Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Cat is peeing on my bed....Help

Jen S.
June 14th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Help.... My cat of 3 years (Spot) has just started to pee on my bed and once with me in it.I can't understand it, she sleeps with me, why would she pee where she sleeps? She has been spayed about 4 years. I have taken her to the Vet again today and they are keeping her over night to do a Urine sample and a bladder x-ray to see if she has something medically wrong with her. Her pee smells kind of moldy, and I have been working all day at getting the urine out of my latex mattress. I have used Natures Miracle and it seems to be working. Anything else I can do?

Here is the deal. I have had Spot for three years and she is a very clean cat, never any messes other then the occasional vomiting from eating to fast. About one year ago we adopted a 4 month old cat (Gizmo) that was abandoned. He was emaciated and had been in some kind of accident or some kind of animal got a hold of him and dislocated and torn his tail. The Vet had to remove his tail, neuter him and give antibiotics which gave him VERY loose stools, we nursed him back to health and had to keep him in a half bath for about a month until we got his "poop issues" under control. The two cats had a rough start but now the will sleep in the same chair together and for the most part get along well. BUT Now a year later Gizmo seems to torment Spot every time she goes to use the liter box in our half bath. I have two liter boxes in the same room. I went out a bought another one to put in another room in the hopes that he leaves her alone. I really think that she is afraid to use the litter box because he torments her 4 out of 5 times that she uses it. She has pooped once and peed twice in the house in the past week. What can I do to help her? What can I do to teach him not to go after her when she heads to the litter box. I don't want to do anything that will make him afraid to use the litter box either.... HELP I am at wits end and I love these two cats with all my heart but can't handle the peeing on the bed ( or anywhere other then the litter box for that matter) Help.....

badger
June 14th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Hmmm, tough one. You've tried everything I would have suggested. I suppose you could put Gizmo on Rescue Remedy to see if it would calm him down.
I'm not crazy about spray bottles but it may be worth a try.

LibbyP
June 14th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Hi Jen S. If you find anything out about helping this problem pls share it, I have two cats right now that have been doing the same things, 'Ruby' has now taken to peeing on the dog beds, bathroom mats, and it drives me and the hubby :crazy: The vets say that she is just (pissed) off:mad:

Jen S.
June 14th, 2006, 08:21 PM
I go back to the Vet tomorrow to pick her up, so if they can give me more insight I will be happy to share. He did mention today that if there is nothing Med. wrong with her then she must be MAD :mad: about something...but what???? Only thing I can think of is that Gizmo has made potty time a fearful time for her. I will add a third litter box upstairs in hopes that he will leave her alone. In some ways I hope she has a UTI at least that would explaine her issues and we can fix it right away, if not then it may just be a guessing game ...and a very expensive one at that. I am keeping my :fingerscr

cpietra16
June 14th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Jen S, this may not help. But my foster cat took to pooping behind the piano ever since one of my other Kitty decided to attack while in the little box. Now I can't get her to poop anywhere close to the box...:confused: I am trying to place the box closer to the piane but she seemd to associate the box with the attack...I understand your dilemma

Mrs. McArthur
June 14th, 2006, 09:07 PM
My mom is going through this with her two cats. The vet told her the same thing that one cat is upset about something. She also said it is a dominace issue. There is a product called fellow way (not sure how to spell but that is how it sounds when said). My mom has been using it and it has some pharamones that a mother cat gives off and it helps to relax the "upset" cat. It costs about $70 a month (canadian). Ask your vet and see what he/she says. Hope this helps:fingerscr

Janoro
June 15th, 2006, 04:03 PM
I know that you said that your cat is at the vet...so hopefully they will be able to tell if it's sick or not. My close friend got a kitten and when it was about 6 months old it started to pee on her bed. She couldn't figure out why because nothing in it's life had changed and she slept with her in the bed. She brought her to the vet and they discovered that she had a very severe bladder infection. They put her on antibiotics and she stopped peeing on the bed, believe it or not. The vet said it was her way of telling her that something was wrong. Hope this helps!

Jen S.
June 15th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Well the Vet ran some test on Spot and she is a healthy girl, no UTI or any other UT problems. He believes that she is afraid to use the litter box downstairs too. I now have one for her upstairs. She has only been home about 2 hours and she has already christened it. I left the top off so she doesn't feel confined and if Gizmo gets to close she can jump out in any direction. I am working hard to correct his behavior but he is a stubborn little guy. Can't hate him for it since it must be what keep him alive when he was on his own. I have one problem with spraying him.... he LOVES the water. Yup you heard me, he jumps in the shower with me and play in the sink. I think if I spray him he with think it is a fun game. I don't know maybe it will be just enough to distract him from her so she can do her thing in peace. Thank everyone for the suggestions!!
I will keep you posted on how I make out in the next few days. Spot thanks you too !

dtbmnec
June 15th, 2006, 07:54 PM
cats work best through rewards right? spraying him with water would be a reward....therefore spray him when he's in HIS litter box and not in Spots....would that help? Either that or you could try giving him a bath or something afterwards....:confused:

I could be on crack or something too....*shrugs* (Apparently my friend's COMPUTER sells it....:p)

Megan

Sugarpop69
June 16th, 2006, 02:07 PM
We went through this too... My first suggestion is to keep the door closed so the cat CAN'T pee on your bed. Because when ours was doing it, he wasn't doing it just ANYWHERE... he only did it THERE. We locked him out and used a few doses of the Nature's Miracle to get the odor out. After a couple of month's of being banned from the bedroom, he forgot that the bed was his "place" to pee. Sounds stupid, but...

In the meantime we put him on valium to ease his fear issues. (If I knew then what I know now about ferile rescue... I tell ya!)