Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Baby Chihuahua Chokes in her Sleep

DoxieLady
June 16th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Hello. I have a female chihuahua that is 12 weeks old. Ever since we got her she seems to choke in her sleep. It sounds as if she is going to vomit and instead chokes. It gets worse as time goes by and is particualarly bad at night. She''s eating and drinking fine and otherwise acting normal. However, she sounds very hoarse when she whines. I went to the vet about it but they just told me she''ll grow out of it and it may be that her palette is too big for her mouth. It''s really bad and keeps me and her up all night so any advice would be appreciated.

mastifflover
June 16th, 2006, 07:37 AM
I really do not know much about chi's but I would suggest you do some research and see if this is common in the breed. If you got the dog from a breeder they should be able to answer your questions and I would seek a second opinion from another vet.

erykah1310
June 16th, 2006, 11:42 AM
The vets said that about Nikita too, but she still does it, not as frequently though, shes not a chi but still the same description. It has slowed down with age but like I said still happens once and a blue moon, I stay up all nite with her when she does it, it scares me!

Inverness
June 16th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Sounds like collapsed trachea.

gomez
June 17th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Gomez also does this once in a while, it lasts about 30 secs and then it stops, for weeks, sometimes for months... then there will be a week where he does it about 3-4 times... sounds like they're trying to hack something up...

He was checked for all types of stuff, like a collapsed trachea, tpp big a palate, "reverse sneeze" etc.. and it was nothing serious, apparently some dogs just do it...

If you're very concerned take your puppy for a second opinion....