Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Installing Skylights

glasslass
June 18th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I can't believe we are doing this so soon after moving in. I'm so tired of moving furniture, unpacking, etc. But . . . the living room is sooooo dark! We decided to put on a new roof and add skylights. We've been in upheaval but it's close to being done. This should take care of the darkness!

glasslass
June 18th, 2006, 10:04 PM
The sheetrock is in place. Now we have to paint.

chico2
June 19th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Glasslass,we too have been thinking of a skylight,but in my kitchen,which is too dark.
We went to Home Depot,picked our window,but they don't install skylights:(
We would have to hire a contractor..too complicated.
So,we are going to the people who installed our regular windows.At $1.600Canadian,incl skylight and labour,does that sound reasonable??

glasslass
June 19th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Chico, the roofers don't actually install the skylights, but it's the best time to do it because the roof is all opened up and you can do the flashings, etc. Because our skylights are large, they had to be framed in by a carpenter. Then you need a sheetrocker to do the inside work. You might want to consider the small round tube skylights. We put one of those in our laundry area. The light is incredible! I never would have believed how much light comes in. The installation is fairly simple also. It fits flush to the ceiling and no sheetrocking required. For the three skylights, it cost us about $3,000, plus the cost of the roof. The work was done by the contractor we bought our home from. We were thrilled because it was his own home before, he built it, and he remodeled it several times. He knew the house intimately. We did get other quotes, but his was comparable. Actually, he was higher but he lowered his price to match the other because he wanted to do it.

chico2
June 19th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Thank's Glasslass,someone suggested to us a tube skylight,but I did not think it would give enough light.
It's depressing to go inside to cook in my dark kitchen,after spending the day out in the sun,I'll look in to it..
Out windowpeople who installed all our new windows,would do the complete installation of the sky-light,no need for other contractors.