Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

off leash question

lewisw
June 18th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Hi all,
Hope this is the right place to ask this.

Scenero that is happening often now is I take Dani 2 minutes from my house to a park and let's say there are 3 people with there dogs there and they are all playing off leash .

Now I let Dani mingle and play but I don;t let her off her leash . Guess I'm still afraid she mght run away .

The people that I meet say Dani should be allowed to play with the other dogs off leash so she is on the same level as the other dogs and not hindered.

I usualy expalin only have Dani a few weeks and she is a rescu and I am afraid she might run away .

Am I doing the wrong thing by not showing Dani trust in letting her off leash ?
It is a big park BUT it is not enclosed by a fence like at Centennial park .

Help as I am starting to hestitate to go to the smaller park as I am afraid people are going to say I am cruel to Dani .

I also wish I could play fetch with her off leash like I do in my backyard as she loves to run for my football and bring it oh well almost back to me and this would give us more play area.

I remember Inverness mentioning when Dani was there she needed to be tied up out of cage as she would try and run away.

Again thanks everyone for all your help and guidance for us.

Lewis

BoxerRescueMTL
June 18th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Hi lewis! You are being very smart actually - I never trust my dogs not to run away and they are ALWAYS leashed when they are in an unfenced area. Squirrels, cats, plastic bags blowing in the wind can all ignite a prey drive and make dogs want to chase. Someone I was speaking to had recently lost her PERFECTLY trained boxer because, like they did everyday for the last 5 years, they left the house with no leash and walked 15 feet to the car to go for a ride. Well the boxer saw a deer, chased it for a mile, got hit by a car and died. He had never in 5 yrs run away before and before this incident his owner swore that he never would. Goes to show that dogs are still animals and know matter how well trained, they can always disobey commands in the heat of the moment.

That said, dogs can feel insecure if they are leashed and playing/meeting other dogs, because they are not free to leave the situation if they get uncomfortable. I would definitely go to a safe, fenced in, no leash park where Dani can run with the other dogs and be safe as well. I know there is a huge one right on the 40, west of and on the same side as the Merck Frost. It is right beside The Coliseum movie theatre and the Tim Horton's, Winners, shopping centre.
Have fun!!!

mastifflover
June 18th, 2006, 08:24 AM
You are not mean or cruel you are smart and love your dog. Do not let anyone convince you to leave Dani off lead. Boxerrescue is so right. My friend lost her dog of 10 years 2 days ago he bolted after a cat and was hit and killed by a car. The dog would normally never leave her side, you are better safe than sorry. We do not want to read that you lost Dani.

tenderfoot
June 18th, 2006, 08:52 AM
You are just fine.

Trust is earned not just handed out. After you have done some obedience work and started to create leadership and she is proving herself to be trustworthy, then you can test her in a safely fenced area.

Until then just smile sweetly and say 'no thanks' to their pressures. They are well intentioned but the list of things that could go wrong would make you regret it forever.

SnowDancer
June 18th, 2006, 09:24 AM
None of my dogs have ever been off leash - and that includes in the back yard - even the one time we had a fenced yard - always on a tie-out with us there with them. Hounds can dig under and Eskies can jump over from standing position. Also absolutely no road sense - with keen prey sense. The only time my Eskie is ever off leash is when he goes one a week with a professional dog walker to a fenced off-leash dog park with a group of dogs that gets along well with each other. Any sign of an aggressive dog in park area, they leave. A question though, is the park where you are taking Dani designated off leash? I ask because unfortunately I live right across the street from a park in East York and it is NOT an off leash park - we never go in it - but very large, loose dogs are let free in it and have come after my Eskie on the street - and my dog is not the first to have suffered this - I had to flatten myself over his body to protect him. Drives me nuts - NOT off leash means just that. So I would say you had better be safe than sorry - keep Dani leashed and then you don't need to worry.

phoenix
June 18th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I have to disagree.

