i wonder how many will get this, LOL! :crazy:

1. Excuse me! - Eille!
2. I don't believe it. Ben wéyon don.
3. What's new? - Pis?
4. Check that out. - Garsa
5. Look at her. - Gar ladon

6. Look at him. - Gar lédon
7. Do you believe me? - Tume crétu?
8. Do you think I care? Quesse tu veux ksam fasse?
9. Only - Yinque.
10. With that? - Aickssa?

11. Me and You. - Moé pis Toé
12. I'm gonna yell at him. - M'a y parler dans'l'casse.
13. I'm gonna beat him up. M'a yarranger a face.
14. I'm gonna beat him up. - M'a ty crisser'n'volé.
15. You're kidding me! - Vadontoé!
17. I was scared. - Jé eu la chienne.
18. Get out of there. - Aute toé d'la.
20. What are you doing? - Kessé tufai?

21. I 'm spaced out. - Chudanlune.
22. Right there. - Drette la.
23. Don't go out of your way. - Bawde toézempa.
24. Let's say. - Meton.
25. Can you believe it? - Tatu d'javusa?

26. Move your it! - Anweille!
27. It looks that way. - Sadlairasah.
28. I tell you. - Chtedi.
29. I am so confused. - Chtout fourré.
30. I am so tired. - J'cogne des clous.

31. Look at that guy. - Chek moélédon.
32. A lot of trouble. - Un chârdemarde.
33. It's because. - Stacose.
34. Anyway. - Antéka.
35. That's enough. - Stacé.

36. See you later. - motte woère talleur.
37. Relax! - Cammtoué!
39. She's crying. - A braille.
40. Make believe. - S'fairacraire.

41. I'm in trouble.- Chudanmarde.
42. This is it. - Datsitte.

Writing4Fun
June 14th, 2006, 04:15 PM
http://www.discodelic.netfirms.com/happy-rotfl4.gif http://www.discodelic.netfirms.com/happy-uplaugh.gif

catsnatcher-CDN
June 14th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Ben wéyon don!!!! Je l'cherche ca fait des mois!!!!!

Merci!

BMDLuver
June 14th, 2006, 05:46 PM
lol... that reminded me of something a good friend of ours always said in his best quebecois accent when ordering breakfast in an anglophone neighboorhood... "two eggs side by each and a pair of toasts"..

Gotta love Quebec. :thumbs up

Stacer
June 14th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I don't get it:D Aw, i hate missing out on the french jokes.

Prin
June 14th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Just sound them out. They're just the French version of things like "S'up" or "whatchadoin'". You know?

But yeah, I'm living with somebody who says most of those at least once a day.:D

And this one "Quesse tu veux kshte dziz?" (what do you want me to say?):D

catsnatcher-CDN
June 14th, 2006, 07:37 PM
#42 should be "datsitte datsall"
:party:

I love quebecois slang! No other language can claim the sound " sssssssts" as a super bad swear word! ;)

erykah1310
June 14th, 2006, 08:11 PM
LOL, im straight english living with a french man, northern Ontario has all that for slurred slang too!! LOL

Always wondered what they meant when they all said "pis" all the time.
C'est comme, "flambeanue"(stab in the dark with spelling there).
For weeks i tried to figure out what Flambambon meant!!

technodoll
June 14th, 2006, 08:55 PM
that reminded me of something a good friend of ours always said in his best quebecois accent when ordering breakfast in an anglophone neighboorhood... "two eggs side by each and a pair of toasts"..

ROTFLMAO!!!! oh gosh that's sooo funny! :D

Writing4Fun
June 14th, 2006, 09:40 PM
lol... that reminded me of something a good friend of ours always said in his best quebecois accent when ordering breakfast in an anglophone neighboorhood... "two eggs side by each and a pair of toasts".. LOL! My friend always said, "Two heggs, side by each, facing da sun" :D :clown:

Inverness
June 14th, 2006, 09:41 PM
#42 should be "datsitte datsall"
:party:

I love quebecois slang! No other language can claim the sound " sssssssts" as a super bad swear word! ;)

That would be "flambant nu" and it means bare naked... don't tell me the whole story, I don't want to know ! :p

technodoll
June 14th, 2006, 09:45 PM
they forgot one... "kossé sa?" ("what's that?")

i say it all the time, LOL! :D

jesse's mommy
June 14th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Just sound them out. They're just the French version of things like "S'up" or "whatchadoin'". You know?

So if I don't speak any French at all, I should be confused, correct?

