Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shaking problems!!

jeannie00
June 16th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I dont even know how to explain this. But im gonna try. Im having problems outta command training my dog. She knows the command sit, shake, and lay down. But everytime i have her sit to do a command, she continuously throws her paw up like shes shaking. I tell her no, and she keeps doing it. How do i break her from doing this??? Not only does she do this, but in the process scratches the crap outta our legs, arms or whatever she puts her paw on. I tell her firmly "NO" and put her paw down on the ground, but she will not stop. I cant get her to do any other commands accept throwing her paw on us. Why is she doing this??? Is she doing this for a reason? I only want her to shake when i command her to. How do i correct this problem.

Also, how do i get her to stay, when i tell her to sit, or lay down and stay. She only stays for a few seconds and is right back up. How do i teach her to stay???

mafiaprincess
June 16th, 2006, 01:39 PM
The dog is going through the repitoire of commands it knows to try to please you. The one you taught last is often tho one they'll give you first.

Try a good OB class. Easier after a session of classes being taught to teach your dog how to train in future.

Prin
June 16th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Yeah, they do that to get the cookie. It means that she isn't listening and is just focused on the treat. Do you have it in your hand when you ask things of her? If you do, try without a treat around and then if she listens, go get a treat.

jeannie00
June 16th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Yeah, they do that to get the cookie. It means that she isn't listening and is just focused on the treat. Do you have it in your hand when you ask things of her? If you do, try without a treat around and then if she listens, go get a treat.

I dont always have the treat in my hand. She is really bad about this.

Inverness
June 16th, 2006, 02:24 PM
She's not bad, she simply doesn't understand what you want from her. If you are going too fast, she gets confused and doesn't know what you want, so she tries whatever she has learned to see if you'll be satisfied.

Also, dogs often raise one of their front paws, when they are afraid of something. This is a calming signal which basically means "don't hurt me". If your dog doesn't understand what you are asking from her, she might get afraid of your reaction and the more you make her feel she is not doing the right thing, the more she'll repeat the calming signal.

You should go back and start from scratch, only reinforcing the behaviour you want and ignoring everything else.

Have you tried clicker training ?

SarahLynn123
June 16th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I think you should go to a beginner obedience class. I am going with one of my dogs and he already knew a few tricks before we got there.

Its beginner obedience clicker training and its excellent, we are learning everything from sit, stay to leave it. Its also lots of fun for the dog.

They also teach you all about why your dog does certain things and how to stop them

Please give it a try!

Sarah

LM1313
June 16th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Regarding sitting . . . when I trained my dog, I had a release command. For her it was "free". When I said it, that meant she was free to stop following a command (usually sit, down, or heel) and go do her own thing. It was great because it took away the ambiguity. She didn't have to wonder "Is it okay for me to go play yet? . . . . Maybe now? . . . . Now?" ;)

jeannie00
June 16th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Can someone give me an "estimate" of how much a class will cost for her??? How do i contact someone to get her enrolled for a class. I need an estimate of how much it will cost to sign her up. Id really like to get her into a class if i can.

mafiaprincess
June 16th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Check the yellow pages for dog training. Call up schools ask them if they use positive training methods and cost. Chose that way.

kaytris
June 16th, 2006, 09:06 PM
http://www.cappdt.ca has a trainer search function. Prices vary widely over Canada.

jeannie00
June 16th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Thank you :)