Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Local hero

chico2
January 9th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Today when I went to my local Pet-Value store,I was greated by a beautiful,big longhaired cat..
I was told by the owners of the store(wonderful people)she was one of eight cats,belonging to a home-less woman.
They had taken the eight cats into the store after noticing the homeless woman in a snowcovered van and later seeing eight very cold cats.They took all eight cats to their store,put them into a nice warm little storage-room and they will be staying in the store until the homless woman finds a place to live,or it gets warmer.At night they are let out into the store to run around.
Right now they are trying to find someone who would fix the womans van,since it is broken down.I will contact the local newspaper,maybe if they do a story,someone will volounteer.I was told she had made quiet a nice home for the cats in the van and in the summer it was ok,all eight cats walk with a leash,just like a dog.
The owners of the Pet Value are true heroes,owners themselves of 4 cats and 4 dogs.

Luba
January 9th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Oh dear and it is so very cold in our parts too!

Tear in my eye, so very very sad!

:(

mona_b
January 10th, 2004, 06:23 PM
I wonder if this is the same woman who was on the news a while ago.People saw it and donated things to her and a pet store donated bags of cat food.I must say the cats were gorgeous.And she really loves them.

chico2
January 11th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Mona..I think you are probably right.I went back down to the store thinking I could bring the media in on this,but it had already been done,even TV,but I did not see or read it..All venues have been tried,Humane Society will take the cats,but Elisabeth(cat-owners name)has to sign them over.Another shelter,will board them at $80/week and you have to supply food,litterboxes etc...plus a person to stay there every day.
I don't know what her background is,but she obviously loves her cats very much and yes,they are gorgeous.There is a male longhaired white cat(Angel)and a longhaired grey female,plus a beautiful dark-orange male,a couple of calicos and a dsh white cat.She will adopt them out,but only in pairs.Angel,the beautiful white male,was put in a foster-home,but returned after a few days,the fosterparents not realizing Angel would suffer anxiety and be unhappy at first to be without his buddies.
For the moment the cats are ok,the owners of the Pet-Value are
the ultimate animal-lovers and the cats can stay there for as long as it takes. Elisabeths biggest concern right now is to get her van going again.I don't know about the money she recieved after exposure to the press,but I know wellfare,since she has no adress,gives her about $170/month for food,works out to a little more than $5/per day.

daisy18216
January 11th, 2004, 09:42 AM
That is soo sad.:(

Can the owner of the cats go to a shelter for now, until she can get her van fixed, or find a suitable home (that will allow all the cats)?

Maybe if she goes to the shelter she can get cleaned up and maybe be able to get a job somewhere.

It's a nice thought and I hope she can do it.

chico2
January 11th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Well,Elisabeth can always find shelter,right now she is staying at the house of the Pet Value people.But it's temporary..
It would be close to impossible to rent with 8 cats...
The P-V couple already have 4 dogs and 4 cats(all from shelters,except a little Pug)they cannot house 8 more cats.
But we'll see what happens,maybe someone will fix her van,just to get in the paper.