Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Strange front leg conditions

Grazia02
June 15th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Hello,
My sister has a 5 year old Lab/Huskey mix with strange walking behaviors. About 6 months ago when my sister moved into their new house she noticed "Grazia" (the mix) limping with her right front leg. The vet said that it wasn't that big of deal and that the tendons might be a bit sore due to the back porch not yet having stairs and Graz being a little over weight. Well, we have done everything the vet asked, losing 20 lbs, exercising and adding stairs, but it seems to have gotten worse. I also noticed that even though she limps with her right leg, when she stands or sits still she places all of her weight on it as if the left one hurts and then it has a tremble and shakes as she is sitting or standing. She is thinking of x-rays because both breeds are known for hip and elbow dysplasia, but then she has to deal with her pitbulls seperation anxiety. Are we worrying over nothing or could it be something serious? If it is something serious is there something to do or will Graz just have to live with it?

BMDLuver
June 15th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Could very well be cancer as well which will show up on xray. I would suggest doing at least one xray.

jawert1
June 15th, 2006, 05:27 PM
It's time for a vet checkup and an xray, as for your sister's other dog having SA, I deal with the same thing with my 2 (one has a hideous case of it, the other does not). When I have to take Peaches (one without SA) to the vet, I either take Simon (one with SA) along (my vet accomodates this) or I have a friend come over and sit with him or he goes to my ex's until I'm done with Peach. In any case, this is a condition that's getting worse so I would def. recommend getting Grazia in for an appointment.

pitgrrl
June 15th, 2006, 06:21 PM
One of my dogs had an on again off again limp for many months last year. It turned out to just be a muscle injury which never had enough time to heal, but I was really happy to have gotten xrays done (for which his brother had to be present, otherwise they both would have been horrible to deal with :D ) just to make sure we were in the clear for more serious problems. I actually wish that's where I had started, rather than waiting.