Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Dog is being a DOG!

LianneCatherine
June 14th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Everything is going very well for me and little Audrie these days. We've been on a good routine and I'm finding very few accidents in the house. When I get home from work in the evening, I like to take her on a long walk.

Now, for those of you who don't know, Audrie is a 5 lb., 6-month old yorkie, and if you know yorkies, you know they think they are rottweilers. Anyway, I'm in the process of maintaining my authority as alpha dog and finding it rather difficult at times.

We were told in obedience class that the pups should walk next to you on the left, and not be 10 feet in front of you pulling the leash. Audrie is getting pretty good about that. However, my issue for taking her on walks is that she has to stop every FOOT to smell something. I can't walk anywhere without having to either stop and let her sniff, or drag her down the street.

I have treats and make noise to distract her, but it's like she's in a magical puppy trance and refuses to pay attention. How can I walk her without looking like demon mom dragging her down the street? Am I supposed to let her stop? Sometimes if I say "no" when she's about to go sniff, she will abstain, but I would be saying no no no no no no no all the way down the hill and back if I wanted her to stop every time.

Any suggestions? Treats, even her favorites, don't stop her from sniffing and marking. (How about one of those cone collars around her head? :evil: )

puppy4ever
June 14th, 2006, 10:12 AM
I have treats and make noise to distract her, but it's like she's in a magical puppy trance and refuses to pay attention. How can I walk her without looking like demon mom dragging her down the street?

LOL. Perfect description! I generally let my guy sniff away & if he is too caught up in his "puppy trance" I start wiggling the leash a little to give him some warning that it is time to go. If I am in a rush I walk fast & keep him close so he doesn't have a chance to lag behind. I've heard the sniffing is a good adventure for them that you generally shouldn't deny them of. Curious to see what other people think...

jessi76
June 14th, 2006, 10:29 AM
ahhhh, the good ol' sniffing issue. I still deal with this. BUT on the advice of my own trainer, I use 2 commands... "OK! Go Sniff" and "NO SNIFF".

walking briskly helps immensely, so get a good pace going first. when your dog stops to sniff, instruct NO SNIFF. I usually add a "LET'S GO!" after it, to encourage my dog to get back with me. YOU lead the walk. You determine WHEN and WHERE miss Audrie will sniff. It helps if you say "LETS GO" like you're going to the best party in the world. Be really happy! so she WANTS to go with you. Make going with you WAYYYY more fun.

When I walk, I pick the spot where I let Tucker sniff all he wants. When we reach this good spot, I say "OK!" (I release him to go do what he wants, sniff, mark, sniff more, etc...)

I've found the pace really determines success. If I walk too slow, it gives Tucker the opportunity to sniff more often, but if I keep a good brisk pace, he's more interested in where I'm going in such a hurry. (and it's better exercise for me anyways!)

jesse's mommy
June 14th, 2006, 06:42 PM
We use the "leave it" command with Jesse. It comes in wonderful if she is walking with us or just in the backyard (I usually use it with the bugs she likes to hunt). Anyway it's great. But I will admit Daddy has "spruced" it up a bit, he says "Ewwww, it's doody" and she just walks away. But Mommy still uses the correct "leave it". And Daddy wonders why he can't control her behavior and establish being the Alpha. Hmmmmm :rolleyes:

glasslass
June 14th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Den-Den and Corky love to stop and sniff too. They'll pass up trees, shrubs, whatever for a short ways and then, all of a sudden, they'll spot their "favorite tree" or their "favorite shrub" or their "favorite whatever". They just have sooooo many favorites! I give in. Afterall, it's their adventure. When I want to really walk, I walk on the pavement along the edge of the street. They seem to know this means no stopping and then they seem to enjoy faster walking.

we3beagles
June 15th, 2006, 02:06 PM
I defy any of you to get a Beagle to stop sniffing. I just make sure they enjoy their walks and let them sniff away. I don't consider it exercise for me and do that seperately. What good is it for a dog to leave a smelly message if no one will let their dogs sniff it. News must be pass on you know. :D