Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Whats the temperature where you live?

Luba
January 9th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Right now in Toronto we are at a very very low -28 degrees celcius with the wind child factor.

Bone chilling cold!!!

Let that just be a reminder to bring your pets indoors and restrict play or walk times. When it's this cold unless you and your pet are bundled up properly, there is no need to spend lengthy times outside.

If anyone knows of animals being left out in the cold, do your part and collect them or call your local shelter for pick up!

Hot chocolate time for me!

Anyone wanna send some bottled warm weather my way....?

mona_b
January 9th, 2004, 05:23 PM
It's flipping cold here.Went to the store and my nostrils frooze..My guys where out for 5 mins then in they came.They don't like this weather at all.:(

melanie
January 9th, 2004, 05:34 PM
luba, i am sending you some warmth right now it is 9am in the morn and a very warm 28 degrees celcius outside so you can have a barrel full, and it will only get hotter today, i was watching the movie fargo last night and couldnt ever imagine living somewhere it snowed, my dog would abandon me if we lived somewhere like that. but living in such heat seems to be a prob for my dog sometimes as you know such as her heat spots, and you can never get an icecream home from the shops without being either superman or having it melt:D

Luba
January 9th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Mona you're killing me, my sides hurt! Did anyone take a picture of that, if not hold on I'm coming over (if my car starts)!!

Four people on my small street today had trouble starting their cars.

Melanie, you're sweet stuff! Would you like some frost?

lol

mona_b
January 9th, 2004, 07:43 PM
HA HA HA YOU..:p ...heheheheh

They said on the news that C A A had 500 calls from people whos cars wouldn't start...:(

It is supposed to get better on Sunday.:rolleyes:

chico2
January 10th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Lucky Melanie!!!!!Right now it's -20C.....my cats go outside with me for 5 minutes,that's it,while I feed the birds and squirrels...bought a birdbath-heater,great for our feathered friends,no more ice in the bird-bath...and they flock to it.

Spoiled
January 10th, 2004, 10:20 AM
It is cold in Canada. The main problem I have is with scooping the poop. I recentley thought up of this one: Have a bucket of warm-hot water ready to pour over the poop with a cup. The poop should melt out almost instantly!:)

LavenderRott
January 10th, 2004, 11:39 AM
DAMN COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luba
January 10th, 2004, 01:41 PM
chico where did u get the bird bath heater and how much was it?

chico2
January 10th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Luba,after looking for one for a long time,my pet-food supplier "Ren's PetDepot" finally got some in.The store is at Trafalgar rd/Burnhamthorpe here in Oakville,it was $45+tax,hubby just about had a heartattack,but he sees now it is well worth it.
The heater was kept in the same area as pond-heaters,but of course it was smaller.
I am watching the birds having baths afraid they'll get out and turn to ice:D but so far so good.

melanie
January 10th, 2004, 05:36 PM
WOW, OMG, bird bath heaters! melting dog poo! boy do you guys have it tough, it just blows my mind thinking of such cold weather. i have the oposite gadgets for warm weather, i have a dog mat that goes in the freezer to cool her down, and im constantly putting ice in her water bucket for my girl, and buy her special natural ice blocks to chew on, but she is still really hot, poor thing. if it gets to 15 degree celcius here i head into hibernation, i would just die where you are, i am a summer bunny and like my heat alot better (although 40 celcius is a little much), and luba our cars dont freeze, just overheat and leave you stranded baking on the side of the h'way (no airconditioning either) so please send a bag of frost, oh it would probably melt to. well keep warm and snuggle up, im sending lots of warm vibes your way:D :D :D

Luba
January 10th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Melanie we get all of that in the summer here, hot humid and sticky!! So I completely know what u go through!

Chico, how does that heater work? Do you attach it to your bird bath? Does it have to be a certain bird bath, like stone or ceramic?

Geeze mom wanted to get one and thats actually pretty cheap....hmmmn. Can you give the name of the company on the box for me and I can find out if theres somewhere around here they distribute to?

Much thanks

Only -13deg celcius right now
we actually went up a few degrees!!

LMAO

chico2
January 11th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Luba.It works very well and I don't think it matters what kind of birdbath you have as long as it is about 2-3 inches deep.My bird-bath is concrete,but I am sure it works as well with plastic.The heater does not get all that hot,just enough to keep the water from totally freezing.Unfortunately I don't have any box or such anymore,but you could call Ren's Petdepot and ask them who the supplier is at(905-257-4611)or better yet,I'll call tomorrow,when the owner is in.

daisy18216
January 11th, 2004, 09:34 AM
It's 9 degrees here and we're expected to get snow tonight and tonights temp is going to be 19.

BRRRRRRRRRRRR! How much longer till spring and the nice weather??

My dogs hate it. They go outside and pee as fast as they can then they want to come back in. Then 5-10 min. later they want to go back outside to go poop.

Luba
January 11th, 2004, 12:17 PM
daisy it's warmin up here...its only -4 yippie

chico you are the bestest!

Luba
January 14th, 2004, 02:09 AM
-31 with the windchill tonight folks

ahhh
thats cold!