Stacer
June 14th, 2006, 09:56 PM
20. What are you doing? - Kessé tufai?

That's the only one I can get. C'est que tu fait? I think I need to move to Quebec for awhile, brush up on my quebecois.

Frenchy
June 14th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the laugh!I needed it today.We do speak like that,it's not even french anymore!It's all very bad "slang".And Erykah;reeeally curious on how come you know;flambant nu!!!;)

technodoll
June 14th, 2006, 10:06 PM
yeah... flambant nu.... or "stark naked".... how did this come up?? :crazy:

mesaana
June 14th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Really funny! :)

Skryker
June 15th, 2006, 02:08 AM
I have just enough French to get about 1/4 of them?:o But "side by each" is something I hear alot around here, along with "two times twice." :)

And the site manager where my husband works is Quebecois and some of his speeches come out rather picturesquely...like explaining the company picnic. Rendered into what the anglophones heard, his instructions were for workers to "bring your midget family only" to the event. The kicker was a co-worker turned to a friend near my husband and said worriedly "But I don't have any midgets in my family!"

meb999
June 15th, 2006, 10:53 AM
That's the only one I can get. C'est que tu fait? I think I need to move to Quebec for awhile, brush up on my quebecois.

kesséktu fa --- (real french : Qu'est ce que c'est que tu fais?) What is it you are doing?

does that help?

Frenchy
June 15th, 2006, 12:46 PM
For those of you who don't live in Québec and never heard french quebecois,you must rent the movie "Slap Shot" (1970's hockey movie featuring Paul Newman) french version (it's in "quebecer") too funny.And funny about this thread is that yesterday morning I was listening to Chom,a Police song was playing,at the end the announcer said the song tittle.NOT ATT ALL WHAT I'VE BEEN SINGING ALL THESE YEARS!!!the song is ; "canary in a cold (cowl??) mine".I tought it was "marrying a poor man".OK,now you can laugh.....:p

Prin
June 15th, 2006, 12:53 PM
So if I don't speak any French at all, I should be confused, correct?
Yeah... Probably.:) :o

phoenix
June 15th, 2006, 01:02 PM
the song is ; "canary in a cold (cowl??) mine".I tought it was "marrying a poor man".

:) "canary in a coal mine"

maddoxies
June 15th, 2006, 01:37 PM
All I can say is "Coll-in!!"

There are days when I do miss hearing French, thanks for the reminders lol

meb999
June 15th, 2006, 03:49 PM
ll I can say is "Coll-in!!"

Kawline-da-bine! -- Holy crap!
My bf (who's english) always says this one in a heavy accent...it's funny....

CyberKitten
June 15th, 2006, 04:15 PM
as in colin de bin, lol We have these slang phrases in the Maritimes too - they are not unque to Quebec tho spelled differently - of there even is a correct way to spell them. lol

technodoll
June 15th, 2006, 04:17 PM
and my favorite, which is used as either an exclamation, a comma, a period... "estie"!! :crazy:

jesse's mommy
June 15th, 2006, 04:29 PM
I keep coming back to this thread in hopes I understand something. I don't know why I even bother. :p

catsnatcher-CDN
June 15th, 2006, 06:50 PM
and my favorite, which is used as either an exclamation, a comma, a period... "estie"!! :crazy:

Too many vowels there, technodoll... it's "sssts"

SunGurl372
June 15th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I keep coming back to this thread in hopes I understand something. I don't know why I even bother. :p

You and me both! :D

technodoll
June 15th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Too many vowels there, technodoll... it's "sssts"

http://www.normsradio.com/components/laugh.gif

Prin
June 16th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Not for long... The Catholic church here is in a furious campaign to get people to stop using "churchy" words as swear words (sorry, I'm not too churchy, so I don't know what the proper adjective is). They've got ads in bus shelters and all over now... We're supposed to switch to saying things like cheese names or tree names or something... Like:

"Non! Camembert!"
"Ah, cheddar!!!"
"Ah, bouleau! C'est pas vrai!"
"Franchment, peuplier!"

(I've heard my man say them jokingly in more elaborate sentences and it's so funny...:D)

CyberKitten
June 16th, 2006, 04:07 AM
I read about Quebec's idea to try to get ppl to change those habits - but I dount it will happen. Too many ppl are accustomed to saying them. And many younger ppl who do not attend Church - even here where someone's 1st language might be English - do not realize the significance of caulice, tabernac, etc. We don't say mon dieu either, it is pronounced "moo dit". I try not to swear but those expressions have found their way into my vocabulary - they seem to be some of the first ones we learn, lol