Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New raw feeders - any updates for us?

technodoll
June 15th, 2006, 08:41 AM
i'd love to hear about your experiences with the raw diet so far, good and bad :)

we've decided to put our boy back on raw, with holistic kibble set out in the mornings for day snacks if he wants any. remember, this is the dog that turned his nose up at raw last October. Well he's now eating less and less kibble no matter what i do with it, he is sooo thin it's embarassing... he's been showing lots of interest in my girl's raw food the past couple of weeks, and last night they devoured a 4 lbs chicken between the two of them, i was very surprised but so pleased :D OK for dessert they shared half a loaf of frozen french bread (piggies and bad hippie mommy for letting them have all those grains!).

thank goodness fresh whole chickens are on sale this week, i'll go stock up more tonight... and make a trip to the butcher's this weekend for more pork and goat roasts. All this is still cheaper than kibble and all the stuff i had to mix in to get him to eat it... yť! :king:

Puppyluv
June 15th, 2006, 09:35 AM
I still consider myself a new raw feeder-- been at it for just over a month now. Some things are going great, some not so great. Layla is a fish-a-holic, and I'm still trying to figure out if she's getting too much fish. If I layed out the juiciest steak and only a half-decent fish, she would choose the fish hands down. (I don't give her half-decent food, but you get the idea). She can't stand raw eggs or shells... she'll eat a cooked egg, but mix raw egg into something, and all of a sudden it's tainted, and inedible. She loves green tripe, I hate it, she wins :p. She only eats on her mat!! YAY!! No more gross carpet for me!
Her fur is shinier than ever, she still sheds a tonne, that's never going to change, her poops are nice and small and compact, but I can tell if I've messed up the food that week, because it will smell drastically different.
She has a tonne of energy, but this isn't new....:D
Umm that's all i can think of right now. But it's going really well :thumbs up

SarahLynn123
June 15th, 2006, 11:13 AM
We will be starting saturday morning. If there's any problems with the dogs not eating it, it will be Belle. She's not a big eater and always looks bored with whatever is in her dish. Hopefully that will be different with raw though!

I was cutting up steak for a stir-fry yesterday and gave the dogs each a small piece and 2 of them wouldn't leave me alone after that. Belle ate it and liked it, but wasn't to upset that it was gone, the other 2 were going through all the tricks they knew in hopes that they could get one more little piece!!!

I think it will be great, and I will update on monday and let everyone know how the weekend was.

Thanks
Sarah

technodoll
June 15th, 2006, 01:46 PM
puppyluv, if we can meet during your coffee break (giggle!), maybe we can chat about raw feeding? wish my dogs liked fish, it's sooo good for them! :)

meb999
June 15th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Well, I gave Buster a full chicken leg (skinned)...day before yesterday and he was puking and had diarhea all day yesterday, and he didn't eat yesterday either....He wasn't nearly as sick as when I first fed him a recreational beef bone, but still....
I know I should try it again but with probiotics...but I don't think I'm ready for this...I hate seeing him sick, it breaks my heart!

So I went out and bought him a trial size bag of the new wellness (they re-tweeked their formula). I'm going to give that another shot!

Good to all the new raw feeders...I'm glad it's working out for you!

technodoll
June 15th, 2006, 03:12 PM
awe poor buster... happens to some dogs (not often, but it does) that they just can't handle raw well at first.. if you ever want to try again, he would need to be fasted for 24 hours to completely clear his system of any kibble, and then perhaps given some ground raw (home-made or pre-made) as it's easier to digest, with some digestive enzymes added to help things along even more. Lean meats are best in the beginning for those sensitive-tummy dogs. At least you tried! :highfive:

meb999
June 15th, 2006, 03:16 PM
awe poor buster... happens to some dogs (not often, but it does) that they just can't handle raw well at first.. if you ever want to try again, he would need to be fasted for 24 hours to completely clear his system of any kibble, and then perhaps given some ground raw (home-made or pre-made) as it's easier to digest, with some digestive enzymes added to help things along even more. Lean meats are best in the beginning for those sensitive-tummy dogs. At least you tried! :highfive:

I know I didn't really give it enough of a try (just once isn't enough...) and I know it can up to a few months to fully detox their bodies...but I'm such a hypochondriac, and such a worrywort :o Ideally would be to take him to a raw farm for a week or two and get them to do the switch :p but then I'd miss him too much!!!
I will give it another try, maybe in a few weeks...or months...or years!! LOL!

