Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rescue pet and vet shots

lewisw
June 14th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Hi All,
What a great day .
Dani who I mentioned I adopted from Sasha's Den in Rawden is getting her stictches from the spaying operation removed on Friday .

I ran to the vet this past Saturday due to what I thought was chiking episodes but it turned out to be a false alarm as she only did it for a few seconds on Sunday.

Now my big question is I asked the Vet about giving her all the needed shots a normal ine year old dog should get but that my worrie was what if she has already had all her shots.

Since she was a start of course Sasha's Garden would not know her history.
The vet did not seem to be concerned but what is the norm with rescued pets that were strays or abbandoned ?

All the best,
Lewis

OntarioGreys
June 14th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Check with the rescue to see if they had her vaccinated, there should be records, most rescues will vaccinate a dog prior to adopting it out if there is no record of when it was done last.

With Callie she was a return with no record of when she was done last so I had my vet give vaccinations to ensure she had protection, you can also opt for blood titering to see if she has current protection

lewisw
June 14th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Check with the rescue to see if they had her vaccinated, there should be records, most rescues will vaccinate a dog prior to adopting it out if there is no record of when it was done last.

With Callie she was a return with no record of when she was done last so I had my vet give vaccinations to ensure she had protection, you can also opt for blood titering to see if she has current protection

Dani was supposed to be vaccinated when I got her but the vet forgot to do it however even though I insisted not to give me any money back , Claire from Sasha's gave me money to put towards the vaccinations .

This is what my vet said to give her the shots so she has proper protection and not to worry that the chance that she had shots recently are prestty small.

Inverness
June 14th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Our normal procedure would be to have the dog vaccinated, and then spayed/neutered 10-14 days later. In Dani's case, we received your application minutes after she was put up for adoption ;) and we chose to have her spayed immediately so she could leave with you straight away. Furthermore, we prefer not to have the stray dogs vaccinated too quickly in case they are incubating something - we give it time to come out. Since Dani had not been vaccinated prior to leaving, the adoption fee was lower to reflect the cost of the vaccines you will have to give her.

For all our stray dogs and the ones that come to us with no medical history, we assume they are not utd with vaccination. Responsible owners who have their dogs vaccinated would normaly claim them back when they are lost. :(

Just to be safe, you should have your vet vaccinate Dani for DHPP and rabies. Then it's up to you to decide if you want to vaccinate yearly or not. ;)

OntarioGreys, of course we would have provided vaccination certificates for Dani if she had received her shots. ;)

lewisw
June 14th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Our normal procedure would be to have the dog vaccinated, and then spayed/neutered 10-14 days later. In Dani's case, we received your application minutes after she was put up for adoption ;) and we chose to have her spayed immediately so she could leave with you straight away. Furthermore, we prefer not to have the stray dogs vaccinated too quickly in case they are incubating something - we give it time to come out. Since Dani had not been vaccinated prior to leaving, the adoption fee was lower to reflect the cost of the vaccines you will have to give her.

For all our stray dogs and the ones that come to us with no medical history, we assume they are not utd with vaccination. Responsible owners who have their dogs vaccinated would normaly claim them back when they are lost. :(

Just to be safe, you should have your vet vaccinate Dani for DHPP and rabies. Then it's up to you to decide if you want to vaccinate yearly or not. ;)

OntarioGreys, of course we would have provided vaccination certificates for Dani if she had received her shots. ;)

Of course Dani will be vaccinated yearly !!! My baby will be spoiled rotten heh heh !!!

Inverness I need to tell everybody here how welcome you made me and my kids feel at your place . So much so that family friends of ours Joe called you already and is going to adopt from you when you have something for them.

I told him if and when he does I want to go with Dani for the drive up to your place so you can see the huge difference in her. She wags her tail now ALL THE TIME !!! I've only had her almost a week and I love her to pieces....

All the best,
Lewis

Lucky Rescue
June 14th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Of course Dani will be vaccinated yearly !!!

Many people, including lots on this board, see no reason for annual vaccinations.

My dog had all necessary shots and boosters after I got her 4 years ago. Now she ONLY gets a rabies vax every 3 years.

After all, WE got vaccinated as children and then never again, so why should dogs and cats get them all the time?

lewisw
June 14th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Many people, including lots on this board, see no reason for annual vaccinations.

My dog had all necessary shots and boosters after I got her 4 years ago. Now she ONLY gets a rabies vax every 3 years.

After all, WE got vaccinated as children and then never again, so why should dogs and cats get them all the time?

WOW honestly I did not know and will look deeper into these older threads about shots. I remember when Muffin was alive the vet used to call EVERY year to remind me Muffin was due for his shots so I just thought it was the normal.

Thanks Lucky Rescue I will look into this further.
Sincerely,
Lewis

OntarioGreys
June 14th, 2006, 04:06 PM
OntarioGreys, of course we would have provided vaccination certificates for Dani if she had received her shots.

I hope no offence was taken, was just stating how rescues generally worked and to have Lewis contact you first in the event he did not know if she had been vaccinated to avoid the risk of double vaccination as I did not understand the circumstances of Dani's adoption.

Callies adoption was much the same, she was a returned senior who was not fairing well being back in a kennel environment and was refusing to eat, so the adoption group let me take her home without the vet checkup and vaccinations at a reduced adoption fee, with myself having the responsibility in having her vetting done.

I also know sometimes in adoption, and at vets oopses get made, it is rare but happens sometimes a rep can forget to include a certificate, or there is a mix up and an owner gets the wrong dogs paperwork.

On rare occasions we recieved dogs from the US track adoptions groups and vaccinations records get lost or end up handed over to another adoption group before the hauler hit the Buffalo stop to meet the 3 or 4 groups that are collaect dogs at that stop, This can mean problems coming back across the border if we get stopped for proof of rabies and sometimes that means turning around and finding a vet late in the evening to do the vaccinations just so we can get back home.

or in my females greys case I have a vet document that she is male who has been neutered in the state of Florida with date and signature of the performing vet :eek: interesting trying to explain to the city inorder to get the city dog licence :lol

lewisw
June 14th, 2006, 05:26 PM
One last note as I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea of Inverness it WAS me who bugged her day and night to be able to come and get Dani the following day after operation .

Inverness you were probably happy to give Dani to me so I would stop pestering you heh heh :)

Either way Dani is doing fantastic we just got back from a nice walk around centeniial park in DDO and here of course is a picture.

Btw it is amazing how many people I have met in the past week since I got Dani who have rescues !!!!

chico2
June 14th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Lewis,she is just beautiful and it's so great to hear how excited you are about her,Dani is one lucky dog:thumbs up first for ending up in Invernes's care and then yours.

lewisw
June 14th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Thanks Chico2 ,
Dani came at a good time in my life.
Lewis

Prin
June 14th, 2006, 07:31 PM
We didn't get Boo vaccinated right away. Being that he looked close to a year old, it was too likely that he was vaccinated not long before he ran away from his mean first owner and my vet preferred to wait a couple of months just in case, to not vaccinate him twice in a row by accident (he was already pretty weak as it was).

Now we're do distemper every 2 years, rabies every 3, and lepto every year (unless that has changed since last summer).