When other dogs are playing off leash, I have seen so much aggression start because another dog joins in on a leash. In my opinion, if you don't want your dog off leash, don't go to an offleash park.

While it is smart to keep your dog on the leash in an unfenced area, especially since she is new, I wouldn't let her join in with the other dogs. Seriously, if she feels threatened by the other dogs and running isn't an option, she may growl/bite etc. It is not cruel, but I do think it is an accident waiting to happen. You are hindering her body language through the leash, and she may interpret that as being trapped.

If the place is secure and is a real off leash park for dogs, I would say, either let Dani play off the leash OR don't take her there. I read that the park you're talking about isn't fenced; can you find an offleash park in your area that is fenced? Then she can be social without the worry of running away.

Could you put a long lead on her and let her trail it behind her, without you holding on? At least then she could run.

lewisw
June 18th, 2006, 11:18 AM
All of you thanks so much for your help .

In the unfenced park Dani will never now be off leash but in the fenced in dog run at Centennial I will let her play (ONly now that she received all her shots) with the other dogs off leash since it is a designated offleash area.

BoxerRescueMTL , The park that you mention is where I will take Dani next week-end as it is 5 minutes away from where I live by car .

Again I thank each and everyone of you for your help and guidance.

Sincerely,
Lewis

Prin
June 18th, 2006, 11:54 AM
I have to disagree.

When other dogs are playing off leash, I have seen so much aggression start because another dog joins in on a leash. In my opinion, if you don't want your dog off leash, don't go to an offleash park.
I agree. Dogs are far more likely to become aggressive when they are leashed and the others aren't.

So many people go to dog parks when their dogs don't have good call backs yet and I think that's dangerous. With so many distractions, even the best trained dogs have to relearn some commands so they don't ignore their owners in the dog park. The last thing you want is your dog injured or unsafe with no way of getting her near you.

If I were you, I'd go to reno and get a 100ft nylon rope so in unfenced areas you can see how she reacts to being less tied down first. Getting a doggy to come back is a gradual thing- you can't just unclick the leash and expect miracles, no matter what the peer pressurers say.;)

OntarioGreys
June 18th, 2006, 12:47 PM
I have 3 dog none will ever run loose unless in an enclosed fenced area,

This is a good read

I believe this is the original version is here Trust....A deadly disease

http://www.sheltie.com/trust.htm

And another version
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/advice/trust.html

All you need to do is read these Amber Alert for greyhound that have went missing to understand why, It gets cropped every few months to keep the list short and currnt, there is a very strong community for greyhounds often when a dog goes missing neighbouring adoption groups are contacted so as to gather a small army of volunteers to help in the search and recovery, most other breed rescues can't offer such a powerful support system, and even still some are never found, other take months to find often because they are in serious medical shape or starving and can no longer run in fear.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showforum=24

There is an Amber section in pet.ca as well, the above links just happen to provide a lot more details about what a search for a lost dog entails.

Was Dani not found as a lost stray ????? If so what are the odds she will be as lucky if there is a next time.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
June 18th, 2006, 04:27 PM
You are definately not cruel for keeping your pet leashed. You are showing her how much you care about her by obeying the leash laws :)

lewisw
June 18th, 2006, 04:55 PM

Was Dani not found as a lost stray ????? If so what are the odds she will be as lucky if there is a next time.

God forbid there is a next time. Microchip and all I would never want to put her through the trauma of not knowing where her home is or even to be lost and wait for me to find her.

So I went to buy the 100ft nylon rope so at least I can play with her some fetch in the park 2 minutes away and not worry about it not being ferced in .

As well even with peer pressure if people dogs are playing off leash in a public park that is not fenced in she just won't be allowed to play with those dogs.
Honestly I'd rather be safe then sorry.
Lewis

lewisw
June 18th, 2006, 05:00 PM

This is a good read

I believe this is the original version is here Trust....A deadly disease

http://www.sheltie.com/trust.htm

A good read is an understatement . Just read it and got shivers up and down my spine. Specially the part about letting your pet off leash from the car to the front door.