Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

oh... my... gawd!!

technodoll
June 15th, 2006, 09:55 PM
In a May dispatch from Atlanta on Southerners' notoriously unnutritious, fat-laden cuisine, a Chicago Tribune reporter watered readers' mouths with descriptions of the "hamdog" and the "Luther" (prized dishes of Mulligan's restaurant in Decatur, Ga.), which are, respectively, "a half-pound of hamburger meat wrapped around a hot dog, which is deep-fried and served on a hoagie topped with chili, bacon and a fried egg," and "a half-pound burger served with bacon and cheese on a Krispy Kreme doughnut." The 11 states from Washington, D.C., to Florida, west to Texas, have the nation's highest mortality rate from strokes, but, said a University of Mississippi professor, "Food is a strong emblem of identity for Southerners," uniquely shared across racial lines. [Chicago Tribune, 5-16-06]

suddenly the fresh apricots i just bought are calling my name... :rolleyes:

jawert1
June 15th, 2006, 10:02 PM
bring on the grapes and apples, i think i'm gonna be :sick:

wdawson
June 15th, 2006, 10:12 PM
two of them over here....:D

mafiaprincess
June 15th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Someone from GA posted about them and then people got talking about deep fried twinkies and stuff. She posted pics of both so here you go.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/Mafia_Princess/Luther_small1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/Mafia_Princess/anatomy-of-a-hamdog1.jpg

She took them from
http://texasburgerguy.blogspot.com/2005/05/luther-burger-and-hamdog-pictures.html

glasslass
June 15th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Hamburger, bacon, and cheese on a Krispy Kreme doughnut doesn't even sound good!:eek: Hamdog, however, sounds pretty tasty - if you can get it in your mouth! Looks obscene! Definitely looks like a nightmare waiting to happen!

technodoll
June 15th, 2006, 10:28 PM
ok i GAGGED seeing that, no really, ask my hubby why i was retching and then he saw it and laughed in disbelief, before he turned green himself!! :yuck: :eek: :yuck:

i'm surprised the dang thing is not coated in batter and deep fried one last time! :thumbs up

mafiaprincess
June 15th, 2006, 10:29 PM
See, you need the pics to complete the horror, haha.

technodoll
June 15th, 2006, 10:31 PM
i guess i deserved that, eh? :o

Skryker
June 15th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Oh, yuck! :yuck: I can feel my arteries hardening as we speak!

Prin
June 15th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Yeah, I think I had a visual heart attack... There's a new meal at KFC that's like potatoes covered in gravy with the deep fried chicken on top and then more gravy or something... I know I have it wrong, but it's the same sort of "heart attack in one serving" type of things.:yuck:

SunGurl372
June 16th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Okay, I live down south, and you couldn't pay me to eat one of those things. We have agricultural fairs in the fall here, and they typcially have things like big smoked turkey legs, deep-fried twinkies and such.

Just too gross.....nothing more attractive than seeing someone wander around noshing on a caveman sized bone.

jawert1
June 16th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Deep fried Oreo cookies were the grossest thing I've ever seen in person, and that was at a local fair :: shudder :: Thanks for the pics, I've renewed my devotion to my workout routine and healthy groceries :)

Rick C
June 16th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Mrs. C fell in love with deep-fried pickles in San Antonio, Texas a few years ago . . . . . and when we went to New Orleans a while back there weren't a lot of salads!!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Puppyluv
June 16th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Anyone who's been to scotland knows about deep-fried mars bars :p

Frenchy
June 16th, 2006, 11:38 AM
:eek: :yuck: I'm curious to know how many calories in a hamdog???

Puppyluv
June 16th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Here's a different hamdog photo. It still looks pretty gross, but not quite as bad as the one above.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/TexasBurgerGuy/Hamdog/Hamdog_big.jpg

Frenchy
June 16th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Looks like a scene from CSI when they cut people open :yuck:

Puppyluv
June 16th, 2006, 11:47 AM
As Dr. Nicholas Lang, chief of staff of the Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System in Little Rock put it.

“It’s a major grease-transport mechanism — there’s no idea how much calories you get when you get that.”

Lang doesn’t recommend the Hamdog, even as a one-time snack.

“If you choke that down, you might as well find a heart surgeon because you are going to need one.”

Though, according to the creator:
Luther Burger: Calorie and fat count: 900 calories, 65 grams of fat. Cost (w/a side): $6.50.
Hamdog: Calorie and fat count: 1600 calories, 100 grams of fat. Cost (w/a side): $9.

dtbmnec
June 16th, 2006, 11:53 AM
So who wants to die young? Say age 30?

:p

Megan

glasslass
June 16th, 2006, 12:18 PM
big smoked turkey legs,

Just too gross.....nothing more attractive than seeing someone wander around noshing on a caveman sized bone.

I bought one at a Renaissance Faire and it was wonderful! I think it hit a deep, primal nerve! So .... satisfying!:D

jjgeonerd
June 16th, 2006, 04:08 PM
There's a new meal at KFC that's like potatoes covered in gravy with the deep fried chicken on top and then more gravy or something... I know I have it wrong, but it's the same sort of "heart attack in one serving" type of things.:yuck:

The Hamdog doesn't really appeal to me, but the new KFC chicken bowl thing sounds awesome! Chicken, corn, mashed potatoes, and gravy in a bowl :eek: mmmmmm http://bestsmileys.com/drooling/4.gif

My only complaint is they top it with cheese. :yuck: Who puts cheese on mashed potatoes and gravy? :confused: I'd order it with no cheese.

Shamrock
June 16th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Wow!! Week's caloric intake in one fell swoop!:)