Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

YAY new live sheep shipping laws- australia

melanie
January 8th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Now here in Australia we have been having a big problem with the live meat export trade, so in my excitement i must share the following (sorry it is a bit long)

you may have all heard that a few months ago a big shipment of live sheep wre rejected by Saudi Arabia after suspected contamination from meat products, up to 4,000 of the animals have died on board the 'Cormo Express', and animal liberationists are saying execution at sea of the entire surviving cargo is the only humane option left. the animal were executed:mad: at sea and their carcusses dumped (that makes me really mad, what a way to treat an animal). well after big court battles ect australia are setting new rules for the shipment of live export.
it goes like this

The Federal Government is set to enforce greater control over live animal exports after a report into the ill fated voyage of the sheep carrier, the Cormo Express. The Government has conceded that the industry is not properly managed and has promised to act on the findings of a report by Sydney businessman John Keniry. such changes include, health checks of animals, restrictions of what animal can be shipped during northern summers and The other main recommendations are:

A new national code for livestock exports.

Government to assume sole responsibility for granting export licences and enforcing compliance.

More rigorous standards for approving export licences.

Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service to take over role of contracting vets to certify shipments.

A certified vet on all journeys longer than 10 days.

A national response system to manage any future livestock emergency

this is a fantastic leap foreward for the fair treatment of animals in this country, it is about time that we started treating these poor creatures with a little respect, hey they earn alot of money for this country and should be respected and treated propery for this, Yay we may just be moving foreward not backward
:D :D :D

mona_b
January 8th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Wow that is great to hear.:)

Luba
January 8th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Very interesting indeed :D