Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peeing and Pooping for Attention

andy00
June 16th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Hi guys,

I have a 3 month old jack russell who is too smart for his own good. I am positive that he knows to do his business on the newspaper, but whenever he wants food or attention he pees and poops on the carpet. Whenever he does do a pee and poop on the newspaper we praise him and give him a treat. Sometimes he does 3 pees in the space of ten minutes just to get more treat! So I definitely know he's smart and understands where he should do his business.

Does anyone know how we can train him not to do pees and poops for attention?

Thanks
Andrea

Puppyluv
June 16th, 2006, 09:10 AM
If he pees or poops anywhere but the newspaper, Ignore him. Do not even look at him. Clean up the mess quietly, and when you're done, leave the room, but do not go to where he is. Keep ignoring him for 5-10 minutes.

doggirl
June 19th, 2006, 03:00 PM
This is one reason I don't like paper training and would never do it. To me it's too confusing to the dog. I want them to go OUTSIDE and only outside. It's too confusing to try to teach them to go outside, but if they can't, go inside, but only on certain textures (their perception). If I were you I'd cut out the paper training and just housetrain. Take her out every hour or two, crate when home alone, don't leave her more than a couple of hours (if she is forced to go inside you will most likely have long-term housetraining problems), praise when she goes outside. She should not be going inside for attention, because she should not get any - if you correct her after the fact (ie, any time after about a second after she STARTS peeing) she will not be able to make the correct connection (response to behavior). If you find an accident - even a very fresh one - do not say a darn word to her (no attention whatsoever) AND try not to be obvious that you're ticked. Put her elsewhere while you clean it up and bring her outside more frequently. If she's 12 weeks old and not yet housetrained, DO NOT give her free run - she should be supervised AT ALL TIMES.

A saying you may not like but it's true - every time she has an accident, pick up a piece of newspaper, roll it up real tight and smack yourself on the wrist for not supervising her. Remember that every accident she has is further cementing a behavior pattern. Try to look at it a bit different - change your goal from generic "housetraining" to NO ACCIDENTS TODAY. If you're thinking that way, you'll watch her closely. Most dogs do certain behaviors RIGHT BEFORE they void (some will circle, some will pace, some will sniff the ground - watch your dog). If you see that then realize you were ALMOST too late - get her out right away and praise her when she goes outside.

Good luck.

we3beagles
June 19th, 2006, 05:30 PM
And if it is not an accident? I have an 8 year old beagle that every time it is "mommy and daddy alone time" we come down to a mess. What a brat. We have taken to putting him in his crate during these times (he likes his crate).:(

doggirl
June 19th, 2006, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't say brat, I'd say anxious...but it's something you can manage, as you have, by crating when home alone.

OHHHHH I think I just got what you are saying!! :P He does this during...private moments? :P Yikes, obviously this has an effect on him, never heard of that! I still think you're handling it well. :P

we3beagles
June 20th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Actually, its not just at those times. If I take the girls out for their pee and leave him alone for a minute he goes up and pees on my bedskirt too.:evil: It is definite spite. He is so supersmart. I'm pretty mad when it happens, but it's a little funny too.:D

jessi76
June 20th, 2006, 12:41 PM
It is definite spite.

dogs do not act out of spite. YOU may perceive it as spite, but it's not.

andy00, I don't have any doubts that your JRT is (and will be) a very smart dog, however, he is only 3 mths old. EXPECT accidents, and do not assume he KNOWS where to do his business. He is, after all, a baby.

I agree with doggirl. If it were me, I'd ditch the paper training, and just house train. I too, feel paper/pad training just confuses the dog. If you want your dog to go outside, then just use the outside. praise and treat ONLY when he goes outside.

doggirl
June 20th, 2006, 06:11 PM
dogs do not act out of spite. YOU may perceive it as spite, but it's not.

This is true, please look at this from a different perspective. Anxiety maybe; separation issues maybe; spite, definitely not. These are animals who would most certainly lay down their lives for us, mostly. They do not intentionally soil our homes, and they are not capable of premeditation as such.

we3beagles
June 22nd, 2006, 08:53 PM
I am firmly convinced that my dog is capable in fact guilty of premeditation. Posting his sister as outlook at the bottom of the stairs while he devours the garbage is outright sneakiness. :)

As for your puppy andy I agree that housetraining instead of paper training is called for unless absolutely impossible. I tried it both ways and Capone (housetrained from the start) was far more reliable than Bugsey (paper trained at first). Also, when cleaning up the mess (I know it is hard) try not to engage the puppy at all. It may be bad attention, but it is better than no attention to a dog. Continue to praise him when he goes where you want him to very enthusiastically.:thumbs up

doggirl
June 26th, 2006, 06:03 PM
OK, THAT kind of premeditation is different...I'm quite sure mine have discussions when I'm not home and tag team, keep me busy so they can take turns trying to get to the kitty litter (tootsie rolls). Grrrrrrrr! :crazy: