Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help needed

cpietra16
June 18th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Ok, this is the thing...I rarely kill anything on purpose...and that goes for bugs too. Now my problem is ANTS...does anyone know anyway to keep big ants out of the house...they are coming out of the woodworks. I have seem where their homes are...all around the outside wall of the house...can I do anything atleast "humane" to get them to find another home:o ...my "oh so funny husband" suggested an anteater...hahaha
PS: I am serious...think Humane please:p

Prin
June 18th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Hmm.. If they're in the walls, it's likely that you have a gazillion colonies by now... I had that in the house I lived in as a teen and I'm still creeped out by ants... You could always just vacuum the suckers up and then rehome them at somebody else's house...:evil:

chico2
June 18th, 2006, 04:12 PM
CPietra,I am one of those people catching bugs and putting them out of the house,or running out picking up bugs in my pool.
However,ants is a different story and we have lots of them:sad:
I don't personally kill them,but hubby and the ants are at war:evil:
I've heard,if you put a line of chalk across your doors,the ants won't come in,but we tried that they still come in..
I think it's a losing battle,there are millions of ants,you kill a few,it won't make any difference.
If I had them in my cupboards,I would probably have to use some sort of poison:(

papillonmama
June 18th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I saw this one on breakfast televsion, talcum powder (baby powder), supposedly they hate it, like the chalk you're supposed to dust it around the walls. You could try slowly dripping water into the ant tunnels, and they will move, hopefully not into your house though:eek: . Or maybe get your husband to pour some boiling water onto the mound.

They also mentioned a sugar and borax solution, but I don't know the recipe for it.

I hear you on not wanting to kill them, I have a serious spider infestation, but I don't have the heart to hurt them, and I'm too squeemish to move them.

Good luck:thumbs up

cpietra16
June 18th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Thanks guys, but Talcum power dries them up and then die...and I guess I will have to get my husband to do the dirty dead...my cats helped for awhile but now they too have eaten enough..and are bored with them....

mafiaprincess
June 18th, 2006, 04:48 PM
How large are they? If they are carpenter ants you really are better off killing them than them eating your home..

I've put down ant traps after seeign 3 carpenter ants and countless large but non carpenter ants. This year I've seen more ants than ever inside and it scares me.

Frenchy
June 18th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Mafiaprincess is right,if they are carpenter ants,they can do a lot of damage. Maybe find them a foster family until they get adopted?:p but seriously,I would kill them,it's them or the house!:evil:

mastifflover
June 18th, 2006, 05:49 PM
User Gentian Violet. You will have to do a search to find out how it is used but it is what my grandmother used if the pesky critters got in her kitchen. My approach would be this and ant traps. It is also a great ear cleaner when mixed with boric acid and alcohol or witch hazel and genitan violet.

papillonmama
June 18th, 2006, 06:21 PM
okay, found more answers, they say that cinnamon is a deterrent, if you put it in front of their entrance point, they also don't like peppermint, but be careful, because mint has a hardy root system. pepper and white vinegar are also supposed to be detterents.

cpietra16
June 18th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I don't know what kind of ants they are...all I know is that they are big....they cast a shadow:p . The house is very old and I'm afraid that one morning I will wake up to a pile of sawdust....if ofcourse they're carpenter ants...I have yet to see any of them with a hammer and saw:D

jesse's mommy
June 18th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Can you take a picture of one and post it? For regular ants, we've put traps down -- which don't always work. I'm the one who gets obsessive and I will actually stalk them and kill every last one. My honey has actually had to lead me away from the kitchen where we had them last year. He seriously thought I was losing it. Anyway, once I was sure they were out of the kitchen area and retreating, we bought boric acid and they will not cross it. After they were definitely out of the house, we put a line of it around the outside of the house and poof, no more ants. I was a happy camper and no longer obsessive. :o But remember, these were just regular ants, not big ants or carpenter ants. If they are carpenter ants, you definitely have a fight ahead of you. I'll give my dad a call tomorrow and ask him about them. He's a contractor and has delt with them for about the last 40 years.

cpietra16
June 18th, 2006, 08:57 PM
this an ant..its hard to see since he /she/it whatever was up on its hind legs trying to attack Nicki, my ferel cat:confused: I have never seen an ant act this way. ANyway this ant is about 3x the size of a normal ant...if this doesn't help. I will try to put a piece of cookie and take a pix before it carts it off:p

cpietra16
June 18th, 2006, 08:58 PM
oops forgot the picture...here it is

dtbmnec
June 18th, 2006, 09:12 PM
[minor threadjack]

As a child one year so my parents tell me I did some curious things with ants. At one point I would play in the backyard and run up to mom with my fingers smushed together and tell her "present". I did this several times before mom got curious as to what I was doing and followed me back. Turns out I was picking up ants and running back to her to give her her present (mmm dead ant what mother doesn't want that?!). To give me some credit I was like 3 years old at the time!

[/minor threadjack]

I think my mom always used powdered baking soda or something. Javex? I'm not sure....

Megan

jawert1
June 18th, 2006, 10:18 PM
I'm of similar mind CPietra, I try not to kill anything, and often (caveat) that includes insects. However, ants are an entirely different story. A dry powdered mixture of cayenne, jalepeno and black pepper spread in the areas you see them the most will help (mix a little water in and make a paste - keep away from pets tho most will stay away), but honestly, ant traps and spraying are the only way to go.

jessi76
June 19th, 2006, 08:58 AM
vinegar. spray areas of your house where you see ants, with vinegar. I do windowsills, baseboards, back of my countertops, inside cabinets, etc. It needs to be re-applied, but works, and is SAFE for your own household pets. the borax method works well too, but do keep your own pets away from it. mix borax w/ things like sugar, cornmeal, syrup, etc... the worker ants carry the bait back to the nest, where the borax kills from within.

raingirl
June 19th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I know you want humane, but I think if you leave them alone or even in your walls, you will end up with a huge problem.

This is a carpenter ant:

http://www.unexco.com/carp-ant.jpg

If you don't take care of them now, they dig tunnels in the wood in your walls, which will cost a lot to fix.

Go to the drug store and buy boric acid or borax soap (I have never seen it in stores though, so I use boric acid powder) and mix it half/half with anything sweet. Jam, sugar, honey, peanut butter, anything. Those small circle traps with the holes in the side are just borac acid and peanut butter.

Then put it around where the ants are, inside and out. The ants then take the "food" back to the queen, who eats eat, and it causes them to die somehow.