Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

For you coffee lovers

technodoll
June 14th, 2006, 10:16 PM
How do you like your caffeine? i couldn't live without our electric espresso machine, nothing like a frothy hot latte first thing in the morning, LOL! but on occasion i do like (gasp!) instant coffee... hate, hate, hate tim horton's stuff - tastes like water run through a lumberjack's wool sock - and am not fond of drip coffee in general... LOOOVE iced lattes (shot of espresso, cold milk, ice cubes) in the summer... so what's your brew?
ps: favorite beans come from La Vieille Europe on St-Laurent Blvd, or from Brulerie St-Denis... always looking for new tastes though! :thumbs up

Puppyluv
June 14th, 2006, 10:32 PM
i drink my coffee strong, black, untainted by milk, cream or sugar. My fave drink is a triple ristretto espresso, but once in a while I will drink a cappuccino, but never more than 8 oz of it, or else the ratio of coffee to milk to foam is wrong. Best coffee? Kicking horse, http://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/ but you can;t get it out here :'(
Best montreal cafe? Caffe Art Java. They truly understand coffee, and it's so pretty tooo...http://www.caffeartjava.com/
Absolutely can't stand tim hortons, it tastes like piss in a cup. If you like Tim's you don't know what coffee should taste like.
Don't like those sugary blended drinks either. If it's really hot out and I just need a coffee, I will have a iced 1/2 sweet vanilla blended late. (coffee shops that make blended drinks will actually blend any of their iced drinks, you just have to ask, which no one does, because years and years ago, they wouldn't).
Umm a certain coffee shop at which I work serves mediocre coffee... shhhh I didn't say that.... they have a few good roasts, but their espresso is only good if its ordered "ristretto". Their good coffees are the expensive ones, but imo worth it, as the cheaper ones are lacking.
I prefer dark roasts and espressos, but if I REALLY need the caffeine I will have a light roast coffee (the darker the roast, the less caffeine, as well as, the shorter the brew time, the less caffeine).
Ok enough coffee snobery by me:o

technodoll
June 14th, 2006, 10:38 PM
puppyluv i ADORE Cafe Art Java on Mont-Royal ave!! they make kick@ss lattes, and yes so pretty too. what a machine eh? and pretty sweet lunch deals too. :D oh and another thing, my coffee has to be served boiling hot (need to see steam rise and feel it burn my tongue) or ice-cold. none of that lukewarm crap! :yuck:
i actually make my own cold stuff in the summer... brew up a few batches of espresso, stick in the fridge in airtight container, and when the urge hits, mix with 1% milk (the ratio is up to me!) and stir in ice cubes... aaaaaaaaah. We have a Breville and it's a great bang for the buck.

jawert1
June 14th, 2006, 11:05 PM
LOL actually I grew up with a coffee afficianado in my house and I absolutely love Tim's. Maybe I'm just fond of lumberjack sock brew :p I've tried coffee from every corner of the globe and yes, there's one particular bean from Yemen that's to die for, and at the price they want per pound (not including shipping) you might as well, but it's heavenly. Espresso literally eats a hole in my stomach so I have to steer clear of just about anything served at the most prolific coffee place in the states :)

Prin
June 14th, 2006, 11:40 PM
I don't like the taste of coffee, but after working in a café for a while, I got used to the smell of good coffee... I can tell if what you're drinking tastes like crap. :D

My man gets his delicious smelling coffee at Faema on St-Laurent and Jean Talon. You tell them what brand your machine is and they grind it for that, whether it's filter or an espresso machine. I also bought my dad an espresso grinder there (also set for his machine). The coffee is a bit expensive $17/kg and up, but my man doesn't drink it too often, so it lasts a while.

Skryker
June 15th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Not much of a coffee drinker-I'm a tea person-but my husband is. He's a Tim's regular, not because it's so good but because it's consistent. He patiently used to try to explain this to a friend who went on and on about how bad Tim's is. Hubby's reply: "Yes, but it's consistently bad, so I know what to expect whether I'm in Hamilton or Guelph or wherever."

