Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

German Sheppard Skin Problems

Acai
June 14th, 2006, 03:47 PM
My friend's German Sheppard has dry flaky skin, that itches him badly. He is itching himslef until he bleeds and he is biting at it until he is losing his fur. He spends 75% of the day outside on the farm. Could it be his diet, or something else (bugs...) ? If you could help plpease do! Thanks, Acai!:pawprint:

sways_bodyguard
June 14th, 2006, 03:51 PM
i have a dog with major skin problems concerning her feet and the biting off of her pads...
you can overlook my thread and there might be some usefull info in there, 25+ responses,
hope he gets better :)

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=26651

jessi76
June 14th, 2006, 04:05 PM
it could be any number of things. My best advice is to have the skin evaluated by a vet first. Once you have a professional opinion (diagnosis) we may be able to offer better advice.

Acai
June 14th, 2006, 04:22 PM
I have been told German Shepherds suffer from chronic eczema and that is what it looks like. Is it safe to use a powder on him and should we put the cone around his neck?
Thanks Acai:pawprint:

mafiaprincess
June 14th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Get a vet opinion before doing anything to your dog.

SarahLynn123
June 14th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Definatly see a vet first, I have a GSD with much the same problems. Ours is getting much better with a diet change but see your vet becasue it could be something more serious

badger
June 14th, 2006, 05:22 PM
He sounds like he's really suffering. Get him to the vet already!

Prin
June 14th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Don't put creams, powders or jellies on him and don't give any pills until you know what it is (i.e. go to the vet). Without knowing the cause, you're just going to end up making him more uncomfortable than he already is. Poor dog.