 2006, 07:18 AM
I've broken a few toes in my lifetime,the worst was my big toe,all the doc did was tape it to the next toe.
However,I now have a kind of strange looking big toe and I wear sandals and flip-flops all summer,but who really cares about my toe...noooobody!!

Stacer
June 19th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I'm taking the day off of work today, so i can keep it elevated and iced. There's only a very dull throbbing in it now, no real pain. It's not crooked or anything so I don't think i'll have to set it. Who knew there'd be so many broken toe experts here?:D

Oh Boy! Another "purple keester"! That's how I broke my ankle last year. I know you'll be hurting tomorrow. My sympathies to you!
Oh, yeah. I'm definitely sore today. every muscle in my back is screaming and i can feel the bruising, I need to find a second mirror so I can see the damage.

Prin
June 19th, 2006, 02:22 PM
I broke that same toe a couple of months ago. It still hurts if I move it in the direction that I broke it... Even my doctor said not to go in for it, so you just have to tough it out.:D

Stacer
June 19th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Another one with a broken toe. And third with the toe next to the baby toe (to me, that seems like a difficult one to break, being as it is huddled in between other toes). I didn't realize that breaking toes was so prevalent. This is my first one. I honestly thought that it would hurt more, especially when it happened. I guess I was too concerned with trying to stop myself from completely going head over heels down the stairs and then when I landed I was so full of adrenaline that I didn't feel much of anything until I calmed down a bit. At least it was just a toe.

Prin
June 19th, 2006, 02:45 PM
lol in a month, instead of "it's just a toe", you'll probably be thinking "*&%^$&*$% toe, just #%^&#*&# HEAL ALREADY!!!" :D

Stacer
June 19th, 2006, 02:48 PM
lol, yeah most likely. The small injuries always take the longest to heal sometimes, it seems. Especially when you want to do something with the injured part, such as walk, or pick things up with your toes :p

Prin
June 19th, 2006, 03:08 PM
lol lol Yeah, that's a b**ch to do when they're broken.:D

erykah1310
June 19th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Mine still hurts when i walk too long or when its damp out!http://bestsmileys.com/handicap/4.gif

Stacer
June 19th, 2006, 04:27 PM
You now have an accurate weather gauge! "I just know it's going to rain out, I can feel it in my toe":D

erykah1310
June 19th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Arent you just the optomist lol!!! :D
I never thought about it that way! thanks!:thumbs up