Copper'sMom
June 15th, 2006, 08:12 PM
My kids are doing awesome! 2 weeks on Saturday. No problems with their poop - it's sooo great! They eat everything just fine. I have to chop up Zoe's red meat as it makes it easier for her to eat it. if it's too big, she'll walk away from it. They are now having their chicken leg quarters with skin on - it has been skinless for the last week. They have had beef heart, chicken leg quarters,stewed beef, butt chops(just started 3 days ago), liver and chicken organs and gizzards. We will try sardines maybe on the weekend. Oh they also had raw eggs - no shells - i just can't bear(sp?) to feed the shells to them!

Copper gets sooo excited everytime I stand at the kitchen counter! He absolutley loves all of it! They are doing well with staying in the kitchen to eat. They each try to sneak off to the living room or bedroom to eat their chicken though:rolleyes: Copper was always taught to eat his "treats" on a blanket - so this is why he heads for the livingroom!

For 2 weeks, I've spent about $120.00 - way too much, but this is mostly at the grocery store - and i splurged on some expensive beef! I also have 2 small chickens and 9 lbs of butt chops, and liver left over. As soon as I get my prices from the butcher, it should be much cheaper. I did get 10lbs of butt chops for $14.00 - not bad I think!

So, I put a little kibble down tonight to see if they would eat it.................oh for sure they did! I think they'll eat just about anything!

Copper is eating 1.5lbs/day - he's on a diet so I'm feeding him according to his IDEAL weight! And Zoe gets 1lb/day.

I'm feeding 60%RMB's, 35% Muscle meats and 5% organs. At maximum I need - 50lbs of RMB's 30lbs Muscle meats and 3 lbs of organs/MONTH! Not too bad!

technodoll
June 15th, 2006, 09:03 PM
oh that is so lovely to hear! was :eek: to read about the prices, but hey i did that too the first few months until i figured it all out :thumbs up now that we've put our big boy back on raw, we need about 4 lbs of meat (with and without bone) per day between the two dogs... however they don't eat that much, i wish they did! at an average of $1/pound, costs us $120 per month to feed the two big dogs (he weighs 110, she weighs 64 and still growing puppy). but in reality it's more like $100 since some days they don't eat much at all.
Of course they also get canned fish (only when on sale or from the dollar store), they love leftover frozen bread bits, dinner leftovers, bits of cheese, etc. It would cost us less if i fed more stripped chicken backs (i can get a 30 lbs case of fresh backs for $8) but there is not enough meat, too boney, and i prefer them to have a more balanced diet even if that means less restaurant dinners for us, LOL! :o

Puppyluv
June 15th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Egad that's a lot of money! Layla only eats a pound a day, which is actually a lot for her size- she's only 35 lbs, but she has a super fast metabolism and is extremely active, so she needs this much just to maintain her weight. I have found that her tolerance to bone is a little lower than the reccomended 10-15%, any more than 7-8% and she gets seriously white hard poops. :yuck:
I'm still convinced my dog is from the sea though. She got some shrimp today and she was in heaven.

Lissa
June 16th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Is anybody following their dog's progress by taking CBC's and blood panels etc?

Dodger's been back on raw for 3 months now... As a puppy he couldn't handle the bones but now that he's accepted the apple cider vinegar and perhaps his tum-tum has gotten stronger as an adult, he's doing wonderfully.
I have said this all before but his teeth are white now (they use to have loads of plaque), no more "dog smell/dog breath", shiny coat, less and solid poop and NO GAS. It just proves to me how much healthier he is on BARF!