That way, he's not shocked by awful coffee, I guess. :p

chico2
June 15th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Love the smell of freshly brewed coffe,the stronger the better,no sugar,no milk...
I agree Technodoll,Tim Hortons coffee is dishwater:yuck:
One of my pet-peeves is Tim Horton cups,not a day goes by that I don't pick up at last one cup off my lawn:evil:
Like cell-phones,it seems walking around,or driving with a TH-cup in your hand,is a dire necessity these days:mad:

jessi76
June 15th, 2006, 09:11 AM
my bf & I have coffee-wars at home. I like it strong, he likes it weak. we should really just set up 2 pots, one for me, one for him. we each make our own coffee in the morning to take with us to work, I make extra, so after I fill my travel cup, I refridgerate the rest for ice coffee later.

When I'm on the go, I just hit Dunkins. I prefer starbucks, but as shocking as this will sound, there are NONE anywhere near where I live or work. Since there's a Dunkin Donuts on just about every corner, I just go there. It's not great, but it's affordable. and when you drink ice coffee by the gallon like me during the summer, the affordable coffee wins.

Puppyluv
June 15th, 2006, 09:30 AM
If anyone in montreal wants a free drink of good or crappy coffee, I'll gladly give it to them, but the only way I'll recognize you is if you bring your doggy in (which is allowed...westmount afterall need not follow health codes when it comes to customers:eek: )

technodoll
June 15th, 2006, 09:34 AM
are you serious? man i'd love to meet you... if you tell me where in westmount (street corners?) and when you usuall work... i'll pop in with my two :D all they will want is some cold water, LOL!

Puppyluv
June 15th, 2006, 09:38 AM
I get my next set of hours on saturday, so I'll let you know then, I keep treats on me too (usually wellness ones) so treats and water are always available :)
it's the uhh.. prolific multinational siren-symboled coffee shop one store over from the corner of Sherbrooke and Clairemont. (Think Vendome Metro)

technodoll
June 15th, 2006, 09:49 AM
ha ha, i was there just last Sunday having a drink at the Claremont, one of my best friends lives just aroung the corner :p what a small world... you can PM me if you want, would love to drive over & meet you in person. at least you'd know what the doggies look like, right? no need to recognize me, teehee! :D

LianneCatherine
June 15th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Well...that all sounds like a bunch of hoo-ha to a Marylander such as myself. I don't know what Tim's or any other wool sock-filtered coffee is.

I used to have a very VERY strong addiction to Starbucks, and still enjoy it occasionally, but it's just so expensive that I had to switch. Okay all you coffee aficionados, get ready to throw your wool socks at me--I've switched to Columbian blend at MCDONALDS. :eek:

Not as bad as you would think, and much cheaper than Starbucks! On the weekends though, I go for the good stuff. :p

BoxerRescueMTL
June 15th, 2006, 02:36 PM
My SO's favourite appliance is our Rancilio espresso machine. We get our beans from Union Cafe on Jean Talon usually.
Best coffee? Kicking horse, http://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/ but you can;t get it out here :'(
Yes you can!! We get it all the time at Loblaws in the organic section.
I love the dirty taste of Tim Horton's coffee on road trips though :D
If anyone in montreal wants a free drink of good or crappy coffee, I'll gladly give it to them, but the only way I'll recognize you is if you bring your doggy in (which is allowed...westmount afterall need not follow health codes when it comes to customers )
Next time Chris has his chiro appointment down the street maybe Dudley and I will stop by too :)

Puppyluv
June 15th, 2006, 02:40 PM
oh boxerrescue, you just made my day! I am going on a trip to loblaws now!

glasslass
June 15th, 2006, 08:37 PM
I'm afraid I'm not that gourmet either. I like a bargain so I buy the San Francisco Bay French Roast beans from Costco. Hubby loads the Cuisinart before going to bed. 15 minutes before my alarm goes off in the morning, it grinds the beans and brews the coffee. I love waking up to a freshly brewed cup. No waiting! And yes, the aroma is heavenly, but why does it smell like washing an ashtray when I'm emptying the grounds and washing the pot? :yuck: I've never figured that out!