Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boarding Illness

bexareagle
June 16th, 2006, 09:23 PM
We left our sweet 11 year old male neutered poodle at our vet's office to board for about a week and a half. He has boarded there many times and is happy there usually. Our dog is in good health.

When we picked him up they handed him to us and casually said, 'Oh, he's had diarrhea today." Well, the poor thing was sick all day long. I took him back to the vet the next day beause he was worse. They examed him, gave him an injection, forced some fluids, did some labwork and sent us home with meds. And charged us about $160.

Our friend is a vet in another city and he said he would never charge for a boarded dog that became sick while in their care. So, I am asking for opinions here - what do you think? To be charged or not? Charged for what? Remember we had already paid over $210 for boarding fees the previous day. I feel like we do owe something for his treatment but I think all the fees just seemed a bit much. They said they really had no explanation for his illness (of coure not) except maybe he got stressed out. The dog has boarded there for this long before and he visits there 4-5 times per year. The dog has only had diarrhea once before in his long life.

So let me hear your opinions. I am on the fence about this. Thanks.

Prin
June 17th, 2006, 04:06 PM
How's the diarrhea now? I'd say unless it's some disease or bacteria that the dog caught at the vet that he wouldn't have been exposed to otherwise, it is unfortunately your bill to pay, IMO. If it was just because he was upset or because you didn't leave enough food so they had to switch him to something else or something like that, those are just regular consequences of boarding a dog. It's never easy on the dog to be kennelled.

bexareagle
June 17th, 2006, 10:01 PM
thank you so much for the response. that's what i want. a honest opinion. thanks again.