When I first started, I spent $100 in the first month, now its down to $10-20 a month because the majority of "start up" costs are things that will last for at least 4-6 months (ex: oils, kelp, BIG visit to the butcher)... My estimate is that the BARF diet will cost $350 a year MAX wheras kibble was costing at least $600:eek: (and was basically destroying his health)

To be honest, I was expecting an increase in activity (that's what happened with our old dog) but I haven't noticed a huge change. But I think it's because Dodger was so active to begin (he does need about 3lbs of food a day because he is s active). For Dodger and I, there has been NO disadvatage by feeding raw - he will eat absolutely anything I prepare him - will take it all from my hand, even the spinach (when he was on kibble as an adult the only fresh fruit/vegetable he'd eat was carrots)

I am so happy because I also found a butcher that sells bison - its expensive but a great treat for Dodger!;)

technodoll
June 16th, 2006, 01:17 PM
man it's my dream to find a source of good, cheap meats and RMBs for my little boogers... they will eat just about anything (but hate all fruits & veggies, go figure) but they will not touch the cheap chicken legs, i have to grind those & mix with cooked liver. feh. you are lucky to have such an unfussy dog!

so nice to hear things are going well for you, yayyy! :thumbs up

ps: had complete bloodwork done on my bitch prior to her spay, she was just over 6 mths and on raw for 3, everything top-shape. i'll get it done again in the winter on both dogs just to be sure. after that, it's smooth sailing!

Lissa
June 16th, 2006, 01:43 PM
We should all share a sample menu of what we give our dogs on any given day...I will write one when I get home! :)

you are lucky to have such an unfussy dog!

so nice to hear things are going well for you, yayyy! :thumbs up

Thanks Technodoll - I am lucky that Dodger isn't fussy about BARF... Even though the mix of food looks gross to me, he is so eager about BARF that he didn't even turn his nose up when I accidently added WAY too much apple cider vinegar:p

I also have to say that I completely agree with you about fasting at least 24 hours before putting your dog on BARF...I think it is a key component for the diet to be successful!

When I was at the park today a rude passerby said "why would anyone feed a hound raw food! Since he is a natural hunter it will make him worse!" I can't believe that people actually think like that:confused:

technodoll
June 16th, 2006, 01:56 PM
When I was at the park today a rude passerby said "why would anyone feed a hound raw food! Since he is a natural hunter it will make him worse!" I can't believe that people actually think like that

yeah... these are the kinds of people who think Bush is doing a great job in Irak... who believe dobermen's brains explode from too-small skulls... that pitbulls have a special "locking mechanism" in their jaws... that there are no starving children in china and that cancer was invented by atheists. ya know? :cool:

Esaunders
June 16th, 2006, 03:01 PM
You should have seen the happy face on my pup last night as he gnawed away on a whole pork hock. Eyes half closed in ecstasy as he worked away at it with his back teeth. :cool:

He's really enjoying this kibble in the am, raw in the pm plan.

Its hysterical though. He is determined to bury any good sized pieces for around 5-10 minutes before eating it. Its like he's marinating it or something.

If he's stuck in his crate to eat, he whines in frustration :sad: while trying to 'bury' the piece by pushing the air with his nose. If I remove him from the crate and lock him out with the meat still inside for 5-10 minutes then he's fine.

Crazy puppy :crazy:

technodoll
June 16th, 2006, 04:59 PM
LOL! esaunders, that's too funny! never know what goes on in a dog's head sometimes :rolleyes:

SarahLynn123
June 19th, 2006, 09:55 AM
We started the new diet on saturday and so far so good!

Wolf (Pomeranian) the first to jump in and give it a go!, He loves it and it's pretty amazing what he can crunch through. He does have to eat in his crate because of his possesiveness though, better safe then sorry!

Shadow (GSD) was the second to go for it, she was a little unsure at first, but after some reassurance that this chunck of chicken was her breakfast, she layed down and went to town on it! She has only been told once to eat on her mat and never goes a mm off!

Belle (cocker X) licked her chunck twice and layed down in defeat, so I cut it up into bite size pieces and she seemed happy with that. Sunday was a different story though, she didn't want any chicken at all. (She never really cared for it cooked either!) She doesn't like raw eggs either but a can of tuna was a hit for supper. This morning I poured a little bit of tuna juice over her cut up chicken pieces and she gobbled it all up! I think hse is going to be a fish girl!

I haven't been on the poop hunt yet in the back yard, but the didn't go when they went for walks, which is really rare.

Shadow has some pretty nasty gas, but she's always been a gassy girl, so we are passing it off to a diet change nad her body is adjusting.

I will keep everyone updated as to how this week goes!

Sarah

technodoll
June 20th, 2006, 08:00 PM
wonderful! keep those updates coming! :crazy: