Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

do your dogs eat less in hot weather?

technodoll
June 18th, 2006, 07:23 PM
do all dogs eat less in hot weather, or only those thick-coated breeds who suffer from the heat? :confused:

my two akitas have shed alot of weight (and fur!) the past week, and their eating pattern is completely off the charts... let's just say they've been very cheap to feed and dammit, how do i get them to eat at least one meal per two or three days? anybody else have this problem? they are miserably hot no matter what :(

mafiaprincess
June 18th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Cider ate brunch no prob.. For dinner she ate the small helping of barking at the moon and a small amount of wolf king.. but she left half her dinner behind..

I think it's the humidity..

Puppyluv
June 18th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Layla's 1/2 lab, sooo... no problems eating here :)
My parents' belgian however eats maybe 1/2 of her normal food on hot days. Fortunately, they live in calgary, so they only have 5 of those a year.

technodoll
June 18th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Fortunately, they live in calgary, so they only have 5 of those a year

LOL! my dad lived there for years and there were summers where the garden couldn't even be planted! but oh, what nice wilderness.

hey puppyluv, if you want to pm me your work hours... perhaps some evening this week (if you work evenings?) i could pop by with my two anorexic-keeters (aka supermodels, yeah, riiiight) to shake a paw? I'll even buy an iced coffee-thingie :D

Rottielover
June 18th, 2006, 08:05 PM
No, Harley is still a pig, but is alot less active outside. I have AC

Frenchy
June 18th, 2006, 08:10 PM
3 pigs here too.They NEVER leave any.

technodoll
June 18th, 2006, 08:21 PM
you guys are lucky to have dogs whose appetites are not that affected by the weather. i'm starting to get strange looks from people, i'm sure they're wondering if i feed my dogs! oh yeah sure i do! come see my garbage can to see everything i have to throw away cut it's not getting eaten! :mad:

Maxine
June 18th, 2006, 08:30 PM
My dog Lex would not finish his bowl neither. Too hot. No AC, third floor.
But I found a little trick for the heat, and it seems to make him cool down and want to eat.
I take a small towel ( the one to dry your hands, you know???);) and I wet it all over with cold water, put it in the freezer for a couple of minutes, and I lay the towel on his back.... He loves it!!!! :D Sometimes he is in the washroom, looking with envy to the hand towel (the actual REAL one :D )

Maxine

Frenchy
June 18th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Actually,I wouldn't mind at all if Sam would skip some meals!He really has to loose weight and since I got him (november 2005) only lost 3-5 pounds. Maxine,I tried the towell thing this afternoon but didn't put it in the freezer,good idea.Next time!

OntarioGreys
June 18th, 2006, 09:27 PM
SAme problem here, found they prefer to eat instead around 10pm and early mornings 1 eskie 2 greyhounds, so here coat type makes no diffference

Brat
June 18th, 2006, 09:40 PM
My husky/german shepherd has been eating less lately..I have the A/C going for him all day. I hate seeing him pant non stop. I try to spray him with my water bottle as much as I can. I have a fan on him too.. poor guy :(

Puppyluv
June 18th, 2006, 09:56 PM
These are the days that I'm glad half of my floors are marble (in the winter, I curse them), becuase they stay cold no matter how hot it gets, so Layla spends the day lying on them (if it's really really hot, she lies in my marble shower.. for some reason she doesn't like being near the ac)

cpietra16
June 18th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Sorry, Winnie is a lab...and if its in front of her, she'll eat it :D

catsnatcher-CDN
June 18th, 2006, 10:20 PM
I thought the pets would eat less because of the heat... But my Homeless 5 ate 7 cans today instead of the usual 3. I also left them alot of water in case they were dehydrated but they went straight for the food!

LibbyP
June 18th, 2006, 10:26 PM
My two have stopped, they maybe eat one bowl between the two of them in 2 days = 6cups,a Walker & Mastiff all they want to do is hind in the basement no AC here but we have the fans going, they to have saved me a ton of $$ this last little while:)

mafiaprincess
June 19th, 2006, 12:12 AM
When it cooled down this evenign a touch she ate the rest of dinner from a buster cube.

I know how she feels without the fur though. I'm all hazy and wierd feeling from the heat..