Toronto

Carina
January 14th, 2004, 03:40 AM
It's 3:30 am here in dark SE Michigan, and about 15 degrees (I don't understand celcius, so that's the other one. :) )

My dogs love this cold weather! Rotties don't do real well in heat, but mine love winter. There's a fast running creek near my house, and it doesn't freeze totally over until Feb or so, right now just the edges are iced up. Cooper actually jumps into it and wades around! Then he gets out and his wet fur freezes, but that probably insulates him.

Melanie, the dog poo freezes for weeks and weeks unless it's picked up right away (I'm not good at that, and we have about 1/4 acre fenced so it's way off along a distance fenceline.) But it's totally gross when it melts, ewwww yuck.

TomCat
January 14th, 2004, 01:06 PM
It has just gotten colder her in Maryland. Mid 30's with snow on the way for tonight.
20's for the rest of the week.:)

daisy18216
January 14th, 2004, 01:40 PM
It's already snowing here. :(

I love snow, but I hate driving in it.

Luba
January 14th, 2004, 02:01 PM
We are getting pounded with snow right now

But it is sooo beautiful :D

I just took this from my front steps!!

Heather MH
January 14th, 2004, 02:29 PM
I'm jealous - that is a beautiful picture.
We don't have really any snow right now we had one big dump back in November, but not to much since. I agree with Daisy I love snow but I hate driving in it. I live 20 minutes out side of Calgary so I have to fight with the higways when it gets bad.

Today is suppose to get up to 11 degrees. It cloudy though, I like it, its cozy in a way.

Have fun playing in the snow.

melanie
January 14th, 2004, 03:40 PM
oh luba, that is beautiful, you are pretty lucky to have such a view from your front door, but do keep warm, i imagine you could get some pretty nasty colds there.. frozen poo just blows my mind, i just couldnt imagine it, i told a friend about this conversation and they said why not let the poo melt (well we live in OZ, so we have no idea, it does snow in some parts but that is far from us), now i think about it that would be a real mess, but lucky for us it has cooled down a bit here, around 26 degrees c and that is 80 farenheit so we are greatful for the relief:D :D

Luba
January 14th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Heather don't worry you'll get it soon enuf my friend!

Melanie, it is beautiful isn't it. It's about 6:30 in the evening and it's been snowing non stop pretty much since noon. Heavy at some times, the snow drifts from the wind are really really deep.

The only good thing is that it isn't wet snow so shovelling it is like shovelling fluffy white powder.

I'll be out there shovelling later on and I'll try to take some night pictures too :D

Ohhh let me tell u a story about frozen poop!

About 4/5 yrs ago it was so cold for almost two weeks it was so darn hard to get the poop off the ground. I tried shovels but it was frozen solid.

I ended up just covering the piles with snow so nobody would see, it does look grosse. Then when it unfroze I was gonna pick it up.

Anyway my NEIGHBOUR called the city animal control inspectors on me. Bugger head. Was I mad. I had to explain to the guy that I couldn't unstick it cause it was frozen, I went outside with a shovel and showed him. HE was a bit of a arse though and told me I had 72 hours to have it all picked up or I would receive a bylaw fine for I think $90 bux.

OHHHH was I happy to see my neighbour (I knew which one it was too)

Anyway I ended up having to use buckets of hot water to melt the poop from the ground, and even then it didn't come up as it was so cold the water froze instantly.

I just left it until thaw and was happy arse didn't come back to fine me!
PEOPLE! sheesh for about 5 terrier sized piles of doggie poop.

chico2
January 15th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Wow,talk about snow!!It's beautiful outside about 1 foot of snow..I too will take some pics today,unfortunately it will also be -20C.
Luba is talking about complaining neighbors,I have a neighbor complaining about everything,from leaves from my trees blowing into her yard(she has none left,trees that is),to me feeding the birds and squirrels....I know what she needs:-)But I suggested she does the same and she would be a happier kinder person for it,maybe the pesticide she puts on her perfect lawn is getting to her.No one has come out to directly say it,but I believe pesticide on the grass harms both cats,dogs and our wildlife and probably miserable neighbors.
Luba you have a great sense of humour,thank's for the morning smile..what's one pile of frozen poop,from one neighbor to the other
:D

Lucky Rescue
January 15th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Last night it was -35 here.:( The snow on my property is well above my knees. Power outages kept me stoking the woodstove all day yesterday.

Thank goodness my dog Chloe got her new coat and warm boots.

For anyone who has dogs with frozen tootsies, I highly recommend "MuttLuks."

MUTTLUKS (www.muttluks.com)

They're expensive, but very well worth it!

TomCat
January 15th, 2004, 11:49 AM
We missed the snow here in Maryland, USA. It is in the 30's though.I love the picture of the snow coming down that was posted.:)

Luba
January 15th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Well since you missed the snow in Maryland, I thought I'd show you what it amounted to here in Toronto haha!

Taken ten mins ago.

Luba
January 15th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Just one more pretty blue winter sky against the snowy pine :D