Lissa
June 19th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Sometimes I wish Dodger's appetite would diminish:evil:

But no - never, that will never happen (even when he had kennel cough and couldn't keep anything down, he NEEDED food:rolleyes: )

I swear he's like an emtional eater, when he's stressed he needs food, when he's hurt he needs food, when he's happy he needs food...really, its all about the food!

Prin
June 19th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Before we had a/c, Jemma and Boo ate a bit less and got runnier poop if they were hot all day..

Melei'sMom
June 19th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Melei eats in the early morning and again in the evening. She always chows down inthe morning, but if it is sticky hot in the evening she has no interest in eating supper.

THe shaving helped though. She has a slightly higher temp tolerence now that she isn't wearing a thick coat.

SnowDancer
June 19th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I should be so lucky. My Eskie has to lose 3 lbs. and if anything his appetite is even more voracious despite the heat and his double coat. Actually when my 10 lb. mini Dachshunds were alive they were the same - nothing interfered with the quantity of food they ate. Now if only Eskie would drink more - or at least during the day rather than early morning, dinner time and bed time. Stubborn.

erykah1310
June 19th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Meik barely eats if its hot, he waits till bed time to eat.
Kita EATS regardless how hot it is out side and Puppy too. The heat doesnt seem to phase them one bit.
The cats on the other hand lounge around all day and are NUTS at night thats when they eat when its hot out. During the day while the house is 79 degrees they lay in the SUN????? Weird kitties, they sometimes look half dead??!! Only at my house would things be this way with the cats

PattiK
June 19th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Mine have kibble down all day and they are off it a bit, shepherd X and a collie but they are still eating their raw food. The collie suffers terribly in the summer, I just keep her as brushed as possible and dunk her in the tub every so often. The shepherd cross LOVES water, so he goes swimming in the evenings.
My husband brought home these bandana things, they have hard little crystals in them that expand in water and get cool and stay that way for a few hours. Seems to keep them somewhat cooler.

Dogastrophe
June 19th, 2006, 07:22 PM
My Lucy has skipped a couple of meals over the past few days (we've had some fairly warm days). Same thing occurred last year in the spring. With my other two it is dinner as normal.

Frenchy
June 19th, 2006, 07:34 PM
PattiK;where did your husband buy those bandanas,it's the first I've heard of them.Seems interesting.

PattiK
June 20th, 2006, 12:42 PM
PattiK;where did your husband buy those bandanas,it's the first I've heard of them.Seems interesting.

They sell them at his work to the workers and management gets them free - nice perk! I'll get him to bring me home another, so I can read who makes them. They must be pretty cheap because they sell them to the workers for $1/each. I used one when I had a migraine.

Frenchy
June 20th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Cool!I hope I can get some around here.

PattiK
June 23rd, 2006, 02:17 PM
OK here's the website, www.allegrosafety.com and they have a toll-free number 1-800-622-3530

I don't know how they sell them or to whom, but it's worth checking out.
Oh they're called cool-offs and they are under climate control products seasonal for cooling if that all makes sense LOL!

Frenchy
June 23rd, 2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks so much Patty.I can see they have a cooling vest for humain,cool !

mastifflover
June 23rd, 2006, 08:14 PM
Buddy does not eat that much in the summer probably 1/2 of what he does when it is cool. No AC 4 fans, 3 aimed at low for the dog 1 for me. What is wrong with this picture.

Prin
June 23rd, 2006, 08:17 PM
No AC 4 fans, 3 aimed at low for the dog 1 for me. What is wrong with this picture.
Well, for starters, the no AC for the dogs...:D

technodoll
June 23rd, 2006, 10:46 PM
geez they spend all afternoon swimming and running in a cool green forest, they come home and still won't eat? and it's not even hot! mon dieu, i don't understand my silly dogs... :cool:

mastifflover
June 23rd, 2006, 11:47 PM
I know I know I am such a cruel dog owner please don't report me. I am working on one of those freestanding ones but they are pricey 600-800 bucks. But I know he is worth it. But he should get a job

Prin
June 24th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Abuse! :D lol I wonder what job a mastiff could get that he'd be qualified for. :D

Frenchy
June 24th, 2006, 01:27 PM
job for a mastiff? Work at a kissing boot :rolleyes: slubber.....:yuck:

technodoll
June 24th, 2006, 04:32 PM
... giving "pony" rides to small kids... :D